SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Has anyone ever purchased from Printed Silk Fabrics? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Has anyone ever purchased from Printed Silk Fabrics?
Printedsilkfabrics.com online only-- huge selection of silk knits
marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 8/28/10
Send Message

Date: 2/6/11 3:02 PM

This current thread on where to buy silk jersey elicited a link to Printed Silk Fabrics. Their selection of silk knit prints is almost not to be believed, and most are $16.95 a yard.

Has anyone ever ordered fabric or swatches from them? Is the fabric good quality, and the company trustworthy? (They do have a Paypal payment option.)

There is not much information about these knits in the listings (none are described as jerseys, for example), and most are 42 - 45 inches wide. The only other reference to the company I could find on these boards is in AnneM's original '04 post on the Fabric Sources thread. I think I'll order some swatches; just wondering if anyone has more info.

Thanks!

------
marjoriekh

Therisa
starstar
Therisa
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 4/1/07
Send Message

In reply to marjoriekh

Date: 2/6/11 4:40 PM

This looks like a good option to check out. I will also get on board with ordering some swatches.

------
Fabric Purchased in 2011: 37 yards
Fabric Sewn in 2011: 0 yards
Current Contest Moderator: Lined Jacket
Current Contest Participant: Mini Wardrobe

sewingoffthechart
sewingoffthechart  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 4/5/09
Send Message

Date: 2/6/11 7:22 PM

I've never purchased from them before, but I was tempted to try them out. This coupon code took 10% off my shopping cart: 17272116AA

Ody
star
Ody  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 12/6/03
Send Message

In reply to marjoriekh

Date: 2/6/11 7:57 PM

You are an evil enabler. It that place is halfway decent, their fabric looks yummy! Thanks!

------
"Sewing should be fun; make it that way!" Margaret Islander
Flying through life by the seat of my pants and hoping I get my crotch curve right.
"No humiliation is too great for a well fitting pair of pants!" Heidi Cooper
J6500P,
J1600P
J3160DC
J350E
JCP1000
Pfaff C1100 Pro
Babylock Eclipse serger
My grandmother's Feather Weight

MPT
MPT
Member since 5/9/10
Send Message

Date: 2/6/11 10:07 PM

My experience with PrintedSilk.com is overall positive, with a bumpy start. I originally ordered from them once I realized that they carried silk jersey in the exact same material and pattern used by Hale Bob, a designer I really like but whose dresses retail at $300. I ordered 3 items in mid-December (there was a rare sale) and received the order pretty quickly. I'm new to silk jersey, so I can't tell high from mediocre quality, but the material seemed quite nice to me, but lightweight (as it's listed). Unfortunately, one of the items was missing, and another was printed off grain (I still don't know whether that's a problem with silk jersey). I contacted them via e-mail, and heard nothing for a few days (this was right around Christmas). I sent them another (slightly angry) e-mail, and received a swift response. The e-mail apologized for the inconvenience and lack of communication and said that the missing item was out of stock, and I would receive a refund for it. As for the off-grain fabric, they said that I could return it for a refund. Then, a few days later, quite unexpectedly, I received a shipment in the mail of the out-of-stock fabric with another apology for the delay. I checked the website and the item was indeed out of stock--in different color. Perhaps I could have avoided this confusion if I had called instead of e-mailed. In the end, I did get the items that I wanted, and I am happy with them, but PrintedSilk.com still seems to have a few bugs to work out in its on-line business. But at 16.99/yd., it's hard not to cut them a little slack....

marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 8/28/10
Send Message

Date: 2/7/11 10:49 AM

Thank you for that very helpful account, MPT.

It's interesting that you describe the jerseys you got as lightweight, since every knit I looked at closely on their website was described as mid-weight under the blue Description tab (all of these descriptions for knits seem to be identical), and as Heavy in the Weight category under the green Specifications tab.

Would you say that your jerseys are too lightweight for dresses?

I'm going ahead with a swatch order of a couple of the knits and one charmeuse (swatches are $2.95, so a little steep), and I'll report back on what I get.

------
marjoriekh

lakaribane
star
lakaribane
Beginner
HAITI
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to MPT
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/7/11 10:59 AM

Quote: MPT
Perhaps I could have avoided this confusion if I had called instead of e-mailed.

I have to disagree with you there. I have no experience with these sellers but at work right now, I'm dealing with a situation where I'm GLAD I had email proof of what I wanted vs what was delivered from the supplier.

You need written proof, always! Even if you had spoken on the phone, you should follow up with a written account saying "As I mentioned during our phone conversation this morning..."

------
Fashion Maté, where I blog about what I (eventually) sew : http://fashionmate.blogspot.com
Addicted to Pinterest? Me too! : http://pinterest.com/lakaribane/

blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

Date: 2/7/11 11:23 AM

Thanks for the link to this site. I am definitely checking them out.

KarenTeel

KarenTeel
Illinois USA
Member since 4/22/08
Send Message

In reply to Ody

Date: 2/7/11 12:39 PM

I agree Ody. I have avoided silk due to the price for anything worthwhile. This site is going to be a killer for me.

------
Karen

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

In reply to marjoriekh

Date: 2/7/11 12:47 PM

My guess is that they're heavy for silk, since that seems to be all they do.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Has anyone ever purchased from Printed Silk Fabrics?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 07-2005-110

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
New Look 6162

photo
by: CissieW

Review
Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Buy Now
Favorite Things Prairie Girl Pattern

Favorite Things Prairie Girl Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.