SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fitting Woes > Does this need a flat seat adjustment? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Does this need a flat seat adjustment?
Baggy pants under butt
joclin

joclin
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 3/2/08
Send Message

Date: 7/2/11 10:29 PM

I am in the middle of sewing my first pair of pants with the fashion fabric, and unfortunately, I ran into a fitting issue that didn't show up in the muslin.

It's incredibly baggy from under the seat to my knees. After reading around some other topics, I'm wondering if this is what people call a full seat adjustment and what I should do?

There's no fabric to be pinched out at the outer seams, but there is in the middle of the leg. If I try to pinch it out at the crotch seam and inner seam, I start getting horizontal tight wrinkles.

Thanks for any advice! Not looking forward to redoing the curved flat felled seams :(

Here's a photo of me wearing it inside-out.

-- Edited on 7/2/11 10:32 PM --

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 7/2/11 10:31 PM

I can't see the pants. Your link isn't working.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

joclin

joclin
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 3/2/08
Send Message

Date: 7/2/11 10:32 PM

Hopefully that fixed the photo.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, this is the Burdastyle Anita jeans pattern, so the style should be a bit more fitted than normal pants.
-- Edited on 7/2/11 10:39 PM --

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 7/2/11 11:07 PM

When you have a pant that is very fitted, there are going to be some wrinkles under the butt. On the other hand, you should try walking the seams to see if the front and back inside pant leg are the same length. Technically the back should be about a half inch shorter than the front because the fabric under the butt is slightly on the bias and will stretch out.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

joclin

joclin
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 3/2/08
Send Message

Date: 7/2/11 11:32 PM

Thanks for looking!

I'm pretty sure I didn't stretch anything as I sewed, so I'll have to check on that.

Unfortunately, these pants aren't tight at all, so the wrinkles are from a lot of excess fabric. This side view should be better for showing it

And this is how much fabric I could pinch out if I wanted it to be skin-tight.

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

In reply to joclin

Date: 7/2/11 11:42 PM

If you want it skin tight the crotch is going to have to be very fitted (ie high), and I think I see some excess fabric right at the back crotch seam, that will need to be pinched out (it's right under the full part of your bottom downward). Unless the fabric has spandex you're going to have some wrinkles under the fanny. I would start with adjusting the crotch and see where everything falls.

------
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
Coco Chanel

Stash Sewn in 2011 148.5 Yds
Stash Sewn in 2012.... counting...

http://adonising.blogspot.com

Candi Cook
Candi Cook  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 12/28/02
Send Message

Date: 7/3/11 2:21 PM

If you go to Peggy Sagers Silouette Patterns website she has a live video on fitting jeans that addresses this pattern adjustment. What her adjustment does is shorten the length of the inseam. She has you carry the adjustment thru the front inseam. Both the front and back adjustment taper to nothing at the side seam. If you feel that the front is too low when you make the adjustment you can have the front seam up to 3/8" (some people recommend up to 1/2") longer than the back and then stretch the back to meet the front.

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

Date: 7/3/11 3:40 PM

How does shortening the inseam remove the excess fabric on the back of the leg?

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder

Visit my blog at www.sewconfused.blogspot.com

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 7/3/11 4:25 PM

This is a great thread. I have the same thing happening to my jeans. I found the more I try to take out the extra in the leg the worse it fits. I need the extra to be able to move my legs and to sit easily.

Candi Cook
Candi Cook  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 12/28/02
Send Message

In reply to Sew Confused

Date: 7/3/11 5:02 PM

Your seat is pushing down on the fabric causing excess fabric below the seat, once you make the correction you will see that alot of the fullness is gone. You may still want to remove some more fullness in the leg but until you get the pants to hang correctly you cannot make that determination. I'm sure you don't want the lengthy and rather boring theory behind what causes the problem or why this correction works but just try it and see if it helps, I think you will be surprised.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Does this need a flat seat adjustment?

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 504 Pattern

Petite Plus 504 Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 3744

photo
by: sewnaomi

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.