SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > how to copy ready to wear pants

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
how to copy ready to wear pants
copying RTW pants but with bigger waist
avatrx

avatrx  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 12/16/05
Send Message

Date: 5/8/11 9:13 AM

I have a pair of linen pants that I just love. everything about them fits me perfectly with the exception of the waist. I apparently have gained my weight around my waist but nowhere else.

I'd like to copy these pants somehow - hips, rise, length etc but I need to make the waist about 1-1/2" larger. maybe 2". They also have front pleats which I would like to eliminate. They lie flat, but for simplicity I'd like them gone. They are fly front with a no belt waistband.

Is there a book out there somewhere describing how t do this? I am never happy with the way things fit but these pants are perfect except for the waist. I"m relatively confident I'll be back in them by mid summer, but until then I'd like to generate a pattern from them.

I'd like to do it without destroying the pants.

HELP!
susie
-- Edited on 5/8/11 9:15 AM --

Michelle L
starstarstar
Michelle L
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 1/20/08
Send Message

In reply to avatrx

Date: 5/8/11 9:23 AM

Use painter's tape to create a copy. I did a tutorial a couple of years ago: painter's tape pant copy

------
Michelle

http://cheapandpicky.blogspot.com/

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

Date: 5/8/11 9:28 AM

There's a video on youtube by David Coffin (with a man's pants but the principle should be the same).

------
Happy Sewing!

Aixoise
star
Aixoise  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 7/6/04
Send Message

Date: 5/8/11 11:47 AM

A really good book on this topic is by Tracy Doyle: Patterns from Finished Clothes. You can find it at Amazon. Also, Sandra Betzina has a video out on this process.

olgarosita
star
olgarosita
Advanced Beginner
ROMANIA
Member since 6/29/10
Send Message

Date: 5/8/11 12:06 PM

I am interested in replicating a pair of RTW pants too, and I found both links suggested above very useful. There is one more thing I'm not sure about, and maybe this is a silly question, but: how do I establish what is the straight grain on a pattern traced this way? Thank you!

Michelle L
starstarstar
Michelle L
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 1/20/08
Send Message

In reply to olgarosita

Date: 5/8/11 12:32 PM

Your grain line should be based on the leg. fold your finished pattern in half along the long axis of the leg. That is your grain line.

If the grain is not perfectly straight along the leg, the leg will twist.

------
Michelle

http://cheapandpicky.blogspot.com/

avatrx

avatrx  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 12/16/05
Send Message

In reply to GBK

Date: 5/8/11 12:41 PM

I did just watch the youtube video by David Coffin. I must have gotten shorted on the learning curve. While he was fairly explicit - my sewing expertise is slim to none when it comes to this stuff.

I"m going to watch it again and look at my pants. I never notice that they had back darts before I watched this video.

thanks for the info. I'm going to persevere. I just wish someone around here held classes on this. sometimes I need to have someone guide me thru it.

avatrx

avatrx  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 12/16/05
Send Message

In reply to Michelle L

Date: 5/8/11 12:47 PM

What a clever thought. I"m not sure how to handle the back darts, but as for the length and the use of tons of painters tape - I primarily need the pattern from the waist to about mid thigh, I could probably wing it from there without the tape.

I also use the sediment cloth you spoke of. Handy stuff - huh?

thanks!
susie

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

Date: 5/8/11 2:09 PM

Could you also establish the grain line if you draw a line straight across from the crotch point to the side seam and then make the grain line perpendicular to that?

I created a pattern from a pair of RTW pants over a year ago (I used the pin tracing method -- I think it was from one of David Coffin's videos), and I think it will work if I can figure out the details of finishing the fly, pockets, and waist. I slapped together a quick muslin a few months ago, and it actually did fit! My idea now is to adjust a printed pattern based on this pattern I created -- I was puzzling over how to do that this morning. What points should absolutely line up, as opposed to differences that are for style or ease?

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

In reply to olgarosita

Date: 5/8/11 2:44 PM

Quote: olgarosita
There is one more thing I'm not sure about, and maybe this is a silly question, but: how do I establish what is the straight grain on a pattern traced this way?

Some (lower quality?) RTW pants don't hang straight where they should -- so I think I'd rather look for the grainline (if necessary with a magnifying glass) and trace some inched with pins or with thread to be on the safe side.

------
Happy Sewing!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> how to copy ready to wear pants

Merchants on PR

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.