SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > 1935 Singer Model 15 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
1935 Singer Model 15
relliotts
relliotts
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 8/30/11
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 12:53 PM

Hello! I'm new to the forums, and was hoping someone could help me out. I used to sew quite a bit when I was younger, and recently became interested in sewing again. I just picked up a gorgeous old Singer from the original owner's son. It works like a dream, but having used mostly modern machines, and because it's been so many years since I've sewn anything, I'd like to try to find the manual before I start on any projects. After emailing Singer with the serial number, we were told it was a Model 15 manufactured in New Jersey on March 12, 1935. My problem is, I can't find a manual that is specific to a Model 15. They're all for 15-91, 15-90, etc. I'm not sure which manual to download. I was hoping someone here might be able to help me. I'll include a couple photos of the machine, although they're cell phone photos so not great quality.

Sewing Machine 1

Sewing machine 2

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to getting started on some projects
-- Edited on 9/7/11 1:26 PM --

------
http://reddthreads.wordpress.com/

Singer 15-86
Bernina Artista 200E
Brother 1034D

homewerk
star
homewerk  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Colorado USA
Member since 10/2/07
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 1:57 PM

I have this same machine (my Grandmother's), a 15-91, manufactured in 1935 in NJ. The Yahoo group "Vintage Singers" has a wealth of collective knowledge and free copies of many Singer user manuals. Just Google on the group name to get the link. Your machine looks lovely. I need to do some work on mine.

------
Becky (I'm homewerk on Pinterest too!)
Babylock Elizabeth, Pfaff 2030, Brother 1034D Serger, Babylock Coverstitch, Grandmother's 1931 Singer 15-91, 1956, Singer Slant-O-Matic 401A, 1954 Elna Supermatic, pink Atlas Supermatic, bernina 730
I love my toys!

relliotts
relliotts
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 8/30/11
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 4:08 PM

Thanks! I didn't think it was a 15-91, as it does have a belt. I thought the 15-91 didn't have a belt driven motor?

I'll definitely check out the vintage Singer group, thanks!

------

Singer 15-86
Bernina Artista 200E
Brother 1034D

lkmbpk
lkmbpk
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 12/28/09
Send Message

In reply to relliotts

Date: 9/7/11 4:34 PM

It looks like a 15-90 from the picture. I don't think there's much difference between the two models other than belt vs gear driven, but the yahoo group could tell you for sure. Here's a link from Ismacs.net to the 15-91 manual. It took a while to download, but I have a slow internet connection.

------
Doo-doo-DOO-doo, Doo-doo-DOO-doo......
You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Internet!

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/5/08
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 6:55 PM

I could only see the first picture, the second said "this picture is private".

Its a lovely machine and cabinet! The only diff between 15-91 and 15-90 is gear vs belt drive. From the standpoint of operating the machines, they are identical. I have found a free 15-90 manual download online but NOT a 15-91....go figure. For the most part, any manual for a 15 machine will work for you as far as using the machine.

I am a proud and happy 15-91 owner so let me know if you have any questions. They are fantastic machines, either model. Enjoy!

-- Edited on 9/7/11 6:58 PM --

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

relliotts
relliotts
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 8/30/11
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 7:00 PM

Whoops, fixed that second picture - thanks!

Thanks everyone! I'm starting on my first project on this machine - as well as first sewing project in general in about 15 years - this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes! :-)

-- Edited on 9/7/11 7:01 PM --

------

Singer 15-86
Bernina Artista 200E
Brother 1034D

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 7:35 PM

I think this is a 15-86 - definitely not a -90 or -91. It uses a different bobbin case, its needle is inserted differently and it threads differently than a -91. It has no reverse, nor can the feed dogs be dropped. I have a 15-96 which is similar, except for the bobbin winder.

If you cannot find a 15-86 manual online, try a 15-96, or even a 15-30. A manual for a 15-88/89/90/91 will only confuse you, since the threading is so different.

Jennifer in Calgary

fabb
fabb
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 10/27/09
Send Message

In reply to Jennifer Hill

Date: 9/7/11 7:46 PM

How can you tell the difference?

fabb
fabb
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 10/27/09
Send Message

In reply to relliotts

Date: 9/7/11 7:47 PM

I think your bed decal is an RAF...so called because it looks a bit like an airplane. Very nice find. Enjoy your machine.

JillyBe
starstarstar
JillyBe
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/20/10
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 9:07 PM

Yup - listen to Jennifer! I'm not knowledgeable about the details of the non- 90 & 91's, but that machine is neither.

What I'm pretty sure of though, is that your lovely bench is from the coveted (by some of us) #42 deco Singer cabinet. The cabinets seem to be easier to find than the benches, so I would call that a very nice find!

------
http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com/
a blog about creativity, sewing, vintage sewing machines, and...... life :)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> 1935 Singer Model 15

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

StyleArc Debra Zebra Top

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Making Patterns from Existing Garments - A CD book by Kenneth King

Making Patterns from Existing Garments - A CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Jamie Christina Lark Paper Pattern

Jamie Christina Lark Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.