SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Janome HD3000? Considering a HD machine ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Janome HD3000? Considering a HD machine
Ms. Bijou
Ms. Bijou
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/13/10
Send Message

Date: 7/17/11 10:36 PM

Well, now that I have my "Dream Machine", My Juki F600, I am thinking of adding a heavy duty machine for the occassional times when I want to sew something pretty heavy but don't want to worry about damage to my precious Juki. . Juki may be capable but I'm not a risk taker when I really love something and want to make sure I don't break it. That and I don't have a trusty Juki repair person anywhere near me.

LindaBee suggested I check out the Janome HD3000 and I found a video on it. It LOOKS pretty wonderful for HD sewing. Does anyone know anything about it??

Here's the video Janome HD3000 video

Also, I'm wondering what the difference is between the Janome HD1000 and the HD3000. I'm sure i'll figure it out eventually but if anyone already knows I'd appreciate a comment on that.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to Ms. Bijou

Date: 7/17/11 11:32 PM

This machine is not a heavy duty machine. It is a normal home sewing machine and is like a few Janomes before it. For what you have mentioned, you probably do want an industrial machine, or at least a vintage Singer of some kind. This machine will be like your JUKI, a home machine. A nice, sturdy home machine, but not made for heavy weight sewing for any length of time. It is like the Janome 4618, 4623 and the New Home MX3123. The HD1000 is one in a line of Janomes which all more or less look alike, and are bottom line tough mechanicals. Still - they are home sewing machines, not industrials. Singer machines like the 201, 404, etc. are also very good machines at heavy sewing being all metal. there are a lot of threads on all these machines here.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Ms. Bijou
Ms. Bijou
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/13/10
Send Message

Date: 7/17/11 11:45 PM

I have a 404 and it is no more heavy duty than my Juki. In fact it bogs down and both the Juki and Brother I have go through heavier stuff than the 404. Now, there maybe something wrong with the motor but I don't mess with motors so I really wouldn't know what it's deal is there.

So even though this Janome definitely SAYS it's heavy duty you think it is not? That is not an argument, this is an honest question and your opinion is very welcome. Do you think it's AS "heavy duty" as an old Singer? I have old Singers (and love them very much) but their presser feet don't life high enough for me.

Do you think the insides of this one are all metal? I SEE that it says heavy duty metal FRAME, and I think I heard the guy on the video say it's an aluminum machine. If it is all metal inside (which I somehow doubt but do not know yet) then I would think it would be a "heavier" duty machine than the Juki. Your opinion on that??

IDcam
IDcam
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 5/13/09
Send Message

Date: 7/18/11 2:03 AM

I agree with Muffet. If you are looking for a heavy duty machine then buying a home sewing machine that claims to be heavy-duty may only disappoint you. Unless you are able to see and test the machine out in person with the fabrics you like to sew I would be very leery of what sellers/manufacturers state about their machines. There are a lot of threads about the HD3000, just do a search. I think someone (pinkymom?) returned hers because it wasn't what she expected.

Your vintage Singer 404 is a slant needle machine and my experience is that a Singer 201-2 has much more piercing power since it is not a slant needle model.

-- Edited on 7/18/11 2:04 AM --

LindaBee58
LindaBee58
ITALY
Member since 7/10/09
Send Message

In reply to Ms. Bijou

Date: 7/18/11 4:21 AM

WOW! I saw that video and I really do like that machine! It doesn't seem noisy and I love the jam proof option it has in it.
It was amazing how it sewed perfectly up and down those humps of fabrics. I liked the way it sewed the thin fabric too.
They do sell this machine here in Italy as heavy duty machines for home use. I think it isn't meant to sew 12 hours a day on thick seams but for a home use I would think this machine is perfect.
I would love to try one.
I personaly prefer my machine to be plastic on the outside because I don't like the "cold" feeling of all metal machines.
Also I'm not a great fan of old vintage machines. I don't think the transport of fabrics is better on them than new machines and most of them have little space under the foot to put thicker fabrics.

Ms. Bijou
Ms. Bijou
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/13/10
Send Message

Date: 7/18/11 4:37 AM

ID, that's exactly what I was afraid of. I don't need a machine that will "marathon sew" but I need one that is strong right off the first stitch. I can't take a "running start" on the bags I've made. Somewhat, yes, but mostly it's difficult to do the topstitching and I can't take a running start on that part at least.

Linda, I think it's worth checking out. For me I would just need a machine that can "do that", not one that can do that for a long time! I sew in short spurts.

I LOVE LOVE vintage machines but even the 201 doesn't lift high enough for me. I've been to the "Singer store" around here and we tried and tried to find one that my handbag would fit under to sew. I know the owners so I think they would have let me sit down and take a stab at it but none of the presser feet of the vintage machines they had would lift that high.

I THINK.....tomorrow I will either go to the shoe repair shop and see if I can find someone there to take mercy upon me, or I have an aquaintance I forgot that does upholstery that i could pester about it. Now that I've got all my equipment lined up though, to try it out on the Juki, I may just go for it. Got the Sewer's Ease, got the size 18 needles (top stitch I think) which sew better in the Juki than in the Bro. who doesn't like size 18 needles.

Linda, here is a link to a thread I found on the HD300. Opinions still welcome. I thank everyone here for their opinions. Even though some of our opinions may differ but so do our experiences with the same exact machines at times. I think that's important for other readers to see. Nothing is "the word" on anything. There are too many variables.

HD3000 thread

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Ms. Bijou

Date: 7/18/11 10:54 AM

Hmmm. I thought that Brian got his Juki 600 to sew over a half an inch of fabric?? Is yours more than that? If so, you definitley need an industrial machine, or something is wrong with the Juki. Or Brian didn't measure right.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Ms. Bijou
Ms. Bijou
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/13/10
Send Message

Date: 7/18/11 5:08 PM

I don't know. Brian returned his and got a Sailrite instead so that may be the answer there. I got mine thinking it would do the job too. Love the machine but not the right machine for this.

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 7/26/11 9:02 AM

I saw the HD 3000 yesterday and it has a 1.0 amp motor. it does not have metal body construction like the HD 1000. Dealer had denim sample of jean's hem. the 3000 went over it diagonally very well but i chose to test it going vertically which is more challenging, and it did not make it over the hump. i believe it is the design of the foot more than a power issue. I liked the machine fine--good little workhorse--but the 16231 has the .7 amp motor and more perks/features (also plastic) at a better price. I didn't see much difference in power between those 2. The 3000 was $349 yesterday via dealer. I feel that is too much for what it is but it is a quality machine and a little more rugged than most entry-level models. The HD1000 (metal) with the 1 amp motor is a robust little machine also but is lacking drop-in bobbin. The 3000 is quieter with a dec stitch or two.
-- Edited on 7/26/11 9:12 AM --

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to sewfrequent

Date: 7/27/11 1:28 AM

Good to know...thank you.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Janome HD3000? Considering a HD machine

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

New Look 6068

photo
by: pajamapart...

Review

Pattern

McCall's 6611

photo
by: lbreton

Review
Petite Plus D202 DVD

Petite Plus D202 DVD

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.