SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sew Alongs > Photo..how to post? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Photo..how to post?
step by step instructions HELP!
threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/24/11 4:39 PM

I would like to post some photos. I have tried to search PR for instructions and can't seem to find out how to do it. I need to take the picture with a certain amount of info(bytes?) and then figure how to get it so it can be seen. I obviously cannot use the super fine with max pixels...but don't know what to downgrade to...HELP! I am sure there must be some instructions somewhere on this site!????

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 7/24/11 5:06 PM

You need to upload your photos to an online photo hosting site such as Flickr or Photobucket (there are others) then either link to them or use the image location to insert them into your post.

Edit: with thanks to Nicegirl for doing the screen shots - I'm posting from my phone, so even long posts get tricky - links and screenshots take more patience than I've got!
-- Edited on 7/24/11 5:42 PM --

------
chris

Melbourne

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
District of Columbia USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/24/11 5:36 PM

Where would you like to post photos? Message board or review?

The first thing you have to do is host your photos somewhere. They must be uploaded to an internet server. PR cannot reach into your computer to display your photo to the other users anytime they want to see it (a good thing!--you don't want other people to be messing around in your computer). Flickr, Picasa, and Photobucket are free hosts. PR offers a very small amount of space to members, about enough to hold 15 medium (600 px or so on either dimension) photos.

It doesn't matter what size your photos are, as long as your host will accept that size.

Now, for posting on the message board, the size of your photos DOES matter. Huge photos are not automatically resized and you end messing with the formatting. The photo hosts listed above allow you to get code for various sizes of the same photo. You want one that is no more than about 500 pixels wide.

Once you have uploaded your photo, you need to find the photo's URL. The screencap above shows you how to do it in flickr. That is the program I use; I do not know exactly how it's done in Picasa or photobucket. The photo's URL is NOT the address of the webpage on which you view the photo. Do NOT click and copy the white address bar at the top of your browser. The URL will end in .jpg.

There are two steps to putting a photo in a review.

First, you copy the photo's URL, the one that ends in .jpg, into the box indicated in the screencap above.

Second, when you have finished your review or when editing your review, you need to upload a photo from your computer to be the thumbnail in the gallery. Yes, this is confusing because I just said you have to host your photo somewhere on the internet. PR hosts this tiny 100 by 100 px photo on its own servers. PR automatically resizes your photo to 100x100 so you do not have to do anything about the size of the photo (but keep in mind that anything but a square will be cropped funny--it's best to start with a square).

This is how you add a thumbnail to a review on the first go-round. This screen appears after you have published your review or saved it as a work in progress:

This is how you add a thumbnail to a review you are editing:

To post an image on the message board, you must be in "full post" mode you can't use the "quick post" box at the bottom of the page. Either hit "reply" to a message in the thread or hit "post reply" on the lower right below the posts. Then enter the URL of the photo (ends in .jpg) in the dialog box that appears. The formatted html will appear at the bottom of your post.

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to nicegirl

Date: 7/24/11 8:37 PM

Thank you so much! 500 pixels...that is info I needed. If I don't have flikr couldn't I just move it from the photos in my computer over to PR?
I might need to wait until I get to my computer guru to help me with this...but your info is a MUST for me to even get started. I so wanted to post a pix of a handbag I made and then some embroidery I am doing...but this sounds a bit complicated. Your reply should be put in some permament place on PR as a tutorial. Fabulous job!
PS...I want to post in the message board.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
District of Columbia USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 7/24/11 8:45 PM

Quote: kirstensews
If I don't have flikr couldn't I just move it from the photos in my computer over to PR?

You are a FOPR, so you have photo storage space on PR and can upload photos here. So yes, you are right! Deepika's interface is fairly easy to use. Choose the "Photo Album" option from the maroon navigation bar on the left and go from there.

Posting a photo on the message board is easier than doing one for a review so you are in luck! Just use the final screen cap in my post as guidance and you will be posting in no time!

I put this info into a blog post, which displays with slightly larger pictures, and the pictures are clickable. It's here.

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 7/24/11 8:52 PM

Since I am a member I think I will start with PR's photo album...and then move on to your suggestions. I will go now and futz with the camera to see how I can minimize the info and still have the photos look nice. If I go to least resolution and compress to small I think the image will be of such poor quality no one could really see the images.
(eee gad crawling out of that rock and finding myself in this computer world is NOT fun! Your help is SO needed!)
Looks like you were replying to me while I was replying to you
-- Edited on 7/24/11 8:53 PM --

------

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 7/24/11 8:55 PM

Funny I tried to go to your "here" and my computer made a funny click noise and wouldn't go...sort of like what it does with a pop up...

------

quixoticpixels
starstar
quixoticpixels  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 4/2/08
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 7/24/11 9:14 PM

Nicegirl's "Here" link opens up a new window so you don't have to leave PR. It sounds like you have your system configured so it won't open new windows. I believe the urls on PR are all set up to do that, so you may want to change that setting.

In the meantime, you can paste this into your browser to get to the page nicegirl mentioned above:

http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com/2011/07/pattern-review-photo-posting.html

------
Amy
http://quixoticpixels.blogspot.com

quixoticpixels
starstar
quixoticpixels  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 4/2/08
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 7/24/11 9:16 PM

Quote: kirstensews
Since I am a member I think I will start with PR's photo album...and then move on to your suggestions. I will go now and futz with the camera to see how I can minimize the info and still have the photos look nice. If I go to least resolution and compress to small I think the image will be of such poor quality no one could really see the images.

(eee gad crawling out of that rock and finding myself in this computer world is NOT fun! Your help is SO needed!)

Looks like you were replying to me while I was replying to you
-- Edited on 7/24/11 8:53 PM --

By the way, if you sign up with flickr or another photo hosting site, they usually convert your image to multiple sizes. Flickr, for instance, creates a thumbnail version, a small version, a couple of mediums a large and preserves your original. You wouldn't have to do anything to the photo other than upload it.

------
Amy
http://quixoticpixels.blogspot.com

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 7/24/11 10:42 PM

I did get the photo into my photo gallery and now I cannot get it to my purse topic. You can supposedly get the html but i can't seem to get it to link...arrrgh

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> Photo..how to post?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Jalie 2327

photo
by: Mazzygirl

Review
New Look 6901

photo
by: CurlyCraft...

Review
Petite Plus 151 Pattern

Petite Plus 151 Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop New Yorker Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop New Yorker Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.