SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > This is why I'm glad I sew. ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
This is why I'm glad I sew.
The latest from the garment industry.
CConverse
CConverse
Beginner
New York USA
Member since 4/29/11
Send Message

Date: 8/21/11 11:55 AM

Article I stumbled upon while surfing Yahoo... major brands trying to get by with using less fabric, using clever ways to get us to think we're getting more value in RTW...

Higher prices for back to school clothes

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Subject: This is why Im glad I sew. Date: 8/21/11 1:21 PM

I read that too. $10 for 10 extra buttons to create a new and trendy design detail.
-- Edited on 8/21/11 1:21 PM --

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 5/11/03
Send Message

In reply to CConverse

Date: 8/21/11 4:01 PM

I have noticed where prices have not increased, quality has gone down. Shopping for my dd I have been seeing lots of unfinished edges in knits and thinner and lower quality fabrics.

It is really hard for me to take because I no longer have the time to sew most of her clothes like I did when she was little and I have to buy mainly RTW for her.

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

Nikki
starstarstarstar
Nikki  Friend of PR
Advanced
Maryland USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/21/11 8:21 PM

It probably doesn't save them money, but I can't stand the 'trend' in prints that have white sections in the middle of the print as if the fabric had been wrinkled when it went into the printing machine. It just looks like a reject print to me, even though it is printed that way on purpose (this time).

------
mmmmm woooool

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 8/21/11 8:40 PM

I used to shop at Talbots a lot when I worked a corporate job. I noticed the quality getting worse and worse. I'm glad I have time to sew now!

------
Mary

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
District of Columbia USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

In reply to Nikki

Date: 8/21/11 8:51 PM

Quote: Nikki
It probably doesn't save them money, but I can't stand the 'trend' in prints that have white sections in the middle of the print as if the fabric had been wrinkled when it went into the printing machine. It just looks like a reject print to me, even though it is printed that way on purpose (this time).

Yes! What is up with that??? I first noticed this about two months ago and now I see it everywhere. It looks like everyone is wearing really cheap, low quality, fell-off-a-truck offcuts. I mean, I guess they are really cheap and low quality, but on purpose. Yuck! I think it is so ugly and terrible.

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
District of Columbia USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/21/11 8:59 PM

corrected link

And on the actual article, it was hard to follow the content with such terrible editing!

""We're not seeing deflation or inflation; we're seeing con-flation," he said. "Stores are making consumers believe their getting more for their money.""

and a few paragraphs later...

Spencer Elmen, owner of Cupid's Lingerie, which operates five stores in Arkansas, said he is seeing more items in his store that are even skimpier than usual, from underwear to mini dresses. He says that's because designers are finding clever ways to conceal the fact that they're clothes have less fabric.""

Two their/they're problems!!!

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Subject: This is why Im glad I sew. Date: 8/21/11 9:27 PM

I've noticed for a couple years that even upscale department stores are selling tops and blouses for $70-$80 that are made from cheap poly georgette that can be had for $1 in certain places.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to CConverse

Date: 8/21/11 10:24 PM

The clothes in my store have come in at a higher price. But the quilty of the fabric hasn't changed. Our tops brands that we carry are jones sport signature, Ralph Lauren, clavin Klein, dressy and denim and ann taylor. some of our prices have gone up 10.00.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to nicegirl

Date: 8/22/11 8:19 AM

Food mfg. are doing the same thing-shrinking boxes, candy bars, etc. then charging more.
I realized it's not my body that's changed, my favorite Hanes/Fruit of the Loom underwear is cutting out fabric too. Plus my 11 hard-to-find shoes are not always 11's in reality.

I think with the huge Teenage market, mfg. are content to make thin 1-season clothing too. Right now I am re-doing elastic that snapped in a couple of my GD's Target tops after just a few washings. Oh for the days when you got 2-3 extra inches in pants' hems to let down for long legs!

And of course we grandmas are rather dismayed at 8-year olds dressing like the 17-year olds of yesterday, and pining after Justin Bieber instead of dolls. How do you moms handle that?!

-- Edited on 8/22/11 8:22 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> This is why I'm glad I sew.

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Understanding Knit Fabrics
Understanding Knit Fabrics

Class Details

Butterick 05175

photo
by: aunrea

Review
Simplicity 1723

photo
by: Larisa

Review
Bluegingerdoll Odette Dress Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll Odette Dress Paper Pattern

More Info
Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.