Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > New diagnosis for DS ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
New diagnosis for DS
officially labeled a child with Aspergers
Larisa
starstarstar
Larisa
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 7/15/05
Login to reply to this post

Date: 4/14/11 8:15 PM

Ok, since we have such a wealth of knowledge in this group, I figured I'd post here and ask for direction....the doc gave me a folder with some decent sources, but I was hoping that there would be someone with real life experience that could give me some advice.

So....please give me some help here....

------
research associate in the field of child development, married to an engineer

I am woman, I am invincible, I...am...TIRED!!

happytobehere
happytobehere
Beginner
Member since 7/31/10

Date: 4/14/11 8:38 PM

I don't know much but I'll start this off by saying a woman I work with has a son with Aspergers. He is quite bright but has no social skills. We would try to make conversation with him just to be friendly and meet up with a stone wall.
Once we knew of his condition we were much more understanding.
In the fifties when I was growing up this would have been kept a secret in the family (not that it would have been diagnosed anyway in those days). I think being open and honest can only help. I wish you the best as it is difficult enough to raise a family without any issues.
I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice from our sewing friends here.

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
MA USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator

Date: 4/14/11 9:22 PM

Asperger's Syndrome is on the autism spectrum and as such how a person presents with symptoms is totally unique. Some are more affected than others in terms of the symptoms. Some people show numerous symptoms and some only show one. Some are totally asocial and others just appear to be shy. Most are quite intelligent.

But the good news is your son definitely is entitled to support in the classroom that will help him meet his educational goals.

If you've been watching American Idol, one of the singers openly announced his diagnosis and he is a talented musician who is married with a child. I've met professors and more than a few scientists who were on the spectrum during my decades in education.

You will find your DS easier to understand if you do some reading on how the brain functions for him. There are some great resources on the web- including support groups.Aspergers Support Group

-- Edited on 4/14/11 9:23 PM --

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 5/11/08

Date: 4/14/11 9:43 PM

Exactly what Sharon said above. If you also need to talk, feel free to PM me. I taught reg ed but all Aspergers and autistic labeled kids came through my class. There is lots of support both in the school and community!

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

CurlySu717
CurlySu717  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 10/26/06

Date: 4/14/11 10:44 PM

I think my BIL is an undiagnosed Asperger's kid. I dated my husband for 2 years before he'd say more than 3 words to me.

From what I understand, because Asperger's kids are so smart, they can often learn the social skills they don't naturally have. I remember hearing a story on NPR about some sort of after-school program that literally taught kids how to interact with each other, how to make conversation, how to respond to someone, etc.

------
"To love another person is to see the face of God!" ~Les Miserables

www.lillianbettyandsibyl.blogspot.com

DoggyGirl
star
DoggyGirl
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 10/15/06

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 4/14/11 11:31 PM

A friend of mine has a son with Asperger's. She told me that the best advice she got compared his learning of social skills to learning a new language. I.e. social skills are basically a foreign language - they don't come naturally to someone with Aspergers.

Beth

Sherril Miller
starstarstarstar
Sherril Miller  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 8/24/02

Going to PR Weekend Austin!

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 4/15/11 0:14 AM

Larisa, I just want to give you a great big hug. I know exactly what you are going through. I went through it with my son. When he was in 2nd grade he was diagnosed with ADHD and we started him on stimulants. He is 16 today and still on stimulants. When he was in 4th grade, he was diagnosed with a emotional disability and placed in Special Ed at the regular school. No one wanted to say the word Asperger's to us, but the school psychiatrist began his treatment as if he had Asperger's. They did include "Autistic-like behaviors" as part of his diagnosis.

I just want you to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel with this diagnosis. My son has gone from a completely non-comunicative person person who had no friends and didn't know how to act in social situations and who would rage violently out of control when he was pressed into situations that made him uncomfortable.

My son was fortunate to get placement into a non-public school for autistic kids and if you were to meet him today you might pick up on a bit of oddness about him, but maybe not. He is very active in community theater and this semester I pulled him out of the special ed school and he is attending public high school in their special ed program. He is the star of the drama class and has started an Anime club at this new high school. He has lots of friends and either I have a house full of boys or he is at his friends house almost every week-end. If you would have told me 7 years ago that my son would have even one friend, I wouldn't have believed it. He was depressed and told me repeatedly that he wanted to die. It's hard to believe that my son today is the same child. Some days the only thing that kept me going is knowing that however hard it was to be my son's mother, it was even more difficult to be my son. It breaks my heart to even remember these moments to tell our story here. My son is embarrassed about his behaviors during those years, but he knows it was his disability that caused those behaviors, something he couldn't control anymore that you can stop a train wreck.

He is already on-track to graduate next year from high school and is going to be attending a Jr. college to make up the work he missed being in a special ed school so that he can transfer to the university of his choice. Ideally he would go right into the university from high school, but the special ed label on his transcript classes means that he has to take a lot of classes over again to show proficiency without the special ed label. It will take him much longer to get his college degree, but it's something he is determined to do and I'm sure he will.

I just want you to know that there are success stories out there with Asperger kids--that's what my son has, diagnosis or not. Love him and train him. Many things that are innate to you and me must be taught to our kids. How to look a person in the eyes when you talk to them, how to communicate and not have to conversation center around their highly focused single subject, how to give people their personal space, etc. These are things that Asperger kids just don't understand. Be very consistent on behavior modification and consequences. Take all emotion out of your voice when disciplining your son. Go cry later when he isn't watching if you have to (you know I did many times), but don't take his behavior personally, even though it's easy to feel that way.

I'll shut up now, and you can PM me here or on FB any time you have questions or just want to talk.

------
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com

If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL

kellbatt
kellbatt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/22/09

Date: 4/15/11 2:17 AM

My son was diagnosed with Aspergers two years ago at age 13, we always thought he was on "the spectrum" but took many years to finally get the diagnosis.
There are many good books out there on the topic, look up Tony Attwood, he is very well regarded in this field.
As you are in another part of the world to me, i can only offer general advice. Get in contact with your local Autism Association and register with them. As a result of doing this we have been able to access a couple of different programs dealing with social skills, it is also a great way to meet other parents in the same situation as yourself.
My son has been seeing a psychologist for about 3 years, and she has been vital in helping him deal with anxiety, outrages and meltdowns. She has supported my husband and my self in modifying some of his more destructive/ violent behavior, if possible have your husband attend as many of the appointments regarding your son, it is so much easier than reporting back, and it makes sure you are both on the same page when dealing with him.
My Dh and I celebrate small victories, such as Ds handing in assignments on time (he is very unorganised) and stay in regular contact with his High School teachers, they email us his assignments and any other subject info too.
You will have good days and bad days, you will have to teach and reteach him things that you never thought you would have too, but it is all worth it when they get the hang of it and the pride they have.
Please feel free to ask me anything else.
All the best,
Kellbatt

lareine
star
lareine  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 11/10/06

Date: 4/15/11 4:48 AM

I'm pretty sure I am on the spectrum for Asperger's, at least in some areas. I've never been formally diagnosed but all the signs point towards it. I'm very intelligent but have no clue how to read or respond to social cues. What seems to me to be totally acceptable behaviour, because it's based on logic, is viewed by others to be rude, unhelpful, aggressive, or just generally unfriendly. I never mean to be any of those things, but social conventions don't make much sense to me and I don't always speak or act the way that people expect in a social situation.

I had to learn over the years to read the signs that somebody else expected me to respond in a certain way, and then give the expected response. Reading books on human behaviour helped a lot as I understand what is expected of me. It is definitely a mental learning process rather than a felt one. I've just learned to soften how I deal with other people even if it still makes no sense to me.

As well as the social awkwardness, I need to have everything planned and get very upset and stressed if my plans are changed at the last minute. I'm fine with planning to do nothing, or planning to just float around and see what happens, but even those things have to be planned in advance. I'm sure this is part of it.

I agree with the points above that training is required -- it's certainly what I needed. I just wish somebody had figured out that I needed help while I was a lonely teenager or young adult, wondering why nobody wanted to spend time with me. My husband knows that I have problems with social behaviour and he tells me if I need to change what I'm doing, and constantly reinforces it. I need that too.
-- Edited on 4/15/11 4:51 AM --

Mary W
star
Mary W  Friend of PR
Advanced
PA USA
Member since 8/24/02

Date: 4/15/11 7:34 AM

My 13 year son was diagnosed with Asperger's at the age of 4.An astute preschool teacher suggested I have him evaluated after observing some of his behaviors.Over the years there have been some very trying times. He still has some trouble controlling his anger and this poses problems at school. He is in regular education classes and doing fairly well. We do have to keep a close watch on him academically. He was in an Autism support classroom for 1-3 grade and missed out on some of the basics as a result.He has pretty much caught up. His social skills continue to improve, but he still does not have much of a social life. Sherril Miller summed it up very well. If I can be of any help please PM me.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> New diagnosis for DS

Merchants on PR
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Online Sewing Classes
Fit the Tee to a T
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Fit the Tee to a T

BurdaStyle Magazine 06-2011-124
photo
Review by Heatherriq... on 7/24/11
Read Review

SewBaby Animal Mittens Pattern
SewBaby Animal Mittens Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Favorite Things Blossoms & Bloomers Pattern
Favorite Things Blossoms & Bloomers Pattern

Details
Price: $14.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Tiny Pocket Tank
Tiny Pocket Tank

Details
Price: $6.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sis Boom Dana Top and Dress Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Dana Top and Dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue Patterns 1059 MISSES' PANTS
photo
Review by kidmd on 10/7/12
Read Review

New Look 6777 Pattern
New Look 6777 Pattern

Details
Price: $4.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6854 Pattern ( Size )
McCalls 6854 Pattern ( Size  )

Details
Price: $17.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN