SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > best affordable plaster bandage casting material for dress form? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
best affordable plaster bandage casting material for dress form?
plaster mold for dress form
sewnotwork
star
sewnotwork
Advanced Beginner
Colorado USA
Member since 7/19/11
Send Message

Date: 8/12/11 3:39 PM

I would like to make a dress form and use plaster bandages to make the mold. Anyone have an opinion on art supply bandages vs medical supply bandages? What site did you order from online. I found a place orthotape.com anyone purchase from them? Thanks!

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to sewnotwork

Date: 8/12/11 5:45 PM

There are a number of descriptions of this process out there. Here's the result of a google search.

janlorraine

janlorraine
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 10/6/04
Send Message

In reply to sewnotwork

Date: 8/13/11 1:32 PM

You might try to find one of the old bendable wire mesh "my double" dress forms. I find these work very well. I have covered mine with stretch cotton so that I can pin into it. If your measurements change, you can reshape it easily. I have also put mine over a wolf dress form so that it is easy to move around and rotate. These show up on Ebay and also Craigslist.

audsews

audsews
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 8/13/11 5:21 PM

I used fast dry plaster bandages from a medical supply. Amazing what you can buy over the internet. Are ;you using the 2 part expfor the insides?

sewnotwork
star
sewnotwork
Advanced Beginner
Colorado USA
Member since 7/19/11
Send Message

In reply to audsews

Date: 8/14/11 1:25 AM

Do you happen to remember the medical supply website that you ordered from? I can get a box of 12 for around $49 shipped. I just don't know how that compares. It seems reasonable.

sewnotwork
star
sewnotwork
Advanced Beginner
Colorado USA
Member since 7/19/11
Send Message

In reply to janlorraine

Date: 8/14/11 1:31 AM

The reason why I was thinking about making my own is that I'm petite just shy of 5'1" and wear between a size 2 and 4 with RTW. So some of those dress forms would not be adjustable to my size and also some are prohibitively expensive for just a hobby occasional sewer. I did acquire some beautiful Thai silk that I do not want to ruin so it is prompting me to think about dress forms. It is a pain, pinning and fitting myself.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to sewnotwork

Date: 8/14/11 2:09 AM

I think you will be delighted with your own dressform. It will mimic your own shape in a way that is impossible with commercial dressforms, and I find that not only does it really cut down on the time it takes to fit things to your body, but you can also often 'see' that a pattern you're trying out on a dressform is totally wrong for your figure!

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/14/11 2:54 AM

I haven't done a plaster form yet but have read that its important not to get more than 2 layers of the stuff on, and so dye the water of one layer so you can more easily see where you have covered already.

------
http://patternpandemonium.wordpress.com/

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to petro

Date: 8/14/11 1:45 PM

If you're making a plaster form to be filled with foam, the number of layers matters probably less than the snugness of the wrap: If you wrap too loosely (out of fear of fainting, for example) the cover will be loose, and the foam filling will wind up bigger than yourself. This is a common happening, and it's really not too serious if you're handy with a file, because you just gently file the form down, checking her frequently against your measurements.

In general, I would prefer to wrapped a bit too tight, regardless of whether it's a stand-alone paper tape form or a plaster bandage form that gets filled with foam, because the resultant form would be closer to my measurements. But then, I do not have problems with claustrophobia or fainting during the wrap process

janlorraine

janlorraine
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 10/6/04
Send Message

In reply to sewnotwork

Date: 8/14/11 2:31 PM

The old bendable wire dress forms are entirely malleable. They are also not very expensive; I just bought another one on Craig's List for $40.00. Your height will also not matter since the central pole from which it is suspended is adjustable. I am only 5'2" and they are fine for me as well as my daughter who is 5'6". But I don't think you know what this form looks like. If you search on Ebay for antique or vintage Wire Dress form perhaps you will be able to see one. They separate into two halves which when you put them on can be shaped to mimic your body exactly. I think they were marketed in the 40s. They are entirely different from the ones you see today.
-- Edited on 8/14/11 2:38 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> best affordable plaster bandage casting material for dress form?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

New Look 6732

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
McCall's 6404

photo
by: trumbelina

Review
Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Jackets for Real People DVD

Jackets for Real People DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.