SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Spaces > How do you use computers in your sewing projects and/or sewing room? ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How do you use computers in your sewing projects and/or sewing room?
computers in the sewing room
julstech
star
julstech  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 10/23/09
Send Message

Date: 6/3/11 1:04 PM

I surveyed the members of my local sewing group to see what educational topics they were interested in. Many people wanted to know more about using computers in the sewing room. It got me thinking about all the different ways that computers become a part of your sewing routine.

I blog and read other blogs for inspiration. I have scanned images of the front and back of every pattern I own and then I have them stored in folders by manufacturer. I also post these images to my Flickr account so I have my pattern library available to me anywhere. I keep a list of my patterns in an Excel spreadsheet to help me stop buying duplicates. I, of course, frequent PR for sewing inspiration, the latest sewing news, and to search for answers to my questions. A few of my sewing books are e-books stored on my computer and I also have the Threads archive DVD.

I know there are other ways like hooking your embroidery machine up to your computer or using pattern drafting software. How else can one use a computer in their sewing?

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to julstech

Date: 6/3/11 1:38 PM

When I had my computer in my sewing room I used it quite a bit. I had my machine hooked up to it. Also all my designs etc were on it. I also used it for music while I sewed and for tv. The tv thing was just getting going when our computer downstairs (Hubby's) went belly up so mine when downstairs for us to share. I really miss not having it.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 6/3/11 5:47 PM

I read PR and play Angry Birds a lot with the computer in the sewing room.....should be sewing, eh?

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to julstech

Date: 6/3/11 7:38 PM

No room in my little sewing room for a computer. In fact, no room in there even for my sewing cr*p!

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to julstech

Date: 6/3/11 7:48 PM

I keep a spread sheet of fabrics and projects completed, though lately I've fallen down on this. Mainly I use it to play music or Netflix while I work.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

autumnzmom
autumnzmom
Advanced
California USA
Member since 4/5/10
Send Message

Date: 6/3/11 9:37 PM

If a pattern download is a few pages I bring it in. Printing would be costly even in black and white...also if I get stuck and need further options it is right at hand

------
Marilyn Jeanne May-Durrett

EveS
starstarstarstar
EveS
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 11/26/06
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet

Date: 6/3/11 9:43 PM

Quote: Mufffet
I read PR and play Angry Birds a lot with the computer in the sewing room.....should be sewing, eh?

Angry Birds, huh? Sounds like last summer for me, when I got sucked into a wildlife cam/chat board that I watched while sewing. It took me 2 months to finish a simple summer blouse.

I use mine for a couple of streaming radio stations (I thought I was the only one that used it for music!) and I also have a lot of tutorials bookmarked. Apparently I'm too lazy to actually print them out.

------
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it - Chinese proverb

autumnzmom
autumnzmom
Advanced
California USA
Member since 4/5/10
Send Message

In reply to EveS

Date: 6/3/11 11:47 PM

Quote: EveS
Apparently I'm too lazy to actually print them out.

Wow am I lazy ?

------
Marilyn Jeanne May-Durrett

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

Date: 6/4/11 9:38 AM

My laptop died a few months ago and I replaced it with a desktop in my sewing room. Love it! I do all my regular computer browsing and also have my embroidery software downloaded and design collection saved on it. I used to sit in the living room with my laptop and now that I'm using the computer in my sewing room, I seem to actually be more motivated to sew. I did eventually buy another laptop, but now that I have the desktop I use the laptop very little. Oh yes, I play Angry Birds on my iphone.

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7
Bernina DesignWorks

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

JennaF
star
JennaF
Intermediate
Member since 5/10/10
Send Message

Date: 6/4/11 10:56 AM

Oh man. I use the computer in EVERY aspect of my sewing! It's basically what has allowed me to teach myself to sew. Tutorials, inspiration, how to's, all the gals at PR who answer my cries for help.

I couldn't sew without it!

------
http://www.seamstressintraining.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> How do you use computers in your sewing projects and/or sewing room?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

McCall's 6225

photo
by: guineveres...

Review

Pattern

Bluegingerdoll Stella Blouse

Bluegingerdoll Stella Blouse

Buy Now
The Whimsy Bag

The Whimsy Bag

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 12-2012-139

photo
by: tsedai

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.