SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sew Alongs > 2011 Holiday Sewing Sew Along ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
2011 Holiday Sewing Sew Along
Let's start early on our gifts!
minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 8/16/11 4:23 PM

I'm going to be ambitious this year. I want to sew, knit, paint/draw, and cook/bake the gifts I'm going to share this year- it'll be a complete DIY holiday.

Anyone else eager to get started on their gifts right now? Let's get started early, we're half way through August already! Yikes.

From my sewing list so far:
A tuxedo blazer for my sister
A couple of small art quilts for the niece and nephew
A tent for our cat
A quilted table runner for a friend
Pair of pajama bottoms for a friend

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

Cands
Cands
Member since 4/21/11
Send Message

Date: 8/16/11 4:43 PM

I'm really interested in reading everyone's ideas for christmas gifts.

I'm planning on making super hero capes for my kids and my nephew. But I don't have any good sewing ideas for the adults on my list.

shanntarra
starstar
shanntarra
Expert/Couture
Texas USA
Member since 3/19/09
Send Message

Date: 8/16/11 4:44 PM

We are doing PJ's for the little kids, and PJ bottoms for the adults. We are doing them in 'family' colors, and made from only 3 patterns. Will this work, we shall see. So far we are starting with the youngest and working toward the oldest. Since this was the DH's idea, and he has learned how to correctly cut out patterns , he is doing the cutting out, and I'm doing the sewing. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

------
"Costume Tech's are overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated except to those designers, actors, directors, playwrights, and other theater artists who depend on them." - The Costume Technicians Handbook

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 8/16/11 4:47 PM

I have been knitting washcloths for my Mom. I am knitting a scarf for DH. I have an apron cut & ready to go for my friend who grooms dogs...... this apron I have fussy cut so there is I love dogs on all the pockets!
That is all so far. ......... this should be a wonderful Sew Along!

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..

mustxstitch

mustxstitch
Member since 12/15/07
Send Message

Date: 8/18/11 4:55 PM

I have not even started yet. One of my plans is to sew matching sewing machine covers for Hubby and me. He sews a lot and we have 2 machines so we can both be sewing without re threading the machine. I am making a dress for my GD The Munchkin and a vest with pants for GS. I give them to my daughter early so the kids can wear them from Thanksgiving thru New Year's day.
My daughter wants a Christmas tree skirt and bag holder with potholders for her kitchen. I am sewing Barbie clothes and Cabbage Patch clothes for Munchkins birthday right after Christmas. No idea at all for my SIL...he collects dragons.

grandma dee

Janine S
star
Janine S
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/24/02
Send Message

Date: 8/18/11 6:40 PM

Hi,

I'd love to join you all in this sew a long and I look forward to seeing what others are making.

Each year I try and make a few items, but this year intend to get right into it and make many more. My DSIL and I, over the past few years, have tried to give each other gifts that don't need storing, dusting or add to the clutter around our homes. Over the years these gifts have included hampers of home baked goodies (spiced nuts, cookies, homemade sweets, homemade sauces etc), garden goodies (herb seedlings, seasonal vegetable plants etc), personal items (shampoo, conditioner, handwash, bathsalts etc) - all consummable It does take a bit of preparation, but is so much easier than fighting the Christmas shopping crowds. I save any fancy jars or storage containers through the year for use in the hamper and keep my eye out for a suitable container. It doesn't have to be a cane hamper, a washing basket works just as well and can be use afterwards, and if all else fails, there's always a cardboard box to be found.

Embroidered towels are my gift to my grown niece. We have a manchester factory outlet nearby that sells good quality plain towels very cheaply. Through the year I've picked these up for as little as $A5 each, along with handtowels for $A2. Once embroidered they look megabucks.

This year I plan to do the hamper again for both SIL's, towels for the DN and some pj's for the 10yo DN. For the males, I'm thinking BBQ aprons, but that may change.

Sorry to have waffled on - can you see I love this time of year

Janine

------
Janine (in Sydney)

newmama
star
newmama  Friend of PR
Intermediate
South Carolina USA
Member since 6/28/09
Send Message

Date: 8/19/11 0:28 AM

I decided last year to make (almost) all of my Christmas gifts and I'm continuing that this year. I started my sewing in January during the fabric stash contest but didn't get as far as I wanted to since it's just no fun to sew 12 months out. I made a few re-usable grocery bags and cornbags and have a few more of each to make.
My plans so far:
~holiday pj pants for myself, my husband and my 2 kids
~2 pairs of pj pants for my dad
~embroidered, hooded towels for my parents (for when their grandkids come to visit)
~CD holder for my sister
~jumpers for my twin nieces, along with embroidered pillowcases and crayon rolls
~silky pajamas for my husband
I'm also going to try to finish up some cross-stitch projects I started (two from the early 90s and one from about 6 years ago).
That won't take care of everyone on my list, but it's a start. Thanks for starting this sew-a-long, I think it will help me stay on track!

------
angie
http://danikate-designs.blogspot.com/

purplebouquet
star
purplebouquet
Advanced
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/05
Send Message

Date: 8/19/11 10:12 AM

In another Christmas-sewing thread, somebody mentioned luggage tags. Any instructions how to make those?

Claudia

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to purplebouquet

Date: 8/19/11 10:24 AM

I am thinking it was Miss Fairchild that made those last year?

I saw a very cute butterfly panel last night at sewing class. I think I might get one & make it for Mom. It makes a big pillow.... very big fluffy pillow! ...... I think Mom might like something unique & colorful for her bed.

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..

Catrinka
Catrinka  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/27/10
Send Message

In reply to minggiddylooloo

Date: 8/19/11 6:31 PM

Quote: minggiddylooloo
I'm going to be ambitious this year. I want to sew, knit, paint/draw, and cook/bake the gifts I'm going to share this year- it'll be a complete DIY holiday.

Anyone else eager to get started on their gifts right now? Let's get started early, we're half way through August already! Yikes.

From my sewing list so far:

A tuxedo blazer for my sister

A couple of small art quilts for the niece and nephew

A tent for our cat

A quilted table runner for a friend

Pair of pajama bottoms for a friend

I'm courious. What is a tent for your cat? Is it for the cat or the litter box?

I've been thinking of making some type of tent to go over the litter box making it look like an outhouse.
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> 2011 Holiday Sewing Sew Along

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Simplicity 1880

photo
by: Josnazz

Review
Butterick 5814

photo
by: LizJaneB

Review
Sewing Workshop Liberty Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Liberty Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Paradiso Designs Okashi Courier Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Okashi Courier Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.