Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Contest Discussions > Costume Contest - Official Thread ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Costume Contest - Official Thread
September 2011
Gelbean
starstarstar
Gelbean
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 2/17/08
Login to reply to this post

Date: 8/31/11 6:21 AM

Hello! I'll be managing the Costume Contest this year. The start date is Sept. 1st this year so I hope you have all started planning. The rules are below. If you have any questions, just let me know and I will do my best to answer them for you.

Costume Contest

Get all dressed up - - - in a costume.

- Contest will begin Sept. 1 and run until Sept. 30th. Items sewn prior to Sept. 1st cannot be entered into the contest

- Costumes do not have to be only Halloween costumes. Any costume can be entered.

- All sewing must be during September. Patterns may be previous used or first time patterns.

- You can enter as many items as you want in the contest.

- Pet costumes are also included.

- A review is required for each item which is entered in the contest. (If the item is made from the same pattern you've reviewed once, you can update that review and enter it into the contest.)

The winner will be determined by member votes.

Voting begins Oct. 2nd and ends Oct. 10th.

Suggested voting (and sewing) considerations:

- How is the quality of construction (compared to the entrant's skill level)?

- Does the fabric selected work well with the costume style?

- If it's an historical costume, is it similar to original?

- If it's a pet costume, is it comfortable for the pet?

- Is this a particularly creative costume?

- Is this idea useable by others?

First place winner will be decided by member vote.
There will also be an Random Entry prize from the completed entries.

*Rules that apply to all contests:

1. All reviews must be entered for submission by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the last day of the contest. Contest dates will be listed for each contest.

2. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, patterns may be drafted, tweaked, and muslined before the contest date, but fabric for the pieces entered may not be laid out or cut till the start date of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the contest date.

3. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome!

4. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry.

Contest Eligibility

1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the start of a contest is eligible to enter.

2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.

3. Any member who's won 1st place in a contest on Pattern Review ended in the previous 4 months is ineligible to win another contest (for that 4 month period). You would still be eligible for the Random Prize.

Enter Here
-- Edited on 9/1/11 3:47 PM --

------
Bonnie

BrightFeather
star
BrightFeather
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 3/7/08

Date: 8/31/11 12:41 PM

Awesome! I've been putting a costume project off until around now just so Bit could wear it come Halloween. She's got a bit of a Superman thing and keeps asking me for a cape. When I asked why, she got the, "silly grownup" look on her face and said, "So I can fly!" The cape morphed into, "I want a Superman outfit" which translated into Supergirl, and I've figured out how to do it for less than a commercial costume... and mine'll look better!

Gelbean
starstarstar
Gelbean
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 2/17/08

In reply to BrightFeather

Date: 8/31/11 2:32 PM

Supergirl sounds great! When I was little I had Wonder Woman Underoos. I loved pretending to be a super hero. I would spin myself silly like Wonder Woman. LOL I can't wait to see your Supergirl costume.

------
Bonnie

shanntarra
starstar
shanntarra
Expert/Couture
TX USA
Member since 3/19/09

Date: 8/31/11 3:32 PM

I've been itching to start working on a specific costume pattern. Hopefully my little model will be here in time for final photos.

------
"Costume Tech's are overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated except to those designers, actors, directors, playwrights, and other theater artists who depend on them." - The Costume Technicians Handbook

BrightFeather
star
BrightFeather
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 3/7/08

Date: 8/31/11 5:25 PM

I'm doing matching hairbows, too. I bought some Superman party favor rings, and I'm clipping the back off and I have matching blue ribbon! I actually caged the lycra/spandex months ago on ebay--1 2/3 yards for $8. Much less than the fabric store! The rest will be red broadcloth, and I bought the s-shield patches off ebay because said cape must be just like Superman's!
-- Edited on 8/31/11 5:26 PM --

raymondmom
star
raymondmom
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 9/21/09

Date: 8/31/11 7:41 PM

I will be doing pirates. My son and I will be going to the Tall Ships Festival and we have tickets to be onboard during the cannon fire.

BTW, you know your stash is too large when the first tub you randomly open has fabric appropriate for a pirate shirt, breeches, vest and headscarf. And you also have enough silk for a complete colonial woman's outfit in muted greens AND enough blue linen for another complete costume, PLUS period appropriate red wool for a cape!

------
Joanne

Gelbean
starstarstar
Gelbean
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 2/17/08

In reply to raymondmom

Date: 8/31/11 9:20 PM

Well, it's great that you don't need to go shopping for fabric for your costumes. It's always nice to be able to shop your stash.

------
Bonnie

Saya
star
Saya
Advanced Beginner
NETHERLANDS
Member since 7/18/08

Date: 9/1/11 1:00 AM

I have just bought fabric for this medieval style dress that I wanted to make when I take some days off later this month. I might as well join the contest as some extra 'shall finish this dress this month' help.

Aroura
starstarstar
Aroura
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 7/30/09

Date: 9/1/11 2:28 AM

Lots of fun ideas already. Supergirl! Lots of Medieval costumes, I love those.
My DD wants to be Tinkerbelle this year. A difficult costume to make without looking trashy. I have some ideas though. I have a fairy pattern, I think I can just make a few alterations, and come "close enough". I don't think I can do a very realistic Tinkerbelle on a 4 year old and still have her be decently covered. Or on anyone of any age, really.
So, this will be my first time working with costume satin and also with tulle. Lots more to learn!
I love costumes, can't wait to see what everyone creates.

------
Sewing is more than my hobby, it is my art.
My new Blog: http://itssewcreative.blogspot.com/

auntie bellums
auntie bellums
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 5/1/05

Date: 9/1/11 3:20 AM

I'm playing, just don't know what I'm making yet. I know it will be a "couples" pattern. DD and her BFF need something fun.

------
It's not your mamma's sewing.....It's your great grandmamma's

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Contest Discussions >> Costume Contest - Official Thread

Merchants on PR
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Put it on the Bias
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Put it on the Bias

Online Sewing Classes
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Simplicity 9782 baby layette
photo
Review by mymehigan on 1/10/10
Read Review

Simplicity 2984 Pattern( Size ONE SIZE )
Simplicity 2984 Pattern( Size ONE SIZE )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2685 Pattern( Size OneSize )
Simplicity 2685 Pattern( Size OneSize )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2659
photo
Review by josie e on 11/4/09
Read Review

Megan Nielsen Virginia Leggings Digital Pattern
Megan Nielsen Virginia Leggings Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Cutie Pie Ruffle Pants, Shorts and Capris Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )
Peek-A Boo Cutie Pie Ruffle Pants, Shorts and Capris Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

You Sew Girl A-Line Skirt Pattern
You Sew Girl A-Line Skirt Pattern

Details
Price: $18.15
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewing Workshop Alex & Olive Tops
Sewing Workshop Alex & Olive Tops

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN