SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Collar adaptation technique by Louise Cutting ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Collar adaptation technique by Louise Cutting
as seen on Martha's Sewing Room
KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 4/16/11 7:01 AM

I caught the last of the PBS episode with Louise Cutting demonstrating a very interesting collar technique. I have been searching the internet and cannot find info (including Cutting Line web site). She also quickly showed some great tops but did not say what patterns they were Anyone know where I can find her technique to go through it at a very slow pace?

btw - I just made a muslin of the Ebb top and think it would be great in a very soft linen

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 4/16/11 8:04 AM

Here's Louise's website: http://www.fabriccollections.com/
That's about all I can help with.... What kind of collar was featured, Kathy?

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

m/m

m/m  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 4/4/05
Send Message

Date: 4/16/11 8:37 AM

Are you talking about Louise's collars that are cut in one piece with only a center back seam and no seams at the center front? If so, one of her now sadly out-of-print booklets has instructions for using a regular collar pattern cut in two pieces to redraw the collar pattern so that it's in one piece. It makes for much sharper edges at the center front and lots less bulk. It looks like the first dvd that she did for Threads magazine has the directions (http://store.threadsmagazine.com/threads-insider-industry-techniques-dvd-031016.html). Louise also sells the dvd (http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=70873241147137087&Store_id=516&page_id=23&Item_ID=1268) .

It's a great technique and Louise's directions are terrific.

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 4/16/11 8:41 AM

Ah...take a look at this fairly recent thread. The Collar

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
online now
Send Message

Date: 4/16/11 8:44 AM

It sounds a lot like Nancy Zieman's magic collar.
Nancy collar instructions

Is this similar to what you are looking for? If so, it does make lovely collars.

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

Teeavilnor
star
Teeavilnor  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Connecticut USA
Member since 10/12/07
Send Message

In reply to EleanorSews

Date: 4/16/11 8:59 AM

Thank you so much, I've seen this done on PBS but to have the actual instructions written down is much better. Thank you again.

------
Teri
Janome Sew Precise, DC4030PR, 634D, & 900CP,
Singer 1952 15-91
Great sewing is knowing exactly, what your machine will do.

carolynw
starstarstar
carolynw  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 3/19/05
Send Message

Date: 4/16/11 9:57 AM

I first found out about this technique when sewing Louise's "A Perfect Blouse" pattern - have found it since on some of Sandra B's patterns. It is really a great way to do a collar

blue mooney
starstarstar
blue mooney
Intermediate
Member since 12/21/02
Send Message

In reply to KathySews

Date: 4/16/11 2:27 PM

You can convert just about any collar to a Louise Cutting type using Nancy Zieman's method. I guess it could be called either a Louise collar or a Nancy collar....or a Sandra collar! Anyway, I've adapted several of my standard collar patterns this way, and it has always worked like a charm for me.

The modified collar piece does take up more space in your fabric layout, so if you're running short of material, that's not the time to try it.

Kathy, I'm looking forward to seeing your Ebb top!

-- Edited on 4/16/11 2:28 PM --

------
--Robyn
sewing blog: http://bluemooney.wordpress.com/
other artwork blogged here: http://robynjorde.com/blog/

Kathi R
star
Kathi R  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 2/28/05
PR Weekend Volunteer
Send Message

In reply to KathySews

Date: 4/16/11 2:32 PM

I'm sure you will like the Ebb shirt. I made 5 versions a couple of years ago and they are my go to shirts for everyday with jeans wear. I love them - made all of them out of cotton lawn, cooler than a Tshirt but just as easy to wear without knit cling showing bumps and lumps.

Thanks to IreneQ for her reviews of the pattern - I think I'll go through the stash and cut some new ones for this summer.

------
2012 : starting stash 386, net additions 206, used 164, ending stash 428...I'm never going to get in front of this pile of fabric!

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 4/16/11 3:01 PM

this is great! I go away for a few hours and answers magically appear. Thanks all.

I had to make a fba in my ebb blouse and still fiddling with it to get it right. IreneQ's review is helpful for that. Hope to get a review done but I hate doing the photography stuff. I believe my new years resolution involved more reviews.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Collar adaptation technique by Louise Cutting

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 1020

photo
by: Timmithea

Review
Christine Jonson Fitted Jacket

Christine Jonson Fitted Jacket

More Info
Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Petite Plus 502 Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.