SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Cataloging Patterns Digitally ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Cataloging Patterns Digitally
Bento, iPhoto, Evernote: Tags
LuceLu
star
LuceLu  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 8/4/06
Send Message

Date: 5/24/11 8:22 PM

I have read almost every post regarding pattern organization. I am in the midst of scanning what I have and organizing them to put in a digital pattern databank.

I have Bento, iPhoto and Evernote and am determining which one to stick to. At one time I did start one in Bento but my template seems to be too data entry heavy. (If anyone has a good easy template for this --share! I have Bento 3).

Anyway, I am asking for you data savvy gals to share your list of tags. Pretty please?

bettimon

bettimon
Advanced Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 9/29/08
Send Message

Date: 5/24/11 8:59 PM

I just looked up Evernote and saw that there is a more restricted free version. Have you used it? I would love to be able to have search functions and be able to attach files to the scans. Right now my scans of the pattern envelopes just sit in a folder on my desktop.

------
I need to make curtains. Curses!

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

In reply to bettimon

Date: 5/24/11 9:42 PM

You could put that folder into Evernote and tag each pattern. You can then search by tag(s). You can upload quite a bit even with the free version. I've been using Evernote for ages and have never reached my monthly upload limit.

------
chris

Melbourne

bettimon

bettimon
Advanced Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 9/29/08
Send Message

In reply to misschris

Date: 5/24/11 10:09 PM

thank you!

i've downloaded it and am trying it out.

as far as tags go, i'm thinking of type of clothing and type of fabric.

------

goosegreen
starstarstar
goosegreen  Friend of PR
Advanced
New South Wales Australia
Member since 1/9/05
Send Message

Date: 5/25/11 5:19 AM

I use Bento & have mainly drop-down menu fields for my patterns. It did take a while to enter all the data but keeping it up-to-date is a breeze. I have a photo of the envelope & also the finished item, if applicable. Where the pattern has multiple items (such as skirt, pants, jacket etc) I type this in a 'notes' field & then can search in all my patterns for those with a skirt or whatever in them. Love it.
-- Edited on 5/25/11 5:19 AM --

------
Alison in suburbia - Sydney Australia
My sewing blog: http://nosilasews.blogspot.com/

Keeper of the flock - Janome MC8000, Janome MC4900QC, Elna Elina 40, Husqvarna Rose, Singer 201K, Elna Contessa, Janome My Excel 18W, Janome 634D & 534D overlockers, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX.

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

Date: 5/25/11 5:55 AM

I agree with Alison - the initial entry into Bento is a mammoth job if you have a lot of patterns, but the ongoing upkeep is simple.
I would have exceeded my Evernote uploads if I'd used it for cataloging my patterns

I use Evernote for just about everything else though - it makes keeping track of things between the desktop, laptop and iPhone simple.

------
chris

Melbourne

Margaret
starstarstarstar
Margaret  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia Canada
Member since 11/4/02
Send Message

Date: 5/25/11 8:02 AM

I have a pattern database and regarding fields, I keep track of (among other things) suggested fabrics, type of garment/accessory/object, minimum and maximum measurements for bust/waist/hips/head size, copyright year, and a number of the design features such as length of garment, length of sleeve, how the shoulder area is cut (e.g. set-in, raglan, dolman), etc. It makes very specific searches possible, at the cost of needing a lot of data entry when adding a pattern. Anyway, HTH if you're deciding what info to include.

(I can't comment on the software -- I use a MySQL database that I normally access through Perl/CGI scripts, because I was already familiar with those for other reasons. I imagine Bento or Evernote would be much easier to learn, all things being equal).

------
http://stoffandnonsense.blogspot.com
Stash turnover:
Q1 2014: -17.655yd +4.222yd
Q2 2014: -72.3yd +14.08yd

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario Canada
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

Date: 5/25/11 9:01 AM

I agree about Bento. It was a mammoth task to get all the patterns entered, but now that it is (almost) up to date, I just add patterns as I purchase them. I use key words a lot. I make my own template based on one I found on Bento. It's not perfect- I have too many categories, but it's a whole lot better than what I had!

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/25/11 9:13 AM

I have some questions for those of you who use these programs. I have used the PR catalog for the time I have been a FofPR, and imported that info into a simple spreadsheet. The catalog seems good, but I wonder if I am missing some helpful tips by not using a different program.
Do you have loads and loads of patterns? (I have about 180)
Do you sew for multiple people? (not me)
Do you have the talent and experience to use multiple patterns in one garment? (I have not yet done that)
Is the main draw the ability to sync between your phone and your laptop and/or desktop?

I hope someone weighs in as I am always interested in learning more and making my life simpler.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

bettimon

bettimon
Advanced Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 9/29/08
Send Message

In reply to marec

Date: 5/25/11 10:41 AM

hello!

I have a fair number of patterns (especially if you include ones I plan to make up in pattern mags), and the main draw for me is definitely the synching with my phone. I want to be able to fabric shop with my patterns right in front of me. If I see a fabric I love, I'd like to know if I can use it for a pattern I already have, and envision it in its finished form. I'm sure it will even come in handy while shopping on the internet, since I can search the notes in multiple ways.

I had a notebook I was using for that purpose, but it was very labor intensive. So far, the Evernote (that I found thanks to this thread!) is working out much better.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Cataloging Patterns Digitally

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Favorite Things The Lunch Bag Pattern

Favorite Things The Lunch Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Easy Coat

Christine Jonson Easy Coat

Buy Now
Self Drafted Pattern 286481-1008

photo
by: MariannaSe...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.