SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Strecth bengaline in the USA? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Strecth bengaline in the USA?
looking for a USA source
sewing for fun
star
sewing for fun  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/3/06
Send Message

Subject: Stretch bengaline in the USA? Date: 3/30/11 0:16 AM

Specifically for stretch woven pants (not a flimsy weight) such as the Style Arc Linda pants pattern. I see the Aussie ladies have sources there, but looking for someplace to purchase for delivery in the US.
-- Edited on 4/2/11 1:06 AM --

qz
qz  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 9/9/05
Send Message

In reply to sewing for fun

Date: 3/31/11 4:10 AM

Me too!! and for the same reason (Style Arc pant patterns).

The ladies from Australia described the best blend for the fabric content as being Rayon/Nylon/Spandex (the best quality; as much as a 35% stretch), Polyester/Rayon Lycra (mid-road; about a 20% stretch) and finally Polyester/Lycra (low end; no stretch percentage but one poster said this was 'scratchy' on the skin). Per Chloe of style arc, the pattern I have (Kate's Cruisin Capri's). was designed for a N/S/P blend with a 30% stretch.

With the above information - I went hunting and what I found was a single source on ebay that sells what he calls stretch bengaline -- a brown in the P/R/S blend, and other colors in the P/S. Given this was the only source I could find I ordered a chunk of both blends and when it arrives I'll sew up a mockup of the kate pants in each and post a report. I'm hopefully going to find that a 20% will work 'okay' since it is all I could find.

His prices were cheap, btw -- worked out to approx $6.00/yard after I paid shipping.

Something my research taught me is that in the USA, sometimes this fabric is referred to as 'stretch faille' -- so as you check fabric stores in your area (if you're lucky enough to have them) be sure to reference this fabric both ways. Where I am, I have ONE decent fabric store (Haberman's) who had never heard of a stretch bengaline, and who did not carry a stretch faille.

If you find a source, please be sure to post it. I am definately interested in finding some of a better quality blend and/or have options beyond plain solids. I'm sure the other USA customer's of Style Arc will be greatful as well. thanks!!

Rowena B
star
Rowena B  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 10/2/02
Send Message

Date: 3/31/11 6:20 AM

If you are using 20% stretch, with the Cruising Kate Pants, make sure you add a little extra to the side seam just in case. My first pair with the 20% bengaline were verrrrry tight, very RTW but not too comfortable.
-- Edited on 3/31/11 6:22 AM --
-- Edited on 3/31/11 6:26 AM --

------
Perth, Western Australia

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

Date: 3/31/11 7:06 AM

Wikipedia has this to say about it:

Quote:
Pique, coachman's whipcord, diagonal serge, and surah are similar to bengaline silk.

and I also found descriptions saying that it has a crosswise rib, & is similar to faille but heavier.

This isn't stretch, but this page gives an idea of what the fabric looks like close-up
bengaline

I found one source of stretch bengaline that doesn't currently carry it, & that's it! :o

Maybe this would work: 25% stretch pique that is described as 'medium weight'. (Oh, I just realized that is for a 15 yard bolt!)

-- Edited on 3/31/11 7:07 AM --

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

Vonnevo
starstarstarstar
Vonnevo  Friend of PR
AUSTRALIA
Member since 10/25/04
Send Message

Date: 3/31/11 7:41 AM

The bengaline we have here in Australia, normally has the stretch running parallel to the selvedge. The garments are cut with the pattern's grainline laid between the selvedges - opposite to the normal layout.

I have bengaline fabric in woven stripes and solid colours, some plain and some with a woven rib pattern or tiny pleats. The fabric is very popular in RTW and several fashion chains carry pull-on Bengaline pants, as a staple fashion item. The colours vary from season to season and the lengths change from full length in winter to capri length or 7/8 in summer.

Not in the USA but a good bengaline - closeup photo

-- Edited on 3/31/11 7:44 AM --

------
Vonne O Brisbane Australia
---------------------------------
Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age and dreams are forever.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

In reply to AnneM

Date: 3/31/11 7:41 AM

Quote:
This isn't stretch, but this page gives an idea of what the fabric looks like close-up

While stretch bengaline does have the ribs it doesn't look like (non-stretch) bengaline. The ribs are much, much finer. Really fine. They aren't noticable like in the photo.

Fabric.com had some stretch bengaline recently. I believe a lot of PR members snapped it up as there was some discussion about it on the boards at the time. HTH

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

In reply to Rowena B

Date: 3/31/11 7:48 AM

Quote:
If you are using 20% stretch, with the Cruising Kate Pants, make sure you add a little extra to the side seam just in case. My first pair with the 20% bengaline were verrrrry tight, very RTW but not too comfortable.

I agree with Rowena on this. I've made the Cruising Kate pants using two types of stretch bengaline (SB). The first pair had 35% stretch and were tight. Too tight. The second pair I made using a SB with 50% stretch were much better. For the Linda pants I used SB with 25% and the fit was spot on. It pays to cut with wide side seam allowanes just in case. HTH

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

Debbie Cook
starstarstarstar
Debbie Cook
USA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

In reply to Sew4Fun

Date: 3/31/11 8:02 AM

Quote: Sew4Fun
Fabric.com had some stretch bengaline recently.

It wasn't the good stuff.

------
--
"I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch." Gilda Radner
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com

JDpenelope
starstar
JDpenelope  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/9/03
Send Message

Date: 3/31/11 8:13 AM

A long time ago, and I mean years, I purchased a fabric from Wazoodle that was called stretch bengaline. I just did a search and found no bengaline now, stretch or non-stretch. And I believe I read here that the site has fallen out of favor.

Just searched on tutu.com, where I recently purchased non-stretch bengaline, but didn't see any stretch bengaline. Good luck!

------
aka Joanne. (Penelope was our cat. RIP.)
"What mother nature gives, father time takes away."
Yahoo group: Sewing-with-Industrial-Machines

qz
qz  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 9/9/05
Send Message

Date: 3/31/11 8:46 AM

I have hunted high and low, and the only USA based resource I found thus far was the store on ebay -- he doesn't reference stretch percentage, and what he has is not the good stuff (R/N/S), but I'm buying from him anyway -- just in case, because he's the only one I've found thus far.

question to the Aussie ladies -- if it comes to this -- would any of you help one of your cousin sewists from accross the pond and ship fabrics to me? I would, of course, pay the postage costs etc -- but even going to the australian stores mentioned elsewhere as potential sources for this fabric has yielded no results and I'm feeling a bit at my wits end. If you're willing, send me a PM. Thanks. -- mlss
-- Edited on 3/31/11 8:47 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Strecth bengaline in the USA?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Vogue Patterns 8278

photo
by: Alice Wang

Review
Silhouette Patterns 500

photo
by: JEF

Review
Christine Jonson Three Tees

Christine Jonson Three Tees

Buy Now
Paradiso Designs Lolita Simple Skirt Formula Pattern

Paradiso Designs Lolita Simple Skirt Formula Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.