Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > Finally made a decision ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Finally made a decision
Sailrite LSZ-1
dukaqwn

dukaqwn  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MS USA
Member since 2/12/09
Login to reply to this post

Date: 8/29/11 11:37 AM

I have been checking in here and there, posting questions from time to time with you guys, and I thank you all for your responses.

I have to drive 90 miles to have my machines tuned up, but I really trust the dealer/repairman that I have used all of these years. I had narrowed my choices down to the SailRite and the Janome 1600DBX. The dealer, who is a huge Janome fan, suggested I go with the SailRite for my needs. So I have decided to order one Friday and give it a try. One of the deciding factor was getting something that I can help with if I need it. It is nice to know that I can get this machine from my preferred dealer.

I should have it sometime next week, and I'll check in after I've had a chance to play with it.

------
http://sewtarot.blogspot.com/

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07

In reply to dukaqwn

Date: 8/29/11 12:06 PM

Okay.. but you might want to read what aguywhosews wrote about that sailrite. which he returned btw.

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 4/12/05

In reply to dukaqwn

Date: 8/29/11 12:09 PM

Brian said it did not sew straight and it drove him nuts. He was so thrilled to own one and ended up very disappointed in the machine. He also had to order other parts for it. He returned it.

Personally, I would go with the Janome and forget the Sailrite---just my opinion. You might like it and it might fit your needs or it might not. In the end, it is always your choice and your money to spend.

------
I am a Quilter at heart. I love to play with fabrics, patterns and colors. Recently I have discovered I enjoy doing applique. I love making pictures. Using a sewing machine is much easier than counted cross stitch or oil painting for me. I enjoy landscape quilting as well. I am working on my first applique project in the spring of 2014.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07

In reply to Learn To Sew

Date: 8/29/11 12:14 PM

Thanks LTS. I was looking for the thread this was discussed on.. but keep getting interrupted.

I hate to rain on anyones parade when it comes to Sewing Machines.. but I think she should read it before she buys one. I also think she was very smart to post her decision here on PR before actually buying one..

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 4/12/05

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 8/29/11 12:40 PM

Brians thread was called "Pulled The Trigger Again' . Date 7/13/11. He had a Juki F600 and wanted the Sailrite and ended up sending the Sailrite back and rebuying a Juki F600. This thread is 5 pages long and many replies.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to get it to link correctly. I can do the link, but it does not show the topic, on the Home page of PR.

Learn

------
I am a Quilter at heart. I love to play with fabrics, patterns and colors. Recently I have discovered I enjoy doing applique. I love making pictures. Using a sewing machine is much easier than counted cross stitch or oil painting for me. I enjoy landscape quilting as well. I am working on my first applique project in the spring of 2014.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Ms. Bijou
Ms. Bijou
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/13/10

Date: 8/29/11 6:40 PM

I love my Juki but I'm hoping you can at least try out the Sailrite. Different people have different techniques for sewing and maybe your technique would be a great match for one. I'd surely try one out if I could afford one and had room!! Now that I have a technique that works for me to get straight seams.

I found that if I hold back the fabric a tiny bit and "steer" it from the front vs trying to guide it from the back that I have MUCH more control. One never knows what someone else is doing wrong or right when they sew. Remember he also hated the Juki but turned around and bought it again. To each his own, truly.

I do NOT think the Juki can hold a candle to the heavy duty sewing a Sailrite can handle. I think it's like comparing apples to oranges. They are just not the same and not made for the same type of sewing.

ilesliemy
ilesliemy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 2/25/05

Date: 8/29/11 7:04 PM

My 1600P can sew beautifully through anything and has some nice to have features like needle up/down, speed slider, thread cutter etc. Also the straight stitch is as close to perfect as you can get. With the knee lifter you can get some extra height and you can put really thick layers under it. The lighting is very good too. What's not to like about that? It sews thick or thin fabrics equally well also.
Leslie

------
Bernina Gal

knitstitcher
star
knitstitcher  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NC
Member since 8/17/10

Date: 8/29/11 7:47 PM

Wow. This is an interesting thread as I have been considering a sailrite. I have been saving for an industrial machine.....I've also been saving for an embroidery machine and was planning on the sailrite first, then the embroidery. I ended up getting the embroidery first because I got an amazing deal. Good thing I found this thread. I will have to research the sailrite again and check into the Juki. Where can I find that thread aguywhosews wrote?? And I know nothing about juki machines. I'll have to look into this machine.

------
Lorri
Bernina Artista 730,Babylock Journey, Babylock Evolution, Singer 201-2

dukaqwn

dukaqwn  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MS USA
Member since 2/12/09

Date: 8/30/11 9:01 AM

Thanks everyone. I did read that thread and his comments about his Juki, and I also private messaged him. After a brief message with Brian, my thoughts are that there may have been more than just the machine itself, and I am glad he has the one he feels more comfortable with. Then, after discussing it with my dealer, who is very knowledgeable about both machines and their capabilities, I decided on the Sailrite. My dealer is usually very pro Janome; that is the main brand he carries. After hearing my needs, he said (in capital letters) that he HIGHLY recommends the SailRite. Since I am not in a position to try them both out, and the SailRite does have a 30 day money back guarantee, I am comfortable with this decision. I have also studied the videos to the SailRite time and time again AND studied the SailRite forums, facebook page with customer projects. Brian's story is about the only one I've read of dissatisfaction. Therefore, I just have to give it a try.

------

dukaqwn

dukaqwn  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MS USA
Member since 2/12/09

In reply to dukaqwn

Date: 8/30/11 9:45 AM

However, I did forget to mention that I have one, just one, question that my dealer may not have taken into consideration and I didn't think to ask. That is the amount of presser foot lift on the Janome 1600. I had narrowed my choices down to these 2 machines. The SailRite has a 3/8" lift. The Janome's seems like a higher lift than that from the pictures, but I cannot find any specifics anywhere. Does anyone here know? I have read the reviews of the Janome, and I was impressed, but gave up when the dealer told me he thought that the SailRite would be better for my handbags.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Finally made a decision

Merchants on PR
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Online Sewing Classes
Put it on the Bias
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Put it on the Bias

Decades of Style 4002
photo
Review by Tea and Cr... on 9/20/10
Read Review

Dixie DIY Ballet Dress
Dixie DIY Ballet Dress

Details
Price: $4.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Megan Nielsen Cascade Skirt Digital Pattern
Megan Nielsen Cascade Skirt Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Deer&Doe Veste Pavot Veste Pavot
photo
Review by punkmik on 3/5/13
Read Review

Favorite Things The Nappies Pattern
Favorite Things The Nappies Pattern

Details
Price: $14.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Pants Fitting DVD
Pants Fitting DVD

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Kwik Sew 3247 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3247 Pattern

Details
Price: $10.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Class Picnic Blouse & Shorts Pattern ( Size 6m-4 )
Oliver + S Class Picnic Blouse & Shorts Pattern ( Size 6m-4 )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN