SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > White Superlock 534 ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
White Superlock 534
What are its capabilities?
TheModiste
TheModiste
Advanced
Member since 6/10/11
Send Message

Date: 6/10/11 10:54 AM

Well, I've been sewing for years and I've just decided that I can't live any longer without a serger:) I'd like to buy used and have heard great things about the durability of the White Superlock 534. What all can it do? Does it coverstitch? What about differential feed? I have a feeling I need to look for a newer machine in order to get those options, but hey, never hurts to ask!
Thanks!

mamafitz
starstarstar
mamafitz
WI USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to TheModiste

Date: 6/10/11 12:43 PM

i have a white superlock 534. i bought it new in 1990 or so. i love it, but it is very basic. it can do a rolled hem by changing out the foot and throat plate. you can adjust the stitch length. that's about it. no differential feed, no coverstitch.

------
Linda

Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves, and of course, each other. If girls dressed for boys, they’d just walk around naked at all times.
-- Betsey Johnson

http://mamafitz.blogspot.com

TheModiste
TheModiste
Advanced
Member since 6/10/11
Send Message

Date: 6/11/11 0:13 AM

OK, that's good to know. Thanks!

kathyann
kathyann
Intermediate
ME USA
Member since 9/24/05
Send Message

Date: 6/11/11 7:21 AM

I have a 534D, which does have differential feed. I bought it new in the late 1980s and it's still going strong. Doesn't have the bells and whistles of the newer machines, but is easy to use and very reliable.

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
FL USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

Date: 6/11/11 11:48 AM

I also own a 534 Superlock that I received as a Christmas gift in 1986. I had a cracked gear and for years the gear was not available. Luckily the gear was remanufactured and I was able to repair my 534. This is an excellent serger. It's basic, simple to thread and reliable. They are still selling strong on ebay, however beware of the broken gear issue.

------
strikesmyfancy-2013.blogspot.com

What's Meant for You Won't Pass You By.

Cindy Lu
star
Cindy Lu  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
OK USA
Member since 3/5/07
Send Message

Date: 9/29/12 9:38 PM

I bought a 534 in 1987 when I was teaching sewing at a sewing machine store. ('Just saw the receipt.) It has always performed for me. It was the best serger according to consumer reports for something like 15-20 years. They sold a ton of these. I liked it so much that I bought another one used, thinking that I could rob one for parts, if need be and at least keep it going. However, right after I got the 2nd one, I read an article about keeping one threaded for serging and one for narrow hem and that is how I do it. 'Love it! I recently ran into an update for the 4 thread to 5 thread on ebay for almost nothing. 'Love that, too. Now, just for the record, the 534 never had differential feed. However, it really doesn't need it. I am thinking that it might not ever die. If it dies, I will buy a Babylock, but not until then.

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
ON CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
online now
Send Message

In reply to Cindy Lu <<

Date: 9/29/12 10:20 PM

I have a 634D serger that's approaching 20 years and sews everything from silk to denim. When I found an almost new unit for $100 I jumped on it. I can set 1 up in different colors or with the elastic attachement. This era of sergers were built to last, mine's like the energizer bunny...keeps on going.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
ON CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
online now
Send Message

In reply to TheModiste <<

Date: 9/29/12 10:38 PM

Sergers from this era didn't do 5 thread seams and the cover stitch was offered on TOL in the last 14 years or so. When looking to purchase a machine especially an older model make sure it's complete and in good running order. The White sewing brand was bought out by Husqvarna Viking. When Kolberg took over Singer, Husqvarna and Pfaff the other brand just disapeared. Replacement parts knives, loopers, foot controls can be purchased from after market suppliers. Levers and knobs would be harder to come by. If you can find a nice running machine it's a better investement than a cheap plastic machine. When you out grow it's function you can always add a cover stitch machine. My 634D (20 years) out performs my Singer 5 thread combo (8 years). I have used the 534 metal sergers and they are strong machines. For older machines if the stitches are skipping I would pass on it. That can be hard to fix and a sign of worn parts.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 10/1/12 11:25 AM

I have one since late 80's - early 90's, and the only problem I've had was one I caused - bent looper from pulling on the project while using some heavier decorative threads. After it was fixed, I continued the project (same threads and fabric) and let it do it's thing, and no more issues. It's easy to thread (has excellent diagram right on the drop-down door on front) as long as you have a tweezers to grab the thread when you get it through the looper holes.

as others said - not 5 threads, not coverstitch, but a very reliable machine.

SisterC
SisterC
Advanced
MN
Member since 7/4/12
Send Message

In reply to TheModiste <<

Date: 10/1/12 3:46 PM

I have owned the 534 for almost 30 years and it has never failed me. I sew everything from bridal fabrics to denim and it works great!

The differential feed has never been an issue as my machine feeds through every fabric smoothly. Would it be possible for you to test out the machine & see how it works? If you are buying online, you only have the seller's description. Look at their reviews and see if they have satisfied customers. Also, some sellers will honor a return option if the machine isn't what they state it to be.

Good luck! I hope you are able to find a serger that works great for you!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> White Superlock 534

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

More Knits
More Knits

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Simplicity 1779

photo
by: facesunder...

Review
Vogue Patterns 1087

photo
by: Kim12469

Review
You Sew Girl 300mm Square Snap PATTERN ONLY Pattern

You Sew Girl 300mm Square Snap PATTERN ONLY Pattern

Buy Now
Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)

Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.