SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Invisible zipper foot for an older Bernina 801/830 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Invisible zipper foot for an older Bernina 801/830
Can't figure out which foot
rebelina

rebelina  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
TX
Member since 6/1/10
Send Message

Date: 8/5/11 9:38 AM

My Bernina dealer has a BOGO on all feet... I really need an invisible zip foot for my 801, which I know is the old style foot but I'm not sure if Bernina even offers that foot for the older machines.

Can anyone tell me if this is something I can pick up from my dealer, or do I need to get the shank adapter thing(y) from one of those vendors on eBay? If you happen to have such a foot from Bernina, do you know what number it is?

Just asking to find out if y'all can answer this easily, because sometimes getting a straight answer (and decent help) at my dealer is difficult. They're always insanely busy and their idea of customer service is often lacking.

Thank you!!

------
Bernina Aurora 430
Bernina Activa 125
Singer 403A
Singer 66 Lotus Treadle
Brother 1034D
Janome Coverpro 1000cp

elizajo
star
elizajo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA USA
Member since 4/15/05
Send Message

Date: 8/5/11 10:06 AM

Invisible Presser Foot #35

I have a vintage 830 and have bought quite a few presser feet over the past few years. You can use most of the presser feet on an older machine as long as they aren't the wide feet for the wider feed dogs on the newer machines. I always ask the sales person if it is compatible. The #35 looks like is has a narrow profile and would work on your machine. My dealer was out of it when I was shopping for a few new feet several years ago. The sales person told me I could use the pin tuck foot #30 to do the same thing.

Check out the Yahoo group "Bernina ThirtySomethings". They have lots of info to share about older Berninas.

------
Elizabeth

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
VA USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 8/5/11 11:50 AM

Quote:
You can use most of the presser feet on an older machine as long as they aren't the wide feet for the wider feed dogs on the newer machines.

I'm not sure why, but my foot 35 has a sensor. Perhaps on some machines, this somehow engages straight stitch safeties. It works well with my 5.5mm machine. Don't be put off if the only feet available have sensors.

Apologies for the somewhat narrow depth of field, but I hope you can see that the slots for the teeth are somewhat inclined. This lets the foot install a zipper that has not been ironed open. It works well.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to rebelina
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/5/11 2:54 PM

I have never heard of a Bernina dealer who still stocks & sells the old feet from that generation. That said, , , if you have a pintuck foot for your 801 you can use it for invisible zippers.

annenet
star
annenet  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/2/03
online now
Send Message

Date: 8/5/11 3:25 PM

My dealer still stocks the old feet and there is an invisable zipper foot for them. It's foot #35. Before that I used a pintuck foot the #35 works better.

------
So many projects, not enough time
At my house in VA:
Bernina 1010, Activa 220, Artista 630E, B580
Singer 201-2, 221, Bernina Serger 1300MDC, Babylock Enlighten, Babylock Sashiko, Consew 75T

At my Lake House in PA:
Bernina Artista 165E, Singer 503A. Bernina Serger 1100d

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

kittykate
star
kittykate
Intermediate
ON CANADA
Member since 12/18/02
Send Message

Date: 8/5/11 9:52 PM

I have a shank adaptor and then put a $4 vintage invisible foot on it. I've also used the pintuck foot, but really do like the vintage foot, back from when invisible zippers first made their debut. If you have the chance to buy a shank adaptor, go for it. It will be useful. I use a generic walking foot with it as well.

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

Date: 8/5/11 10:47 PM

I agree the #35 works better than the pin tuck. My dealer stocks both old and new.

rebelina

rebelina  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
TX
Member since 6/1/10
Send Message

Date: 8/6/11 10:55 AM

edited to add: the 35 foot for newer berninas doesn't fit the older one. I don't get it.

Thank you all so much! I had no idea that my new style #35 foot would fit on the older machine.
-- Edited on 8/6/11 3:04 PM --

------
Bernina Aurora 430
Bernina Activa 125
Singer 403A
Singer 66 Lotus Treadle
Brother 1034D
Janome Coverpro 1000cp

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to annenet

Date: 8/6/11 4:06 PM

Quote: annenet
Before that I used a pintuck foot the #35 works better.

I definitely agree! Once I discovered the #35 foot, I stopped using the pintuck foot.
Kathi R
star
Kathi R  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 2/28/05
PR Weekend Volunteer
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/8/11 0:43 AM

Another fan of the #35 foot here....stopped using my pin tuck foot and starting putting in more invisible zips with the #35 which makes the task easy and fast. I have the old style foot and use it on both my 1230 and my 9mm wide 1630.

------
2012 : starting stash 386, net additions 206, used 164, ending stash 428...I'm never going to get in front of this pile of fabric!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Invisible zipper foot for an older Bernina 801/830

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

McCall's 5934

photo
by: Vanclar

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2012-111

photo
by: Kemish

Review
Petite Plus Patterns Walking Jacket

Petite Plus Patterns Walking Jacket

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern

Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.