SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Reliable 20U73 ZIG-ZAG ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Reliable 20U73 ZIG-ZAG
Opinions? Experience?
tholtz
star
tholtz
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 3/29/10
Send Message

Date: 2/28/11 12:08 PM

Hey Everybody,

I'm considering purchasing an "industrial" type machine, specifically the Reliable 20U73 Zig-Zag (also does straight stitch) which comes with a 4000 DC SERVOMOTOR, table with plywood top, LED light, extra feet: zipper, buttonhole, straight, hemming, 2 bobbins, 2 screwdrivers and an embroidery plate.

All this plus free delivery for $799.00 + taxes! Sadly, I paid more for my second hand Sapphire 850 which didn't come with it's own table.

I make a good number of shirts for my husband and I'm starting to get orders. Why do I need another sewing machine? That's the question I'm faced with. I'm a slow sewer so I don't need the speed but what I really want is accuracy. I find the feed dogs on my Sapphire don't grab the fabric when I'm edge stitching which is very important to me when I'm stitching a collar or cuffs. I have looked at the Pfaff domestic Select series with dual feed but I'm sure it would cost more than the Reliable and doesn't come with it's own table.

I would love to sell most of my vintage machines but at the moment, Kijiji is absolutely flooded with over priced "antique" machines. I may try nonetheless, at the price I paid for them or even take a hit but I'm still not guaranteed to sell them. I can't even sell my Janome 1000CPX unless I knock another $100 off the asking price without even making one outfit on it and throwing in a clear foot. I'd gladly trade in my Sapphire for a Baby Lock or Pfaff but I know I'd hemorrhage money on it.

The Reliable doesn't seem like too much machine for me unlike the Consew or other big boys which intimidate the crap out of me and I like the fact that it has a servomotor which is nice and quiet.

What I need from you is your opinion and personal experience. Did you purchase an industrial machine and regret it? Or do you love it? Have you had any problems? There are no reviews on the Reliable machine I'm looking at. There is a dealer not far from my office, I plan to walk over there on a day when it's not raining.

Thank you!!!

- t.

------
http://BendingPins.com

Bernina 550 QE
Janome 350E
Juki HZL-F600

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

Date: 2/28/11 12:50 PM

Consew has that machine, too. As does almost every industrial company. Pfaff's is 114. I could have gotten a Consew for roughly $500, but I would have picked it up myself.

I got used Pfaff 138-6 instead. I do not regret it one iota! It is my "go to" machine. The industrial tables are so adjustable, you can get them set up exactly how you want them. This means less back pain!

When I was shopping, most people were reluctant to sell me the 20U73 for some reason. They were really pushing a straight stitcher, but I needed zig-zag for attaching rings to roman shades, bar-tacking belt loops, etc. A lot of people love the model, however.....so I say go for it! I hope someone who owns one steps up to answer you.

The one drawback of industrial is you can't move the machine upstairs. Mine is in the basement. If I want to sew in the evenings around family, I have to use my crappy little portable. I didn't know it was crappy until I went industrial. As a result, I'm looking at a semi-industrial straight stitcher for sewing upstairs. Crazy!

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 2/28/11 1:11 PM

I've been thinking about that machine, also the Bernina 950, a semi industrial.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to diane s

Date: 2/28/11 1:16 PM

D. Its my understanding that tacsew makes the Bernina model.. its the same machine. but costs more with the bernina label.. I also ..as one who has recently researched these .. don't recommend it.. and if I wasn't having a senior moment could tell you why.. When I remember I will come back and post.
For more information on these indeustrials.. go to ebay and pop up the industrial machines.. Loads of different models and information ...

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 2/28/11 1:40 PM

I have a Singer 20U, which is a Japanese-made almost vintage (1980s) version of this machine. I paid $500 for it a few years back, then popped another $279 last year for a servo motor. So I think you're getting a good price on yours.

One thing I really like about this machine as the straight stitch feed dogs+plate you can installed for precision SSing. I wish I could find more zz feet for it that will accommodate it's 9mm stitch width.

Jennifer in Calgary

tholtz
star
tholtz
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 3/29/10
Send Message

Date: 2/28/11 1:47 PM

Well, I just spoke with a salesman from Canadian Steam Iron & Sewing. His father used to work with the original owner of Reliable and he said that he would NOT buy one of their machines. He also said that if I were interested in purchasing an industrial machine, I should get a Juki 8300 with a Servomotor for the same price including table. He said that's the ONLY brand he'd buy. He was extremely knowledgeable but spoke so fast, I could barely absorb all the information. He knew the history of every manufacturer on the planet! I'm exhausted after talking to him, must rest...

Okay, who owns a Juki??

------

Bernina 550 QE
Janome 350E
Juki HZL-F600

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 2/28/11 2:17 PM

The Juki is a much better investment, even though it is only a straight stitcher. The 8300 has come down in price so much since the 8700 and 9000 have come out.

tholtz
star
tholtz
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 3/29/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/28/11 2:34 PM

How much are the 8300's going for? CSIS quoted me $800 with a Servomotor. This is Canada, where everything is more expensive because we roll over and take it. Oh, and tax me severely too please, I love it!

------

Bernina 550 QE
Janome 350E
Juki HZL-F600

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 2/28/11 4:16 PM

The lowest price I'm seeing on eBay is $674(U.S.) for the machine, table and servo motor. Nice! And you can get a 40 piece presser foot set for about $85 so that a little over $2 a foot! These feet will also work on the Juki TL series, too.

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

Date: 2/28/11 4:21 PM

FWIW, I asked my repairman what the best brand is if I were to buy a new industrial machine. He said Juki......still made in Japan, not China.

Good Luck!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Reliable 20U73 ZIG-ZAG

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Simplicity 2593

photo
by: Gatorbunny

Review
Petite Plus D202 DVD

Petite Plus D202 DVD

Buy Now
Sewn Square One Go Anywhere Dress Pattern

Sewn Square One Go Anywhere Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.