SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sew Alongs > Morphing the Dressform into Me ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Morphing the Dressform into Me
misery loves company....
jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

Date: 7/31/11 2:01 AM

I have been meaning to make my dressform accurately reflect me for several years now. I keep putting it off, as it will be a painful process. When I bought the form years ago, it was almost me, now with age and weight gains, it is way off except for the bust.
In preporation for fall and winter sewing, I am determined to make it fit.

The process involves making a skin tight dress and then wrapping and padding out the form to match your body contours. I will be using the Butterick fitting shell
5627 There is a 5628 also that comes in larger sizes. Both are on sale now at Butterick for $2.99. Vogue also has a fitting shell pattern or you could use a sheath dress pattern...

I plan to start in about two weeks...anyone care to join me? I figure this is the kind of project that requires lots of moral support and hand holding. We could be there for each other....

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to jannw

Date: 7/31/11 9:20 AM

BTDT, but I used a different pattern. You can pm me if you have questions or need a shoulder to cry on. But once it's finished, you will be soooo happy!

One thing to keep in mind, the bust area will not bend in as much as you, no matter what you do. So if you're planning on making bras, or something very tight fitting, your form can't be used for that. Not unless if you use one of your old bras. You might want to try placing laces in that area, between the girls to get the shape you need. Then pulling them tight for shape.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

happytobehere
happytobehere
Beginner
Member since 7/31/10
Send Message

Date: 7/31/11 10:32 AM

My dressform is nothing like me either. I can't promise to join you (too many things on the go now) but I will watch with interest and wish you good luck on the project.

my horse
star
my horse
Advanced
North Carolina USA
Member since 5/9/05
Send Message

Date: 7/31/11 12:55 PM

I kept making things that were a tiche too small last year and my DD was getting a new wardrobe in the process. I finally had the duh moment that I hadn't changed my form in several years. It made a world of difference to change even those 1/4" increments. The only problem I couldn't overcome was the perfectly shaped tushie she has...unlike the one I don't have! DH offered to saw it off for me!! You'll be really pleased with the improvement I'm sure!

------
She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight. Proverbs 31:13 NAS

Margaret
starstarstarstar
Margaret  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia Canada
Member since 11/4/02
Send Message

Date: 8/1/11 9:00 AM

I have one form that's too small and another that's too big. So I probably should join in, but I'm not sure I'll be able to -- I'm supposed to get a lot of work around the middle of August.

In any case, I just wanted to say that these Butterick patterns seem to have been re-numbered. I made 5746 a few years ago and it looks the same as 5627. There was also a women's pattern, 6092, that looks the same as 5628. I don't know if they changed anything besides the numbers, but you can find the reviews under the old numbers here (misses') and here (women's). Also, there's a review of 5627 here.

------
http://stoffandnonsense.blogspot.com
Stash turnover:
Q1 2014: -17.655, +4.222yd
Q2: -72.3, +14.08yd
Q3: -12.11, +12.83yd

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 8/1/11 9:18 AM

OK. I am in. Hopefully life will cooperate. My dress form arrived fall of 2007, I think. Life got in the way as it has over the past 7 years (no wonder I am so exhausted!). I will be using the moulage from last November's Kenneth King moulage workshop. I'm a little more toned than I was then so some adjustment might be needed.

Memo to self: clean up the sewing room and dig out the moulage. Two weeks should enough time to prepare for this useful project.

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild

Date: 8/1/11 2:15 PM

I'm happy to hear that it is a worthwhile project...I don't sew anything tight fitting at my age and figure...but the form does wear my old bra so that the bust is about the only semi accurate measure on the form currently. I'd like to get more use out of it than taking photos of completed projects....that sounds an interesting modification..I'll definitly consider it..

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to EleanorSews

Date: 8/1/11 2:20 PM

Great!! I'm pleased to have company...Your shape sounds as if it is going in the opposite direction of mine. I've gained about 30 pounds since I bought mine..all in the abdomen... You're lucky to have a a good starting point..

I've requested the last two weeks of August off from work..so hope to have it finished..and the bathroom painted..by September 1.

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 8/1/11 4:48 PM

I'm sure you all know this already, but I'm just going to throw it out there anyway... I Kept Meaning To Do This, for about two years... and never got around to it. I'd even purchased the fitting shell & batting... STILL never got around to it.

...And then I got the Fabulous Fit Fitting System for Christmas, and had a perfect double by Dec 26 (NAYY). It took about 45 minutes to arrange the pads (I did have to use additional shoulder pads and "cutlets" to get the bust right), and it is truly frightening how accurate a replica it is. If you lop off the heads, I honestly can't tell the difference between a garment photographed on me, and one photographed on my dress form.

When I got mine, they were going for $69 on sale; I see today they're $89, which is STILL a bargain, IMO, with the amount of effort you save over trying to figure it all out yourself.

http://www.fabulousfit.com/fitting_system.html

HOWEVER, if I *hadn't* already gone the FFFS direction, I'd probably STILL be meaning to get around to this, so I'd definitely be joining in your SAL! LOL

------
~Gem in the prairie

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue

Date: 8/2/11 1:16 AM

Thanx for the link. I had read about those, but when I first got my form, I attempted to pad it out using an old Tshirt for a cover. I had problems with the shapes and measuring. How much of the total inches was rear and front and such. I think I'll have better luck with a non stretch cover that shows where I need the padding.
It's nice to hear that it worked so well for you. Did you use your own form or did you buy one of theirs? I'm thinking about just getting an arm to add to my JoAnn's form. Although at that price, I may try to make my own!

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> Morphing the Dressform into Me

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Simplicity 2812

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Butterick 5490

photo
by: sewdc

Review
Petite Plus 204 Pattern

Petite Plus 204 Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop New Yorker Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop New Yorker Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.