SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Spaces > Storing traced patterns ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Storing traced patterns
I keep mine rolled up; but how to store?
marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 8/28/10
Send Message

Date: 7/8/11 6:46 PM

I'm participating in the One Pattern, Many Looks contest, so, naturally, I am not sewing anything, but instead organizing my sewing space.

Since I started tracing my patterns (thank you, PR), I have been keeping my traced, adjusted patterns rolled up (so I don't need to iron out creases when I re-use them), tied with a thin length of the first fabric I made each pattern up in. (I'm very visual, so for me, this brings the pattern design to mind instantly, without having to look up a pattern name/number.) Here's a grainy photo:

I have enough of these now that I can't just toss them on a shelf, as I have been doing, so I came up with the idea of storing them in one of these:

(This one is from organizeit.com)

Before I go ahead with this plan, however, I thought I'd pick the brains here, and see if I'm missing a better solution for where to stash my paper rolls. I don't have a closet, so I can't hang anything, unfortunately (I do have a fair amount of unused wall space, though); everything in my sewing room/office is in plain sight, just off the kitchen.

How do you store your adjusted, traced paper patterns? Any ideas for me? Have you seen a prettier one of these magazine racks? (It has to have open sides, because the rolls are much wider than the rack.)

Thanks!

(Edited to fix photos. Wish we could preview original posts!)
-- Edited on 7/8/11 6:57 PM --

------
marjoriekh

kittykate
star
kittykate
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 12/18/02
Send Message

Date: 7/9/11 4:25 PM

I keep thinking of wine racks, where you'd slot them in.

I sometimes fold up my patterns and put them in big envelopes, but mostly I pin them together flat, put a clothespin on the end with a size and keep them in a big flat plastic tote.

marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 8/28/10
Send Message

In reply to kittykate

Date: 7/9/11 6:32 PM

Actually I was just looking at wine racks, which are much prettier than magazine racks, on the whole, but I was thinking I would run out of space too fast, since wine bottles are so small.

Wine racks somehow led me to wooden skateboard racks, like this one from Del Sol:

This is about 2 ft high and a foot wide. It's a little more than I was planning to spend ($43 plus shipping), so I'll have to think about it, and I'll keep looking. (There's also an 8-space rack, but that's way out of my range.) This fits in well with my decor, which includes pine Ikea shelving units and a pine worktop over white Pottery Barn sawhorse-style trestles.

I often quickly access one or more patterns while working on/cutting out another, to compare lines and sometimes transfer details, etc., so my sense is that storing patterns flat will not work well for me. Also, my tracing paper naturally rolls up unless I hold it flat with weights -- the rolls form automatically!

-- Edited on 7/9/11 7:04 PM --

------
marjoriekh

Lena Merrin
star
Lena Merrin
Expert/Couture
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/5/09
Send Message

Date: 7/9/11 11:05 PM

I just get big envelopes and store them there. If patterns are drafted on cardboard then I punch holes in them and hang them in my closet :)

------
www.iconicpatterns.com

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to marjoriekh

Date: 7/10/11 1:10 AM

Pegboard and pegs?

Elfa type wall hanging storage, just leave the shelves off and lay the rolls across the shelving brackets. The have a garage accessory piece to fit on top of the bracket with a little post as the end to keep things from rolling off.

Nancy's Notions has a behind the door pattern for rolls of stabilizer. You wouldn't need the pattern but could use the concept.

Make or buy attractive cloth hanging shoe organizers, cut out the back or make them with no back, hang sideways against the wall.

Men's baseball cap hangers with loops off of each cap clip.

1 x 2's, painted and hung with attractive fabric loops. If you want to make it easy on your walls, cut the 1x2 to exactly fit from floor to ceiling or from ceiling to countertop. Put a 3M Command hook on either side and loop something over the hooks to hold the 1x2 in place. Go down about half way and repeat. Or, just one screw at the top. The fit of the upright wood will help keep it in place and support the weight of your patterns.

Out of season gift wrap buckets/containers. They are extra tall/long.

An interesting arrangement of pvc pipe pieces attached to painted uprights.

If you keep them rolled up and on open display, it might be pretty to change from the fabric ties to fabric bands 2, 3, or 4 inches in width finished off nicely and using interfacing or stabilizer. As you continue to use your patterns and add bands you would have an art wall.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

rivergum
starstarstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Send Message

Date: 7/10/11 4:37 AM

I tie my rolled patterns with a scrap of the fabric(s) I used, so I can tell which pattern is which at a glance.

I have a set of high Ikea shelves in my sewing room to store fabric, and the rolls fit nicely on the flat top. Eventually I'll run out of space, but that alas will happen with any storage.

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

sewcool21
sewcool21
Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 12/1/07
Send Message

Date: 7/10/11 4:56 AM

I fold my traced pattern up and store them in manilla envelopes.

------
sewcool21@blogspot.com

Elaray
starstarstar
Elaray
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 4/20/05
Send Message

Date: 7/10/11 7:11 AM

I have way too many traced patterns and not enough space to store them rolled up. I fold them and store them in ziploc pattern keepers purchased from Nancy's notions. The pattern keeper bags are stored in a drawer.

------
I sew, therefore I am.

Visit my blog at http://anothercreation.blogspot.com

marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 8/28/10
Send Message

Date: 7/10/11 3:11 PM

If I ever get to the stage where I have loads and loads of traced patterns, I will probably move on to storing the ones I use least in envelopes, because I agree that will be more space efficient.

A7yrstitch, you are a wealth of excellent ideas! I love the fabric loops possibility -- I have lots of quilting scraps stored away, and I bet I could put something sort of pretty together without too much trouble.

Must finish PR contest sewing first!

------
marjoriekh

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 7/11/11 9:01 AM

I have been buying some 2 gallon zip loks that hold the pattern and the tracing and keeping these in a huge oversized tote bag. I have to get a new system in place when I get back to sewing and tracing but this lets me see and have easy access. I don't fold the tracings hard but do press some of the air out so they take up less room. I have been thinking I probably should come up with a filing system for the tracings but for now this is it. JillyB on here posted a link in a review to her blog and she had hers in the manila envelopes in a plastic drawer which looked very nice. I don't know how to do links but went back by doing a member search to look again.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> Storing traced patterns

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Burda 7579

photo
by: QuiltSewSe...

Review
Sewing Workshop Hudson Top & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Hudson Top & Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Jacket Express Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Jacket Express Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.