SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > 1935 Singer Model 15 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
1935 Singer Model 15
relliotts
relliotts
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 8/30/11
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 12:53 PM

Hello! I'm new to the forums, and was hoping someone could help me out. I used to sew quite a bit when I was younger, and recently became interested in sewing again. I just picked up a gorgeous old Singer from the original owner's son. It works like a dream, but having used mostly modern machines, and because it's been so many years since I've sewn anything, I'd like to try to find the manual before I start on any projects. After emailing Singer with the serial number, we were told it was a Model 15 manufactured in New Jersey on March 12, 1935. My problem is, I can't find a manual that is specific to a Model 15. They're all for 15-91, 15-90, etc. I'm not sure which manual to download. I was hoping someone here might be able to help me. I'll include a couple photos of the machine, although they're cell phone photos so not great quality.

Sewing Machine 1

Sewing machine 2

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to getting started on some projects
-- Edited on 9/7/11 1:26 PM --

------
http://reddthreads.wordpress.com/

Singer 15-86
Bernina Artista 200E
Brother 1034D

homewerk
star
homewerk  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/2/07
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 1:57 PM

I have this same machine (my Grandmother's), a 15-91, manufactured in 1935 in NJ. The Yahoo group "Vintage Singers" has a wealth of collective knowledge and free copies of many Singer user manuals. Just Google on the group name to get the link. Your machine looks lovely. I need to do some work on mine.

------
Becky (I'm homewerk on Pinterest too!)
1969 Bernina Record 730, Babylock Elizabeth, Brother 1034D Serger, Babylock Coverstitch, Grandmother's 1931 Singer 15-
91, 1956 Singer 401a Slant-O-Matic, 1954 Elna Supermatic,
pink Atlas Supermatic.

relliotts
relliotts
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 8/30/11
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 4:08 PM

Thanks! I didn't think it was a 15-91, as it does have a belt. I thought the 15-91 didn't have a belt driven motor?

I'll definitely check out the vintage Singer group, thanks!

------

Singer 15-86
Bernina Artista 200E
Brother 1034D

lkmbpk
lkmbpk
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 12/28/09
Send Message

In reply to relliotts

Date: 9/7/11 4:34 PM

It looks like a 15-90 from the picture. I don't think there's much difference between the two models other than belt vs gear driven, but the yahoo group could tell you for sure. Here's a link from Ismacs.net to the 15-91 manual. It took a while to download, but I have a slow internet connection.

------
Doo-doo-DOO-doo, Doo-doo-DOO-doo......
You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Internet!

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/5/08
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 6:55 PM

I could only see the first picture, the second said "this picture is private".

Its a lovely machine and cabinet! The only diff between 15-91 and 15-90 is gear vs belt drive. From the standpoint of operating the machines, they are identical. I have found a free 15-90 manual download online but NOT a 15-91....go figure. For the most part, any manual for a 15 machine will work for you as far as using the machine.

I am a proud and happy 15-91 owner so let me know if you have any questions. They are fantastic machines, either model. Enjoy!

-- Edited on 9/7/11 6:58 PM --

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

relliotts
relliotts
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 8/30/11
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 7:00 PM

Whoops, fixed that second picture - thanks!

Thanks everyone! I'm starting on my first project on this machine - as well as first sewing project in general in about 15 years - this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes! :-)

-- Edited on 9/7/11 7:01 PM --

------

Singer 15-86
Bernina Artista 200E
Brother 1034D

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 7:35 PM

I think this is a 15-86 - definitely not a -90 or -91. It uses a different bobbin case, its needle is inserted differently and it threads differently than a -91. It has no reverse, nor can the feed dogs be dropped. I have a 15-96 which is similar, except for the bobbin winder.

If you cannot find a 15-86 manual online, try a 15-96, or even a 15-30. A manual for a 15-88/89/90/91 will only confuse you, since the threading is so different.

Jennifer in Calgary

fabb
fabb
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 10/27/09
Send Message

In reply to Jennifer Hill

Date: 9/7/11 7:46 PM

How can you tell the difference?

fabb
fabb
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 10/27/09
Send Message

In reply to relliotts

Date: 9/7/11 7:47 PM

I think your bed decal is an RAF...so called because it looks a bit like an airplane. Very nice find. Enjoy your machine.

JillyBe
starstarstar
JillyBe
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/20/10
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 9:07 PM

Yup - listen to Jennifer! I'm not knowledgeable about the details of the non- 90 & 91's, but that machine is neither.

What I'm pretty sure of though, is that your lovely bench is from the coveted (by some of us) #42 deco Singer cabinet. The cabinets seem to be easier to find than the benches, so I would call that a very nice find!

------
http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com/
a blog about creativity, sewing, vintage sewing machines, and...... life :)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> 1935 Singer Model 15

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Simplicity 3987

photo
by: SusanStitc...

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Travel Trio Three

Christine Jonson Travel Trio Three

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.