SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Downton Abbey Show--Edwardian Woman's Blouse ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Downton Abbey Show--Edwardian Woman's Blouse
What is the name of this style shirt?
Alpinebixby
Alpinebixby
Advanced Beginner
Colorado USA
Member since 6/4/09
Send Message

Date: 7/20/11 2:00 PM

Hello! Has anyone watched Downton Abbey? It is available on Netflix Instant right now. There is a women's blouse style that I think could be flattering today and was wondering what the name of the style is and whether anyone has seen a pattern resembling it.

If you watch episode 5 of season one Lady Sybil is wearing it starting at minute 16:53 of that episode. It is short sleeved, going to above the elbow, and a collarless neckline with a wide band. http://movies.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=70155164&trkid=496624#MovieId=70155164&EpisodeMovieId=70159623

Thanks.

lareine
star
lareine  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 11/10/06
Send Message

Subject: Downton Abbey Show--Edwardian Womans Blouse Date: 7/21/11 4:36 AM

I'm guessing that link doesn't work if you aren't a NetFlix member. It probably wouldn't work for non-American viewers anyway. Pity, I'd love to see which blouse you are talking about! Downton Abbey is real eye candy for all the wonderful costumes and attention to detail.

Padmé

Padmé
Member since 7/12/06
Send Message

Date: 7/21/11 7:57 AM

I'm there now, but I see two older women talking about the flower show.

In episode 6, she is asking her father for a ride to a meeting and is wearing a brownish blouse with a band at the neckline. I can't tell if the sleeves are cut on, or stitched, but the blouse reminds me of this one.

Simple Patterns With Elegant Bows

(This is not my listing, and if anyone is interested in the book, it cam with several sets of patterns.)

-- Edited on 7/21/11 8:18 AM --
-- Edited on 7/21/11 8:19 AM --

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 7/21/11 6:52 PM

The irony is that most Americans saw it on PBS-- which divided the program into 4 longer episodes, instead of six.

Nevertheless, is this the blouse?

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

Margaret
starstarstarstar
Margaret  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia Canada
Member since 11/4/02
Send Message

Date: 7/23/11 7:32 AM

Assuming that the above pic is the blouse you meant, it looks to me (judging from the folds under the arms) like it has dolman sleeves, a.k.a. cut-on or sleeves cut in one with the body. Unfortunately I can't think of any current patterns that are very close to this style, even though it looks pretty simple... has anyone else seen any? Maybe something in a knit, if not a woven?

If you found a pattern with a neck facing, the neck band effect could also be achieved by sewing the facing onto the wrong side of the body and turning it to the outside. I do think there are a lot of patterns on the market right now with a separate neckband, but often they have gathers below it.

Just for interest, here is a vintage reprint pattern that looks like it might be structurally similar, but patterns from that era are not easy to deal with and I would recommend them only if you were looking for a super-historically-accurate version and were willing to mess with the sizing, lower the neckline, deal with extremely limited instructions, etc.

------
http://stoffandnonsense.blogspot.com
Stash turnover:
Q1 2014: -17.655, +4.222yd
Q2: -72.3, +14.08yd
Q3: -12.11, +12.83yd

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 7/23/11 10:34 AM

Here are the Google Images results for Downton Abbey, episode 5. If you see the blouse you were referring to in there, please let us know. Now I'm curious!

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to andye

Date: 7/23/11 10:35 AM

I love that blouse -- but the info. at the top says it's from episode 4.

------

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Subject: Downton Abbey Show--Edwardian Womans Blouse Date: 7/23/11 11:57 AM

Well, I do have a HD recording of all of Downton Abbey, but it's recut into 4 episodes, rather than 7, and with scenes switched around. So the timecode is not very useful to me. A snippet of dialog would be more useful.

In the picture I posted, Lady Sybil is interested in seeing the results of the local elections, and has to finagle the car.

"Oh please!. There's a meeting of my borstal charity..."
-- Edited on 7/23/11 12:04 PM --

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to andye

Date: 7/23/11 1:15 PM

Quote:
Well, I do have a HD recording of all of Downton Abbey, but it's recut into 4 episodes, rather than 7, and with scenes switched around. So the timecode is not very useful to me. A snippet of dialog would be more useful. In the picture I posted, Lady Sybil is interested in seeing the results of the local elections, and has to finagle the car. "Oh please!. There's a meeting of my borstal charity..."

Oh, I see. Thanks! Perhaps the OP will check back in and confirm if this is the one. She did say it was
Quote:
short sleeved, going to above the elbow, and a collarless neckline with a wide band

...so that might be it, then.

------

Alpinebixby
Alpinebixby
Advanced Beginner
Colorado USA
Member since 6/4/09
Send Message

Date: 8/31/11 8:56 AM

HI! Thanks for all these comments! I am sorry for the delay in my response, I am not that familiar with the site and expected email notification.

Andye, that IS the blouse I to which I was referring. It is so basic and beautiful.

I wonder how we could carry it off today without looking vintage? Could it be paired with slacks or even jeans, or do you think a skirt is the only way to go?

Does this blouse have a specific name from that era or now?

Margaret, that pattern is very close to this one, isn't it? Good find! It looks to be more elaborate, but if you changed the neckline and the cuffs of the sleeves to bands, it would be pretty similar.

I see that that vintage pattern didn't really call that blouse anything. It wasn't called a "Waist," do you think? I mean in the vernacular? People didn't say "waist," and everyone one would think of that blouse, you don't think?

Oh, and sorry about the confusion with the episodes. I didn't realize that Netflix made the series into different lengths. And yes, you can only view Netflix online if you are a member in the US. Sorry about the tease if you are in foreign lands.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Downton Abbey Show--Edwardian Woman's Blouse

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Class Details

New Look 6110

photo
by: LM2HYD

Review
Full Bust DVD

Full Bust DVD

More Info
Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.