SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Creative Sewing > Recycle Your Daughter's Outgrown T-shirts into Beautiful Dresses ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Recycle Your Daughter's Outgrown T-shirts into Beautiful Dresses
recycled children's clothing
moonbeams and applesauce
moonbeams and applesauce
Advanced
Member since 6/6/11
Send Message

Date: 6/6/11 0:41 AM

Regency style dress from a outgrown T-shirt.

If you have ever watched a Jane Austen Movie or read her books, you know the Regency dress. It is one of my favorite styles, from a time known for its elegance.

After playing around with purchased patterns, I decided to create a Regency style dress from T-shirts that my daughters had outgrown. Not only are these dresses adorable, but they are easy to make, and get more use out of your children's clothing to boot.

I thought I would share my tutorial with other sewers. It can be found at my blog:
Moonbeams and Applesauce
-- Edited on 6/6/11 0:41 AM --

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 5/11/03
Send Message

In reply to moonbeams and applesauce

Date: 6/6/11 2:37 AM

Very cute way to extend the life of a favorite t- shirt. The dresses are adorable.

When my dd was 3 or 4, I made her a dress with a tiered skirt and she loved it and wore it for years until the bodice ripped. I turned it into a skirt and my dd, now 9, still wears it! She doesn't even remember it was ever a dress, it's been so long. It's nice to get extra mileage out of kid's clothes.

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

Peggy
star
Peggy
Advanced Beginner
Montana USA
Member since 10/8/02
Send Message

Subject: Recycle Your Daughters Outgrown T-shirts into Beautiful Dresses Date: 6/6/11 9:12 PM

Cute...cute...cute

Irene

Irene  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/03
Send Message

In reply to moonbeams and applesauce

Date: 6/6/11 9:26 PM

These dresses are really cute. I am confused, though, about the "outgrown" nature of these t-shirts. The shirts seem to fit your daughters well, and it seems that they would have to fit well for the dresses to fit. Are these shirts worn out at the hem, or otherwise not serviceable?

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

Date: 6/7/11 3:03 AM

Very cute children, dolls, and dresses. Thank you for sharing.

Mel.J
starstar
Mel.J
Intermediate
Victoria Australia
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

Subject: Recycle Your Daughters Outgrown T-shirts into Beautiful Dresses Date: 6/7/11 7:22 AM

I did something similar with singlet tops that had got too short, but still fit around the body... I added skirts of various styles from remnants I had around & all of a sudden, 5 new summer dresses!

ETA - thanks for the tutorial
-- Edited on 6/7/11 7:22 AM --

------
Mel (Melbourne, Australia)

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

Date: 6/10/11 11:03 AM

Thank you very much! I also love your blog and the wonderful insights and ideas!

moonbeams and applesauce
moonbeams and applesauce
Advanced
Member since 6/6/11
Send Message

Date: 6/30/11 1:37 AM

Thank you all for the lovely comments. Irene, about the way the shirts were outgrown, they were outgrown in the gate. We have long torsos, big bellies and short arms. (Our shirts were showing belly-buttons.) The waist line of this dress is very forgiving and makes it perfect for tight shirts. The only thing you have to worry about fitting is the shoulders and chest.

Like I said, we have short arms so our sleeves fit, but if the sleeve is too short. Just simply add some of the dress fabric to the cuff to extend the sleeve length. I find when sewing and in purchasing new clothing for a size up, the extra size usually means an inch or two at the bottom and sleeve cuff. This tutorial is just a way to extend the wear a little while longer. It also works for shirts that are too large. I just made another dress using this method for my youngest in 4T from a shirt of my oldest that was 6T. It worked out really well, I just had to shorten the sleeves. Hope that helps.

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

Date: 7/8/11 9:14 PM

Cute dresses and what a fun blog!

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder

Visit my blog at www.sewconfused.blogspot.com

RJFoote
star
RJFoote
Advanced Beginner
Ohio USA
Member since 8/22/06
Send Message

Subject: Recycle Your Daughters Outgrown T-shirts into Beautiful Dresses Date: 7/10/11 7:07 PM

Love the dresses and your blog!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Recycle Your Daughter's Outgrown T-shirts into Beautiful Dresses

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

The Essential Tote

The Essential Tote

Buy Now
Sewn Square One Go Anywhere Dress Pattern

Sewn Square One Go Anywhere Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.