SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Low waist and the older woman ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Low waist and the older woman
Frustration
wild wackey woman
wild wackey woman
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/4/06
Send Message

Date: 2/26/11 6:33 PM

As a retiree, i wear pants in the winter and shorts in the summer. making shorts is fun as i buy quilt fabric in wild colors and designs. Absolutely frustrated that all new patterns have low waist lines. Have drafted my own psttern for the past 8 years and just wanted a quick new pattern as I am now a new shape! Anyone else have similar frustration or a suggestion.

------
MONICA

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 2/26/11 6:43 PM

The low waist thing has been a plus for me as I am really short waisted and the 1" below waist mark is right on for me.

------
Ada

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to wild wackey woman

Date: 2/26/11 6:55 PM

I know what you mean about the low waisted stuff. At 56, I'm using patterns I bought in the 80's and 90's. I can still find an occasional new pattern with a "normal" waist line. Butterick 5534 is one that comes to mind. I haven't cut it out yet, but just looking at the line drawing, it looks like a nice trouser height. I'm short waisted/high waisted and I like my pants up around my natural waist line. I have a TNT I use for shorts, Vogue 8085. It's probably out of print by now. Wish I knew how to post a pic. Anyway if you can find this one on ebay, get it. It's a nice fit.

idahodogs
star
idahodogs
Advanced Beginner
Idaho USA
Member since 4/22/08
Send Message

Date: 2/26/11 9:08 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I am 27 and hate the low waists also. I ALWAYS have to wear a belt, and I wouldn't if they would just include the top part of the pants!! Sigh... this is why I learned to sew

crankyoldlady
crankyoldlady
Intermediate
Member since 11/14/08
Send Message

Date: 2/26/11 9:18 PM

My gripe with the low waisted style is that the back pockets are also low which makes my saggy bottom look even saggier.

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 2/26/11 9:38 PM

Christine Jonson pants patterns have very high waists.

my horse
star
my horse
Advanced
North Carolina USA
Member since 5/9/05
Send Message

Date: 2/27/11 2:51 AM

A simple, to-the-waist, small waistband pattern is Burda 2938. It fits very well with a full straight leg that looks nice. I actually can't believe there isn't a ton of reviews for this pattern. Guess I should write one more

------
She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight. Proverbs 31:13 NAS

woggy
woggy  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/15/04
Send Message

In reply to wild wackey woman

Date: 2/27/11 7:27 AM

Yes, I have the same frustrations. Menopause really changed my shape.

It has taken a long time to finally get a pair of slacks to fit me - not trousers but slacks. Trousers have way too wide of hem for my shape. Trousers make me look dumpy.

Woggy

no7262
star
no7262
Beginner
New Jersey USA
Member since 6/5/09
Send Message

In reply to woggy

Date: 2/27/11 8:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, I have the same frustrations. Menopause really changed my shape.

What do you mean by this statement?????????

Nora or maybe ?

------
Nora :)

elizajo
star
elizajo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 4/15/05
Send Message

Date: 2/27/11 10:25 AM

Whether skinny or overweight, low-waist pants drive my short-waisted self nuts. As I get older, I feel more comfortable with a waist band that hits my true waist and a top that is worn untucked. Since menopause, I've gained weight in my waist so there's less difference in waist to hip. I usually eliminate one set of darts or use elastic in some fashion in the waist.

I have been working with Sewing Workshop patterns for the first time, just finishing Valencia one-seam pants. My trial pair are for lounging around, so I used some cotton shirting fabric from my stash. They're very comfortable. I also have the Hudson pattern which includes pants with long darts at the hem. I'm going to cut them out today.

This is a pattern company which seems to design for middle-aged/senior women. Some of the other independent pattern companies do too. We seem to like pants with true waists, tops with higher necklines, and waist-skimming or loose-fitting tops designed to be worn untucked.

------
Elizabeth

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Low waist and the older woman

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Fishsticks Designs The Mama & Baby Bag

photo
by: heemee

Review
Simplicity 4074

photo
by: Salymander...

Review
My Favorite Duffle Bag

My Favorite Duffle Bag

More Info
Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Petite Plus 150 Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.