SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Spaces > pattern storage ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
pattern storage
file cabinets?
BarbieB
BarbieB  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arizona USA
Member since 8/21/03
Send Message

Date: 4/29/11 1:23 PM

I am trying to organize my sewing room. I was planning on buying a file cabinet for my patterns. There are 2 sizes; letter is 15 inches wide and legal is 18 inches. I tried the 15 inch, it seems as if the patterns won't fit well. Has anyone had any experience with this?
I looked and couldn't find this in the topics. Thanks for your help.

glenj

glenj
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/6/08
Send Message

In reply to BarbieB

Date: 4/29/11 7:07 PM

bump

Lynnelle
starstarstar
Lynnelle  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/8/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to BarbieB

Date: 4/29/11 8:05 PM

I keep my patterns stored in a four-drawer, letter-sized metal file cabinet. I have over 200 patterns and don't have any problems with storing them in the cabinet.

McCall's patterns won't fit side to side in the drawer, but Butterick and McCall's will. Simplicity fits side to side as does the smaller Vogue patterns, New Look, and Burda. Hot Patterns and Burda Magazines fit well if arranged laterally instead of vertically. Jalie patterns are slightly too wide, but will fit at an angle.

cabinet
open 1
open 2
open 3

L-

Edited to change "legal-sized" to "letter-sized." A legal-sized cabinet will definitely give more room! But, I have a letter-sized cabinet. My mistake!
-- Edited on 4/30/11 7:42 AM --

rag doll
star
rag doll  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 1/31/06
Send Message

In reply to BarbieB
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/29/11 8:36 PM

I have been organising my patterns and somewhere on PR found another good tip for pattern storage. Sorry I don't remember where but this is how it goes...

I take the pattern and instructions out of the envelope and put it in a clear self seal bag (purchased bulk at an office store) I then number the bag on top left and file my patterns in number order in the filing cabinet drawers. I have 4 ring binder A5 files (pattern envelope size) marked pants, skirts etc and I just file the empty pattern envelopes in these. I have used this system for about a year and I'm finding that I'm using what patterns I have much more and I can take my file into the living room, to the fabric store etc to "shop".

I also have a file for my fabric stash and snip a piece of fabric off before storing it away. I then write the details of the fabric etc on a sheet and the location of the fabric. This took me ages to get organised but so worth it. I actually use my stuff now! It's easy when all the hard work is done as you only have to catalogue each piece of fabric as it's purchased. There's a PR fabric storage sheet titled Fabric Organiser. Someone might be able to point you to it if interested.

------
Brother QC1000, Brother PQ1500, Bernina Virtuosa 160, Pfaff (old), Babylock BLCS, Bernette 1100D, Bernette 334DS

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 4/29/11 10:27 PM

I'm witgh Lynn on this. I have an opportunity to use either a letter or legal size filing cabinet and have decided the wider legal size will be the more efficient storage.

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 4/30/11 11:22 AM

I have a 4 drawer legal filing cabinet for my patterns. So far I have filled 3 of the drawers with sewing patterns.

I put the pattern envelope contents into a manila envelope in the filing cabinet numerically by pattern company. When I use a pattern I write the date, size fabric etc on the envelope. The manila envelope is large enough that I can put tracings of the pattern inside.

The original pattern envelope goes into a page protector and into a 3 ring binder. I have 3 binders.

1: Kwiksew only
2: all other pattern companies
3: patterns for my dd

With in each binder the patterns are sorted into categories.

If I am going to a class or retreat, I hole punch the manila envelope and put it and the original pattern envelope in its page protector into a class binder to take with me.

I bought my filing cabinet from a government surplus for $45.00. It is very heavy duty.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

V8Mustang
star
V8Mustang
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 11/25/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/6/12 12:52 PM

I have a huge collection of patterns (almost embarrassing to say how many). I had kept my patterns in plastic storage drawer units however, they stopped making the size I needed and I was at a loss. Then we moved into a new house with a nanny suite. We use that space for a project room. It has a mini kitchen along one wall with two sets of IKEA drawer units. The lower two drawers are the exact width and height for three rows of patters. It is fabulous.

I have over 500 patterns (I collect them at garage sales and thrift stores!) and I have the whole collection in 4 of these drawers, with room for more! Even the large Vogue specialty patterns fit, you just have to put them on their side.

As you can see in this picture I place each of my patterns in clear zip lock bags to protect them, and it makes it easier to repackage the tissue in an especially bulky pattern.

reya98

reya98  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 8/16/09
Send Message

Date: 5/30/12 0:00 AM

(deleted duplicate message)
-- Edited on 5/30/12 0:04 AM --

reya98

reya98  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 8/16/09
Send Message

Date: 5/30/12 0:04 AM

Has anyone looked into comic book storage? I saw a recommendation for cardboard hanging file storage boxes (a 1/2 size storage box with a hinged lid), which led me to think about comic book storage - since other have recommended backer boards as a mini bolt.

Anyway, this is what I found: Drawer Boxes.

I take my patterns out of the envelopes and put the tissue and directions in quart-sized ziplock bags, which are 7"w x 8.75"h, so I think these would work. (The pattern envelopes go in page protectors in a 3-ring binder as a personal pattern catalog.)

I'd love to hear if anyone has used something like this.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 5/30/12 0:52 AM

Reya, I have a few hundred in the comic boxes. They seem to be the same size pattern boxes are, and I used to date the comic book guy...so they were a lot cheaper then buying them.

I probably could use the backing boards with them, and it might make it easier but the boy uses all the boards for his comics. They're smaller then Vogue, however, but the other ones fit in it fine. My only concern on the drawer is that the tops of the patterns fit with a lid pretty tight, so would they be able to slide out easily?

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> pattern storage

Merchants on PR

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Leather 101
Leather 101

Class Details

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Simplicity 2975

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
SewBaby Poncho Pizazz Pattern

SewBaby  Poncho Pizazz Pattern

More Info
Paradiso Designs Carry-All Shoulder Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Carry-All Shoulder Bag Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.