SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Floor Steamers... ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Floor Steamers...
Anyone have one, what kind?
JillyBean333
star
JillyBean333
Intermediate
MN USA
Member since 10/20/07
Send Message

Date: 8/29/11 8:49 AM

Hi guys, so I've been wanting a floor steamer for quite a while and saw one at Target for $49.99...well it needs to go back as it makes steam...but it's not even hot. I cautiously stuck my hand under and I'm not sure how that's even steam. As someone who's been burned by her iron...I know that wans't hot enough.

Anyway, what kind of steamer do you have and does it get hot enough? Also....the one I have requires you to pump the handle and I don't want to have to pump. The ones I've seen in commercials just make steam.

Thanks for any advice. I do need to keep it around $100...is it possible to find one that makes HOT steam?
-- Edited on 8/29/11 8:49 AM --

------
JillyBean
http://craftysupreme.etsy.com

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to JillyBean333

Date: 8/29/11 9:40 AM

I can only tell you that if I stick my hand under my monster steamer it doesn't seem all that hot.. but if I touch the tip or very near the tip.. I will burn my finger. My guess is its hot enough.. but wonder what brand you choose.. I have never cared for or had faith in the shark and euro brands sold by Target. although I love their store overall.

I bought my monster steamer at below l00.. but the prices were all over the board on it.. Threaddie bought the McCollough and she has just raved about it.. Both ours were cannister models. but if I was buying a model today. floor or cannister I would try the McCollough.

My other guess is that due to the potential for lawsuits. they don't make a home model that would get tooooo HOT.

JillyBean333
star
JillyBean333
Intermediate
MN USA
Member since 10/20/07
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 8/29/11 10:22 AM

PP...yes I got the Shark from Target' Boutique.

I know you get what you pay for but the one I got you also have to keep pumping or the steam won't come out. I guess I will have to do more research. It was a bit impulsive I suppose, but was something I've wanted for a long time and it was on sale so decided to get it.

I'll look into the monster and see what people say about that one. The one I got only has one steam hole and maybe that's pretty common. Oh I suppose they don't want you to get burned...but I dunno they sell irons and I still have a scar from burning myself on the steam from the iron.

------
JillyBean

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to JillyBean333

Date: 8/29/11 10:33 AM

Return the shark. Its not the price per se on this this machine.. its just the brand.. I have seen steamers .. good ones at big lots for not much higher than what you paid..
Check out Lowes. they did have steamers .. good ones.. at not too high a price..
An iron has to be HOT . really hot.. to do the job.. If its not people would demand it.. and they assume we are smart enough not to touch an iron.. but for some reason.. people want to check out the steam on the floor steamers..

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UT USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

Date: 8/29/11 10:41 AM

I have a Haan steamer, and like it very much. Haan. There are several models, this one is light. My only quibble is that you probably need more than one pad; once they get pretty wet it's harder to move the steamer around.

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to kkkkaty

Date: 8/29/11 11:19 AM

Good point. more pads are definitely needed. I don't have time to stop and wash out the only one that comes with the machines.. And boy are they expensive. Wish someone would come up with a way to make these pads.. Maybe someone here on PR has done that and can advise the rest of us.

Carol Mendoza
star
Carol Mendoza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA USA
Member since 5/1/06
Send Message

In reply to JillyBean333

Date: 8/29/11 12:26 PM

I have this one and love, love , love it!!! I did buy extra cloths to go on it, so I have 4 in all.

I see from the link that it now COMES with 6 cloths...wow this price is a deal, darn it!(Not affiliated with their site in any way)
-- Edited on 8/29/11 1:40 PM --

------
Bernina 730E; 440QE; Vintage 121; Babylock Evolution

allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AR USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

Date: 8/29/11 1:16 PM

I glad I saw this post I have been wanting a steamer and looking at the shark. If I got one that didn't work DH would never let me try another one. By the way I have burned my hand with my steam iron just trying to keep something folded in front of it. You don't have to get anywhere near it to get burned LOL. I know I should be using pins or glue or something to hold it in place...

JillyBean333
star
JillyBean333
Intermediate
MN USA
Member since 10/20/07
Send Message

In reply to allycovey

Date: 8/29/11 2:02 PM

Yes, I guess I did put my hand down to feel the steam on the floor steamer.Actually you know what...it wasn't the iron that burned me (it was so traumatic I blocked it out :)...it was one of those stupid hard boiled egg makers that you plug in. The thing went in the garbage can after I burned myself and now I use a good old sauce pan to boil my eggs.

------
JillyBean

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 5/11/03
Send Message

Date: 8/29/11 5:07 PM

I have a McCullough canister steamer and I love it. It does floors and has a bizillion other attachments too. My only complaint is that it only came with 2 floor pads, so I had to buy extra.

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Floor Steamers...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Easy to Sew Baby Layette Pattern

SewBaby Easy to Sew Baby Layette Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.