SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > Help adjusting sloper after double mastectomy ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help adjusting sloper after double mastectomy
fluff

fluff
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 4/4/04
Send Message

Date: 9/24/11 10:07 AM

Last year, I finally took a class and made a bodice sloper that fit my then D-cup bust. This year, I had a double mastectomy and, obviously, my sloper no longer fits. Can anyone give me some instructions on removing that big bust dart? I think that I don't want to shift the dart somewhere else on the sloper, because I don't need the fullness anywhere else. Also, I think I'll be sewing mainly soft, jersey-type knits so I think I don't need any type of dart as a style element. Many thanks in advance.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to fluff
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/24/11 10:51 AM

I can't help you with this question but I wanted to wish you the best with your recovery.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 9/24/11 10:58 AM

Can you redraft the front piece with a small bust adjustment or reverse the fba? Here's a link to hungry zombie couture's blog showing her method for eliminating extra fabric in the bust dart.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to fluff

Date: 9/24/11 12:41 PM

Fluff, I hope your recovery has been a smooth one. What "size" are you now? Do you use inserts? I also think an SBA would probably help you get rid of the large dart.

fluff

fluff
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 4/4/04
Send Message

Date: 9/24/11 5:28 PM

Hi to all and thank you for your advice and good wishes. I guess I'd say that I now measure a AA cup and I don't wear inserts, at least not yet. I was thinking that the SBA might work, but I was hoping that there might be an easier method that I didn't know about (always looking for the lazy way out!).

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to fluff

Date: 9/24/11 7:07 PM

Maybe you shouldn't really do anything with the sloper until you have decided what size bra cup you want to "be". Are you going to have reconstructive surgery? My sister-in-law, uses shoulder pads as bra inserts. She said they are so much more comfortable than the actual inserts.

fluff

fluff
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 4/4/04
Send Message

Date: 9/24/11 9:30 PM

That's an interesting tip. No, I'm not having reconstruction. So far, not using inserts has worked okay for me, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility, particularly for dress-up occasions.

Clareew
star
Clareew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

Date: 9/25/11 1:02 PM

When I a single mastectomy I needed something to even me up. Whilst things were still sore I used a swimming insert for posh occasions, this was made of foam and very light.

I have gone from a FF to and A/B and really appreciate being able to run for a bus if necessary without giving myself a black eye.

Best wished and good luck with your recovery.

------
Clare

Machines: Juki F600, Juki 654 serger, Bernina 550 for art work, Janome Coverpro 1000cp barely used
A Singer Featherweight Centennial and an old Necci in the loft waiting for TLC

http://art-by-clare.blogspot.co.uk/

fluff

fluff
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 4/4/04
Send Message

Date: 9/25/11 2:28 PM

Thanks, Clare--you gave me my laugh for the day!

Catrinka
Catrinka  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/27/10
Send Message

Date: 9/25/11 2:56 PM

Hi Fluff, I had a double mastectomy without reconstruction 3 yrs ago. ( 3 yrs cancer free, YEAH) You may want to hang on to your sloper. Breast prosthesis' go all the way up to DD cups, which I have. Once you have healed enough you may find you like the larger size. I first tried a smaller size but everything seemed out of proportion for my body. HOPE YOU HEAL WELL AND HAVE NO RECURRANCE
PS: I tend to run around without a bra unless I go out. I even enjoyed being hairless for awhile, so easy to shampoo and style, although my head got cold.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Help adjusting sloper after double mastectomy

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

New Look 6103

photo
by: carolinasc...

Review
Burda 7174

photo
by: Lenarciak

Review
Christine Jonson Easy Coat

Christine Jonson Easy Coat

Buy Now
Petite Plus 501 Pattern

Petite Plus 501 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.