SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fabrics and more... > On the Hunt for Slinky Again! ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
On the Hunt for Slinky Again!
Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 9/24/11 10:06 AM

I have been searching for good pant weight black slinky. I finally orderd some from Spandex World after being assured it was heavy enough for pants. I got the slinky yesterday and if I wanted everyone to see if my underwear were print or not, the slinky is heavy enough.But it is NOT heavy enough!!! They said it was 8.8oz. So I am wondering WHAT WEIGHT is considered heavy? I want some for pants. Just plain solid black-maybe one other dark color...Anyone?

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 9/24/11 11:54 AM

I wear a knit pant liner with slinky pants. It smooths the lumps and bumps, and panty lines, and also prevents see through.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos

Date: 9/24/11 12:09 PM

MacPhee Workshop is one place to get expert advice about Slinky.

Linda has used it for years, has both patterns and kits you can buy and should be able to tell you over the phone about what weight you want for pants.
-- Edited on 9/24/11 12:10 PM --

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

Patti B
starstarstarstar
Patti B  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 9/29/02
Send Message

Date: 9/24/11 12:28 PM

I'll echo MichelleT on the recommendation for MacPhee. She knows slinky and carries very nice quality acetate slinky. Also SewKeysE in Florida carries good slinky. I have some el cheapo black slinky that is very opaque -- go figure.

------
Patti

R-r-r-ripping my way to fitting success

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 10/9/11 2:10 AM

OK, I looked at McPfees. I'm sorry, but $19 per yard of slinky seems excessive to me. I know I want fairly heavy stuff and can see maybe $10 a yard but almost $20? That would be almost $40 for a pair of pants that I AM MAKING! Sorry but I am too cheap. Anyone else got any ideas for some heavier slinky? Plus the see-through slinky I got is listed at 8.8oz. What is heavy weight supposed to weigh?
HELP!
BTW, I am starting to get desperate so a drapy double knit would work too.

kittykate
star
kittykate
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 12/18/02
Send Message

Date: 10/9/11 11:03 AM

I've bought the best quality slinky from Anns Fabric Hamilton They used to take a booth at the Toronto sewing show but have stopped. They would have the pantweight you're looking for. Price, probably less than McPhee but not as thrifty as you're wishing.

sewtea
sewtea
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 8/25/05
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos

Date: 10/9/11 11:20 AM

Denver Fabrics this has better pricing and I am not affiliated. I don't know the answer for what weight fabric for pants, but if all else fails make a liner with tricot and chose the fabric you like. What I do understand about slinky is the one with acetate is the better "quality" over slinky that is mostly polyester.

Patti B
starstarstarstar
Patti B  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 9/29/02
Send Message

Date: 10/9/11 12:35 PM

If the slinky on Denver Fabrics website is acetate as it states, it would be worth an order to see. Then you can tell us if it's the 'good stuff.' Wonder if they have a slinky sample pkg? This is a fabric that it really helps to feel.

------
Patti

R-r-r-ripping my way to fitting success

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos

Date: 10/9/11 1:29 PM

Mrs.Moos,

Thanks for asking this question. The style of slinky pant that I have been wearing is no longer available and I've just darn near worn all the slinks out of them. It's not just that the fabric is so great for travel, it's really versatile. I've seen it worn brilliantly for casual as well as dressy. And I really appreciate that it doesn't add any bulk to my figure. I hadn't even thought about asking where to find the fabric So, now, thanks to your question, I can refresh my slinky pants collection. I prefer a wide waistband with the slinky and thought I would try a one piece pant (muslin in the cheap stuff first) and see how it goes.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 10/9/11 2:24 PM

The solid black slinky I am searching for is poly/lycra at Denver. I have sent an email to inquire about the weight. I just don't understand why I am having such a hard time finding this heavier stuff. Has Coldwater Creek cornered the market on it? I guess it doesn't help that I have a real hard time paying over $10 a yard for anything. I wish I could find some more of this "mini crepe textured" knit stuff I found at Walmart years ago. I have a couple of pairs of longish capri/gaucho things that wear like iron, never wrinkle, wash like a dream and feel nice. The only catch was that the stretch was going lengthwise instead of crosswise but I just cut accordingly. and it was $1.50 a yard.I bought all they had-and it wasn't much...sniff. I still have enough for 1 pair left. I feel like I should send swatches out to some companies so they can identify it!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> On the Hunt for Slinky Again!

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Contest 0000

photo
by: nosila

Review
Sewing Workshop Balboa Shirt & Topper

Sewing Workshop Balboa Shirt & Topper

Buy Now
Veronica Pocketbook

Veronica Pocketbook

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.