Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Patterns and Notions > fabricland Canada new pattern policy ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
fabricland Canada new pattern policy
patterns no longer accessible by customers
fabb
fabb
Advanced Beginner
AB CANADA
Member since 10/27/09
Login to reply to this post

Date: 5/30/11 5:29 PM

I was in Fabricland today and I thought they were just rearranging the layout a bit but it turns out all the pattern cabinets are being turned toward the front register so they are employee-access only. So whoever is working the till also has to pull your pattern for you. If you need the envelope for fabric requirements, they pull out the pattern and give it to you.

Apparently their (theft) losses have been so great that they have implemented this policy Canada-wide effective immediately.

I'm saddened that first off people steal patterns to that extent and that the lineups for the till will be even longer if one person has to work the patterns and the register.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
ON CANADA
Member since 7/16/07

In reply to fabb

Date: 5/30/11 5:54 PM

Quote:
I was in Fabricland today and I thought they were just rearranging the layout a bit but it turns out all the pattern cabinets are being turned toward the front register so they are employee-access only. So whoever is working the till also has to pull your pattern for you.

It's always been like this at the Fabriclands in my area. I only know of one Fabricland in this region that has self-service in patterns. I kind of like it that they have to pull the patterns for you -- the patterns stay organized and don't get damaged.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Photo: A long time ago

Canadian Jane
star
Canadian Jane
Advanced Beginner
AB CANADA
Member since 10/30/10

In reply to fabb

Date: 5/30/11 6:00 PM

I do go to Fabricland of course but I have to say I am not a fan - I think their fabric in way too many instances that I care to recall was absolute garbage for the price.

But I do agree this is a sad state of affairs that people resort to stealing patterns. How low can one go??

Those line-ups are nuts. One to get the fabric cut then another one at the till. The one at the cutting tables alone nearly drives me mad. I nearly always get behind someone with about 30 bolts of fabric.

I wonder if Fabricland realizes they probably lose even more money from people like me who eventually just give up and leave. I wouldn't do this if I have had fabric cut already but anything else - life is just too short.

I wonder though. I used to like to look at the pattern front and back and on occasion even look at the directions to see how hard/easy to sew or the fabric layout etc. I guess this won't be an option anymore. I can just imagine standing at the till perusing the pattern trying to decide which one I want to buy with a line up behind me.

------
Forgiveness does not excuse the behaviour. It prevents the behaviour from breaking your heart over and over again.

fabb
fabb
Advanced Beginner
AB CANADA
Member since 10/27/09

In reply to Vintage Joan

Date: 5/30/11 6:04 PM

Quote: Joan1954

It's always been like this at the Fabriclands in my area. I only know of one Fabricland in this region that has self-service in patterns. I kind of like it that they have to pull the patterns for you -- the patterns stay organized and don't get damaged.

Really? I guess that's Fabricland West then even though she said it was new to Canada. I was very surprised because I've never seen that in Alberta or BC.

I'm curious as to who is stealing? My local FL is full of middle-aged women and they don't seem the shoplifting type.
Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to fabb

Date: 5/30/11 7:30 PM

I will have to check out my local store and see what they are doing. They just rearranged it and expanded, they have very little space at the till.

I am lucky, we rarely have lineups in the store, it is well staffed (with sewers) and nice and neat and tidy.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 5/31/11 10:43 AM

FL really needs to update and computerize. Handwriting the bill at the cutting table is a ridiculous time-waster and with all of their discounts and member specials, even the till printout is sometimes indecipherable. How much did I really pay for that fabric? I have no idea.

My bet is that people will ask for the pattern, take it away to "read" it and walk off with it anyway. And probably a good number of the "stolen" patterns are from people who absentmindedly tuck them into pockets or purses while waiting in one of those crazy long lines. Especially those older ladies whose minds are starting to go (see the hormone threads. )

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

fabb
fabb
Advanced Beginner
AB CANADA
Member since 10/27/09

In reply to tourist

Date: 5/31/11 11:01 AM

Quote: tourist
FL really needs to update and computerize. Handwriting the bill at the cutting table is a ridiculous time-waster and with all of their discounts and member specials, even the till printout is sometimes indecipherable. How much did I really pay for that fabric? I have no idea.

My bet is that people will ask for the pattern, take it away to "read" it and walk off with it anyway. And probably a good number of the "stolen" patterns are from people who absentmindedly tuck them into pockets or purses while waiting in one of those crazy long lines. Especially those older ladies whose minds are starting to go (see the hormone threads. )

You're absolutely right. The biggest LQS in town has wireless handheld devices that print out a label which is scanned at the register. FL could easily scan your card and print a label but I'm not holding my breath that that will happen in my lifetime.

Does anyone know who owns FL?
Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
ON CANADA
Member since 7/16/07

In reply to Michelle T

Date: 5/31/11 11:06 AM

Quote:
I am lucky, we rarely have lineups in the store, it is well staffed (with sewers) and nice and neat and tidy.

Our FL is like that, too. There aren't many lineups, except sometimes at a members' sale on a Saturday (or when they had their moving sale several years ago!). This is probably because they seem to hire more than enough staff.

The fabric selection is also a real mix... some really nice things as well as some very ordinary things. Maybe it helps that the store is quite huge (in the space where Woolco was located years ago).

-- Edited on 5/31/11 11:08 AM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Photo: A long time ago

ElsaD
star
ElsaD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AB CANADA
Member since 1/7/06

Date: 5/31/11 11:33 AM

I'm heading to Fabricland today so will see if they're making the change in ours as well.

------
ElsaD

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 12/2/09

In reply to tourist

Date: 5/31/11 11:49 AM

That or they're left somewhere random in the store, or if the person is dishonest rather than flaky, they're hidden until the next sale.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> fabricland Canada new pattern policy

Merchants on PR
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Put it on the Bias
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Put it on the Bias

Online Sewing Classes
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Simplicity 2443
photo
Review by lizziwhizz on 1/25/10
Read Review

Simple Things The Hobo Bag Digital Pattern
Simple Things The Hobo Bag Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Reversible Sun Bonnet Digital Pattern ( Size newborn - child )
Peek-A Boo Reversible Sun Bonnet Digital Pattern ( Size newborn - child )

Details
Price: $4.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Ottobre Woman Magazine 02-2011-7
photo
Review by SilvrGhost on 3/31/11
Read Review

Sew Liberated Schoolhouse Tunic
Sew Liberated Schoolhouse Tunic

Details
Price: $14.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewing Workshop Tamari Apron Pattern
Sewing Workshop Tamari Apron Pattern

Details
Price: $8.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Burda 8998 Pattern
Burda 8998 Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8909 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )
Vogue 8909 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )

Details
Price: $22.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN