SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Home Dec. Sewing > Reclaimed our porch ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Reclaimed our porch
and want to make curtains
birdmcfarland
starstar
birdmcfarland
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/1/08
Send Message

Date: 5/30/11 11:23 AM

The previous owners of our house left an enormous hot tub on the only covered porch space. We gave the thing a shot but it didn't really do much for me and I really wanted the porch space with chairs. I finally got rid of the tub and am now left with this nice porch that overlooks a garden full of flowers:

Has anyone ever made porch curtains? Any advice? I was thinking of something sheer that can be drawn back and secured at the posts and would be easy to wash. That way we can close them if the street is busy and I thought it would be really nice on breezy evenings.

ccris
ccris
Intermediate
Member since 10/27/05
Send Message

In reply to birdmcfarland

Date: 5/30/11 12:19 PM

No, I haven't made outdoor curtains..........just wanted to say I love your porch and the stone...........I'd want to sit out there, too. Some things to keep in mind...........what direction does the porch face? Is it sunny? I KNOW you want curtains, but if it's sunny, and you want to block it, how about bamboo roll-up shades?

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 5/30/11 12:31 PM

If you do a Google image search for "porch curtains" you will get *gads* of ideas. Lots of sheers and ticking stripes, especially. If you're going to use sheers, I'd probably go with something synthetic that is super-washable and doesn't need ironing.

------
~Gem in the prairie

birdmcfarland
starstar
birdmcfarland
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/1/08
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue

Date: 5/30/11 2:44 PM

Quote: stirwatersblue
If you're going to use sheers, I'd probably go with something synthetic that is super-washable and doesn't need ironing.

that's exactly what I was thinking - something easily washable since it will most likely get dirty and that I can hang up right out of the dryer. I found some sheer polyester on Amazon that might work.

The side with the step face the street which is north and the side with the railing faces west. It gets some sun, but not much. Maybe 20 minutes of sun late in the day in the summer...and then there are trees that diffuse it.
birdmcfarland
starstar
birdmcfarland
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/1/08
Send Message

In reply to ccris

Date: 5/30/11 2:45 PM

Quote: ccris
No, I haven't made outdoor curtains..........just wanted to say I love your porch and the stone...........I'd want to sit out there, too. Some things to keep in mind...........what direction does the porch face? Is it sunny? I KNOW you want curtains, but if it's sunny, and you want to block it, how about bamboo roll-up shades?

thanks! I can't believe the previous owners took up all that space with a hot tub. I've already spent more time out there in the last three days than we did with the last two years in the hot tub.
dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

Date: 5/30/11 2:55 PM

I would look for the Sunbrella fabrics... Found everywhere. They are engineered for outdoors and useful for more things than cushions. Mildew and fade resistant.

Is that gorgeous porch on front or back of house?

There are also automatic shades available for porches. They retract to a tiny casing at top. Just google for a few dealerships in your area. (not talking about awnings)

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 5/30/11 7:38 PM

I have a deck that faces SW and gets really hot in Summer. I just use sheers and replace them each year. I try to find a print that will not show the dirt and just toss them at the end of the season.

We have tried bamboo roll up blinds, but the sun rots the strings.

I love the look of white sheers billowing in the sun, but with two cats on the railings, a print works best for us.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to birdmcfarland

Date: 5/30/11 9:14 PM

Gorgeous porch! Oh to sit there and have a cold drink! Here's what I suggest: Nylon sheers. When they get wet, they dry quickly. They let air through, but no bugs. And they are so easy to wash! I use this fabric in my vegetable garden, as well as the fine knit tulle, for insect control. After the season is over, I wash them, and hang them on the line. They are dry in about 15 minutes. The best thing is I use them over and over. Tulle, the fine knit stuff--not the stuff with the visible holes--is great as well. Sometimes Joann's has a coupon and I buy yards of the stuff. It comes 108" wide.

Edited to add: I made some sheer curtains for a sliding glass door in the bedroom of an apartment I used to live in. I made a narrow rod pocket, and used about a 2" hem to weight them a little; that's all. I could have added a 1/2" hem on each side, but I left them alone, because I had lots of fullness. If you want to go this route, measure twice the width of the area you want to cover, to get the fullness.

-- Edited on 5/31/11 7:41 AM --

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

ccris
ccris
Intermediate
Member since 10/27/05
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild

Date: 5/30/11 10:32 PM

Well, you clever thing you!! That's probably exactly what she wants, and it wouldn't cost an arm and leg, either. That's something I'M going to commit to memory for future reference...just in case.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to ccris

Date: 5/31/11 7:32 AM

Aw, shucks. Thanks! It was the gorgeous picture of the stone, the trees, and flowy nylon sheers that came to mind.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Home Dec. Sewing >> Reclaimed our porch

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Class Details

Other 102497641

photo
by: Terri A

Review
Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Petite Plus 150 Pattern

More Info
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Designer Dress Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Designer Dress Shirt Pattern

More Info
Simplicity 2174

photo
by: sunflower2...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.