SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fitting Woes > Knock knee and/or full inner thigh alteration ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Knock knee and/or full inner thigh alteration
Which method is best?
Elaine Dougan
star
Elaine Dougan  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 1/24/07
Send Message

Date: 9/3/11 9:22 PM

PFRP suggest widening the inner leg from the crotch to the ankle. This will make the leg wider, especially at the knee.
Liechty, Rasband etc. in Fitting and Pattern A Multi- Method Approach suggest lengthening the inner leg and shortening the outer leg. Sandra Betzina also suggests this method. This causes the leg to angle toward the side seam.
Singer The Perfect Fit suggests cutting the leg apart at the knee and sliding the lower section toward the inseam then blending the seams. The side seam is blended from the hip to the hem. This method also widens the leg. Another person, I can't remember her name, suggests the same method but blends the side seam from the hip to the knee; not the hem. This keeps the leg from getting wider.
I do not have knock knees, but my inner thighs touch from the crotch almost to the knee. I would like to know which method you think is the most effective to deal with this . If you could give the reason why you prefer one method over another, that would be vey much appreciated.

------
Elaine

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

Date: 9/4/11 2:09 AM

Unfortunately I can't help but bump this post up: I have the same anatomy inner-thigh-wise and am curious on what PR sisters think which alteration works best. Thanks a lot in advance!
-- Edited on 9/4/11 2:28 AM --

------
Happy Sewing!

rag doll
star
rag doll  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/31/06
Send Message

In reply to Elaine Dougan

Date: 9/4/11 7:09 AM

Watching the webcast from the girl at Silhouette patterns she says that the only place you need to make wider for a full inner thigh/ thigh is on the outside seam of the pants - directly opposite? Not sure about this as I haven't tried it. I also have this problem and will be interested to see what others do successfully.

------
Brother QC1000, Brother PQ1500, Bernina Virtuosa 160, Pfaff (old), Babylock BLCS, Bernette 1100D, Bernette 334DS

Elaine Dougan
star
Advanced Beginner
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 1/24/07
Send Message

Date: 9/4/11 11:43 AM

http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com/2001/03/alterations-x-wrinkles-wedge.html

I found this post by Debbie Cook. It may be helpful.

------
Elaine

Debbie Cook
starstarstarstar
Debbie Cook
USA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 9/4/11 12:01 PM

This post is probably more helpful as it compares some of the various methods.

------
--
"I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch." Gilda Radner
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com

Elaine Dougan
star
Advanced Beginner
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 1/24/07
Send Message

In reply to Debbie Cook

Date: 9/4/11 12:08 PM

Thanks, Debbie. Did you use a combination of the Minott and Fast Fit methods? Did you cut and move the bottom of the leg and lengthen the inner leg as well? I thought from looking at your diagram that you just used the Fast Fit with the wedge at the inner thigh. Fast Fit shows shortening the outer leg and lengthening the inner leg but just lengthening the inner leg seems to work just as well. Am I not understanding something?

------
Elaine

Debbie Cook
starstarstarstar
Debbie Cook
USA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 9/4/11 1:17 PM

The post on Fast Fit was before the Minott Method. I prefer Minott because not only is it faster, it's more accurate. The pattern is shifted inward where I need it, the grain remains unchanged, and the hem circumference stays the same.

You can't just lengthen the inseam w/o some sort of correction to the grain/hem.

------
--
"I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch." Gilda Radner
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

In reply to Debbie Cook

Date: 9/4/11 2:26 PM

Debbie, I'd be so grateful for further instructions: Looking at the pics on your blog (many thanks for posting this!!), I don't quite understand the difference between Minott and Singer. It may be due to the fact that I can't magnify the pics and so everything is rather small. On the Singer pic, isn't the lower leg part shifted inwards as well? And the new side seam is also drawn from the 'original' point of the upper leg part down to the 'new' (= inwards shifted) outer point of the hem?
In your opinion and/or experience: What if the thighs are not just full on the inner part but 'full' in all 'directions'? Wouldn't the shift inwards pronounce full outer thighs? This could be more of a style than a fitting issue or no problem at all and I am just thinking to hard on this fitting problem ...
Many thanks in advance!

------
Happy Sewing!

Dotmoll
Dotmoll
Advanced Beginner
JAPAN
Member since 8/27/07
Send Message

Date: 9/4/11 6:28 PM

Hi GBK,
I have knock knees AND generally heavy thighs, and I definitely prefer to adjust the inseam. My reasoning is that I want as smooth a line as possible on the sideseam.

Sometimes it is enough for me to draw a straight line from crotch to knee, which usually adds width at the upper thigh level.

It's worth checking your actual knee height too. I have long thighs and short shins, and moving any knee shaping down a bit gives me more room in the thigh.

Elaine Dougan
star
Advanced Beginner
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 1/24/07
Send Message

In reply to Debbie Cook

Date: 9/4/11 7:32 PM

Another question, Debbie. When you shift the bottom of the leg over half an inch, do you also add the extra half an inch to the inner leg on the back as Minott suggests? Won't that throw the grainline off? Do you change the grainline or just leave it? Is the extra half an inch just needed for big thighs or is it needed for thighs that touch like mine? My thighs measure four and a half inches smaller than the pattern.

------
Elaine

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Knock knee and/or full inner thigh alteration

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Vogue Patterns 8795

photo
by: Sew4Fun

Review
Sew Liberated Flora Tunic and Twirly Skirt

Sew Liberated Flora Tunic and Twirly Skirt

Buy Now
BIRTH OF A BUSTIER - A CD Book by Kenneth King

BIRTH OF A BUSTIER - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.