SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Spaces > Best flooring for sewing room ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Best flooring for sewing room
snuzal
star
snuzal
Intermediate
International NEW ZEALAND
Member since 7/7/07
Send Message

Date: 8/2/11 3:37 AM

Carpet certainly isn't a goer, pins and thread everywhere...
But if you had the choice, would you use tiles, vinyl, or a woodgrain laminate planking.

------
Check my blog :)
http://snuzalsews.blogspot.com/

Juki Exceed F600, Babylock Imagine, Janome 300E.

FaithM

FaithM  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 2/22/09
Send Message

Date: 8/2/11 6:03 AM

Tile is a great surface but I wouldn't choose it for a sewing room because I like to sew in bare feet and tile feels cold to me. The vinyl or laminate would be my choice and given the popularity of laminate I'd probably go shopping in that direction.

Jannerie

Jannerie
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 7/10/09
Send Message

Date: 8/2/11 6:29 AM

My husband installed hardwood in my sewing room. I love it. If thats not an option I would suggest the laminate.

Good luck with your new floor.

------
Pfaff creative Sensation,
Singer 15-91,237,221,328K,301,301a,401,403,404,500,503
Bernina 630, 125jubilae
Viking 6020

Sewinglady1947
Sewinglady1947
Advanced
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

In reply to snuzal

Date: 8/2/11 7:37 AM

I have laminate in my sewing room and it has done great. There are some things of laminate you need to know. It is cold, also when mopping it does leave foot prints and if you spill water you have to get it up immediately. I put it in sewing room ,bedrooms. living room and kitchen. I flooded the kitchen and it came apart in minutes. We replaced the kitchen with allure planks from Home Depot. It is my favorite. It is warmer, quieter, and just as pretty. Check both out before buying. I do not regret putting laminate in sewing room but I would just look at both. One thing the laminate doesn't leave scratches but is easy to chip when something heavy is dropped on it.

------
sewing grammy

Elizabeth made this
starstar
Elizabeth made this  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 8/8/07
Send Message

Date: 8/2/11 9:41 AM

I have a low pile berber in my room which actually does fine with the threads and pins. Being a basement room, and having cold feet in general, I'd be uncomfortable with any other surface. It gives me an excuse to use my Dyson too. ;)

------
emadethis.wordpress.com

The best project you could be working on is the one that's on the table right now.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
online now
Send Message

Date: 8/2/11 10:17 AM

I have laminate in my sewing room and really do love it there. We have the Allure planks in the kitchen and it is warmer, as sewinglady says. It is also quieter, both to walk on and when things fall on it.

The planks are sheets of a heavy duty compound that is probably easier to DIY than laminate. We have done both. Laminate needs a power saw to cut and the allure can be cut with tin snips, which is very nice.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 8/2/11 10:27 AM

We have ceramic tile in our house except for the 3 smaller bedrooms in which we have laminate flooring. The laminate is very nice IMHO for sewing room floor. If you drop pins they come up easily if you have a magnetci pincushion-no sticking in carpet. It also cleans nicely.

KarenTeel

KarenTeel
Illinois USA
Member since 4/22/08
Send Message

Date: 8/2/11 3:20 PM

Very timely question for me too. We are almost done redoing the basement after our flood and the flooring is a hard one for us. We had carpet before and I do not want to go that route again. Yes, it was berber and pretty easy to clean but what a mess after the flood. We looked at the sheet vinyl and that looks really good. The hard part is getting the concrete floor ready for it. Previous owners had walls up and there are a lot of floor nails (big things) and getting them up will damage the floor even more.

Right now I am leaning towards just finishing the floor as best we can and putting cement paint down. I can get some gel mats for around the cutting table to ease the back strain.

We are really torn on this one.

------
Karen

Sewinglady1947
Sewinglady1947
Advanced
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

In reply to KarenTeel

Date: 8/2/11 3:56 PM

Do not put laminate where you could have a water problem! I learned the hard way and it was a very expensive lesson. Google Allure Planks. I wished I had before I did my floors twice. The laminate is o.k. in sewing rooms where there isn't a water problem. But I would do allure planks next time in any of my rooms. The allure planks are being used in more homes. I don't think there is a perfect flooring but I have had about everything except hardwood and these planks are my favorite. Of course if I had had my way I would have hardwood.I think it is a good idea about painting and using mats.
-- Edited on 8/2/11 3:59 PM --

------
sewing grammy

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
online now
Send Message

In reply to Sewinglady1947

Date: 8/2/11 5:25 PM

Re: water - I left the drain slightly ajar on my front loader when I cleaned it out and some water ran on to the laundry room floor (concrete) where we have some Allure. Water seeped out from between the planks when I stepped on them but I mopped it up and the floor looks exactly as it did before. Not sure how it would handle a full fledged flood, but definitely better than laminate would, for sure.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> Best flooring for sewing room

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

brerrabbit.com Gertie\'s book for better

photo
by: ErikaMadeI...

Review
Burda 9826

photo
by: sewinfranc...

Review
Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Valencia Jacket & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Valencia Jacket & Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.