SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Help please. ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help please.
need a name for my new sewing business
AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Subject: Help please. Updated: I finally am moving forward on this Date: 9/17/11 1:18 PM

Help me figure out a name for my new business adventure.
I am thinking of starting a small business adventure. I want to help women alter their patterns.
I attended a workshop in Dallas last month and learned a whole lot about altering patterns. This has been something I have worked at for many years and really like doing. This workshop filled in the missing pieces. Now that I am retired I have the time so think I should at least give it a try.
Granted there isn’t going to be any money in this business, but I will be doing something I really like to do. Also how much do you think I should charge? Keep in mind I live in a Midwestern city of about 160,000 where people tend to want cheap. We do have 2 Hancocks and 1 JoAnns so there is some interest in sewing here.
So give me some ideas about a name for my new business….please.

-- Edited on 3/8/12 1:09 PM --

------
Ada

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

In reply to AdaH

Date: 9/17/11 2:14 PM

Make it Fit Pattern Alterations

Altered by Ada, but may be taken for bridal.

As far as charging goes, I would be willing to pay an hourly fee of upwards of $30.00 per hour to come out with patterns that will fit and become tnt.

I think an hourly fee, plus an additional fee for test garments if you make them for me would be fair and cover your costs and skill.

If the final pattern was drawn out on a heavy paper I would pay for that too.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to AdaH

Date: 9/17/11 2:58 PM

I keep coming up with things with my Great Grandma's name...
(her maiden name was Ida Knough ).
Ada is in the Know ...corny I know ......

Let's see here about ...... Sew it Fits You ...pattern alterations

I agree with Michelle I would think you should charge a fee expecially if it is something complex like a suit alteration pattern where there are lots & lots of pieces.

Congrats on a great idea!

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..

rmusic1
star
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

Date: 9/17/11 3:07 PM

fits sew good (can you tell I like puns?).

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to AdaH

Date: 9/17/11 3:41 PM

Fitting Pieces. Your Best Fitting Pattern
Fitting Times
Altered State, Patterns to Fit You

I like Flexible Fit and Personal Fit but am concerned that anything with Fit in it my cause someone to think of exercise and fitness.

There are a huge number of people who want someone to sew or alter for them cheaply or at no charge. Be sure that there is no misunderstanding in your venture name that will lead anyone to believe that you are available for services that you don't want to perform. You'll have to have a name or a card that makes it clear that you are altering patterns, not clothing

It would be reasonable for your charges to be in line with other personal services. Factor in your level of experience and the need or lack thereof of space and special equipment. Also look into pricing of other sewing related classes and services.

Best wishes, AdaH.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

Date: 9/17/11 8:30 PM

Custom Pattern Alterations

Or some such use of a word like custom to let people know it is individual and takes some effort and consideration.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

In reply to Sewliz

Date: 9/18/11 11:55 AM

Liz, did you ever make up any of the Onion patterns?

------
Ada

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

In reply to AdaH

Date: 9/18/11 12:58 PM

Quote: AdaH
Keep in mind I live in a Midwestern city of about 160,000 where people tend to want cheap. We do have 2 Hancocks and 1 JoAnns so there is some interest in sewing here.

You might look into teaching classes through local sewing or quilting stores (even JoAnn or Michaels, which both offer classes and need local instructors). The quilt shop where I bought my sewing machine also offers classes in garment construction, so you might find more outlets than you thought to teach this.

Good luck!

------
~Gem in the prairie

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/8/12 1:07 PM

I am bumping this thread up because I wanted all of you who offered sugestions to know that I have finally gotten beyond my fear of failure and am almost ready to start my little business.
I used Kitty's sugestions and called my business
Sew it Fits by Ada
Pattern Alterations
A friend of my son's is a graphic designer and she is almost done with my business card. No expense there. ( I plan to make a small cosmetic bag for her)
Come to find out you can get business cards printed really cheap.
Around $10, very little expene there.
I already own all the rullers and physical equipments I will need to start up. Paper, marklers and tape is about it.
I am still working on exactly what services I will offer.
Please feel free to throw out some ideas on this part.

I still have many doubts if this business venture is going to get off the ground, but I don't have much to lose. A friend pointed out that most of the people who would want my service will know a great deal less than I do. That is my biggest worry, I can do a good job of helping people get a good fitting pattern but I am by no means an expert.
Of course there is also the fear that no one will call for my services, however if I never try I will never know will I.

------
Ada

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to AdaH

Date: 3/8/12 2:44 PM

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Help please.

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Butterick 5260

photo
by: marec

Review
Butterick 4790

photo
by: thecurious...

Review

Pattern

Sewing Workshop Salsa Blouse Pattern

Sewing Workshop Salsa Blouse Pattern

Buy Now
ZIPPERS - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

ZIPPERS - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.