SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Joanns linen blends, linen/rayon, linen/cotton, and pure linen ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Joanns linen blends, linen/rayon, linen/cotton, and pure linen
feel rough, does it soften up when washed?
JeannieR
JeannieR  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 7/9/09
Send Message

Date: 4/12/11 8:02 PM

Has anyone bought any of this? How did it wash up?

Even the 100% linen seemed rough. Isn't that supposed to soften up when washed?

I've been tempted the last two weeks to buy some of this. I had a bunch in my cart today and put it back. It's 50% off.

The stuff I did buy, I used my Patternreview 10% discount and it worked even though everything I bought was all ready on sale.

I have to have really soft next to my skin. I found some in the red tag area for 7$ a yard, so 50% off of that. I was a big floral print. Afraid husband wouldn't like it, and or it would make me look fatter than I already am. Keep thinking about it though.

Might have to go back

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/12/11 8:10 PM

There are many different qualities and grades of linen. Not being a snob, but Joann's generally sells lower quality linens. You really get what you pay for with some fabrics. Linen is graded just like cotton and silk in manufacturing. I'm guessing your linen may be spun with very short fibers.

For a glimpse at good linen, call Michael's fabrics in Baltimore and have him send you a few samples. He has sales from time to time.

Sawyer Brook carries good linen.

Yes, I know Joann's fabrics very well. They are usually heavily sized with a stiffener and I regret them every time.

Patti B
starstarstarstar
Patti B  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/29/02
Send Message

Date: 4/12/11 8:11 PM

I haven't been thrilled with the linen and linen blends from Joann's but that's just my experience.

------
Patti

R-r-r-ripping my way to fitting success

Erica B.
starstarstarstar
Erica B.
Advanced
Member since 6/6/06
Send Message

Date: 4/12/11 10:59 PM

I bought some 100% linen from Joann's a few days ago. I've already washed and dried it and it feels nice and soft to me. I plan on making a pair of relaxed linen pants. I have no problem with it.

------
Erica B.
Birmingham, AL
http://www.ericabunker.com

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to JeannieR

Date: 4/12/11 11:09 PM

A couple of years ago, I made my son's guayabera wedding shirt of a 50/50 linen/cotton blend from Joann's, of all places. I had previously bought pure, 100% handkerchief linen from two sources, but I washed and dried all three pieces, and guess what: The Joann's blend was both the softest and most agreeable to work with.

The quality of Joann's fabrics depends on where they got it and when. I'd suggest buying a yard, if you haven't already, and test-washing it to see how it feels to you.

quathy
star
quathy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 6/3/06
Send Message

Date: 4/12/11 11:32 PM

I bought a 100% linen at JA's, washed in hot water 3 times, and it was very soft and quite nice. I should mention that I've never worn or owned anything linen prior to that, so YMMV. I don't wear what I made with it because it's not the right style for me and makes me look like a gorilla in a Jedi robe. I have plans to dissect it and create a vest...

I also bought a linen blend with lycra, did the same prewash in hot 3 times, and it pilled and warped and became one of the most hideous pieces I've ever purchased. Big YUCK. Not sure if it was the prewash, the hot water, or just that I realized how awful it is... it now feels and looks like a cotton duck canvas in bright peach, not at all what I'd hoped.

mrsbewley
starstar
mrsbewley  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 8/14/08
Send Message

Date: 4/13/11 8:52 AM

I'm another happy owner of the 100% linen from JA's. I bought some last year and made a very comfy dress out of it (review). In fact I bought another piece of it (different colors) on clearance and plan to make another dress.

The 100% linen does wash up nice and soft. I do have some of the linen blend in my stash, but I haven't done anything with it yet, so can't comment.

JeannieR
JeannieR  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 7/9/09
Send Message

Date: 4/13/11 8:21 PM

Wow, Thank's everybody. I just got back and bought a beautiful large flower print/white background on 100% linen, and linen/rayon.

This Joanns had the white 100%. I think now I should have bought it......Like I need more fabric. I have bunches from shopping last year wanting to make summer clothes, skirts , blouses, vests.

I've just been obsessed with the idea of linen I guess.

They are in the washer on hot right now. I'll let you know

Jeannie

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
Montana USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

In reply to mrsbewley

Date: 4/14/11 9:41 AM

Adorable dress!

I'm off to Joann's today and I will have to check out their linen.

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

JeannieR
JeannieR  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 7/9/09
Send Message

Date: 4/14/11 11:46 AM

Ok, washed and dried linen three times. The rayon/linen is too stiff and rough for me.

But, I am so excited about the print large poppys on white is just nice! It was 100% linen. It did seem like a lighter fabric to start with also.

I was looking at the muslin they had on sale too, I think. And it was 100% cotton and some of it seemed almost like a batiste and the hand was soft. Well, as soft as anything gets at Joanns with all the sizing they put in everything.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Joanns linen blends, linen/rayon, linen/cotton, and pure linen

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Petite Plus 504 Pattern

Petite Plus 504 Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.