SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Club BMV ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Club BMV
Is it worth it
MamaSewing
star
MamaSewing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/21/05
Send Message

Date: 9/26/11 9:53 AM

I saw that there is a club BMV sale on the patterns this week - and a sale on the membership. It is reduced to $9.99.
I have been wondering if it worth buying a membership when you live close enough to fabric stores to buy patterns at their sales? Why or why not?

I don't know why I am tempted to join other than I like to be part of a group maybe?

Karen31
star
Karen31  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/25/09
Send Message

Date: 9/26/11 10:47 AM

I thought it was at first but only took advantage once or twice, like when Vogues were 3.99 plus another 10% off (they don't always do the extra discount. But I don't think the discount off magazine sub is that great a deal since it went up SO much (I'm looking at a subscription card from the magazine from earlier last year - about a $10 increase for 6 issues!). With shipping, even if the 10% is offered, it's still cheaper for me to just buy them at Joann's when on sale.... but - I have multiple J stores easily accessible and usually have the new patterns in. It seems to be a great value for those who don't have this kind of access to those sales or whose schedules preclude them from getting into the sales. Somehow even with work and school and other stuff I can find a way to get there and spend money......

------
Karen

MamaSewing
star
MamaSewing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/21/05
Send Message

Date: 9/26/11 11:09 AM

Thanks, that is just what I was thinking - I will save my $10 and use it for something else!

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 9/26/11 1:00 PM

Shipping is over $1 per pattern on average, and they don't offer better deals than local stores, so I wouldn't do it.

sewbehind
star
sewbehind
Beginner
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/30/05
Send Message

Date: 9/28/11 11:06 AM

Our main fabric chain (Fabricland, Canada) has recently stopped giving their regular pattern sales. The best that we can do for now is 50% off of some patterns on special sales or 25% off as a Fabricland member offer on an everyday basis.
I did join with this sale and although shipping costs are substantial, there are savings to be had. You do not have to be a member to take part in the sales, however with my first order, I am almost 50% of the way there. If I choose to renew my Vogue patterns magazine, I could save more there.
We do not have the 'really good' pattern sales that you enjoy in the USA, so for me I think it will be worth it.
Helen

unfinishedprojects
starstar
unfinishedprojects  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alberta Canada
Member since 8/26/07
Send Message

Date: 9/28/11 11:41 AM

Our pattern sale prices at the stores in Canada are never as low as BMV, so the shipping cost isn't a big deal. Eg. Vogue patterns- $5.99 at Fabricland; $3.50 at BMV. Our dollars are on par right now, too.

I joined club BMV when Fabricland got rid of the self serve pattern section and have spent waaaay more than I ever did at the in store store sales.

sewbehind
star
sewbehind
Beginner
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/30/05
Send Message

In reply to unfinishedprojects

Date: 9/28/11 4:17 PM

Are you still getting those Vogues at $5.99 at Fabricland? In Ontario, they have temporarily or permanently stopped those kinds of sales. Our Vogues were $6.99 and the Butterick's were $3.99 on sale.
For Canadians, BMV is a good deal!
Helen

Lalaland
Lalaland  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 9/29/11 7:00 AM

I realized , after using BMV for a year, that I really liked to see the large pattern catalogue image and get the opportunity to pull the physical pattern and read the back at the store before I buy.

I don't really think it's such a deal to have BMV, just a convienence.

While I'm talking patterns; don't you hate it that the pattern companies have stopped showing yardage in the store catalogues? You have to pull the pattern to read yardage.

------
Lalaland

unfinishedprojects
starstar
unfinishedprojects  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alberta Canada
Member since 8/26/07
Send Message

In reply to sewbehind

Date: 9/29/11 10:46 AM

Quote: sewbehind
Are you still getting those Vogues at $5.99 at Fabricland? In Ontario, they have temporarily or permanently stopped those kinds of sales. Our Vogues were $6.99 and the Butterick's were $3.99 on sale.

For Canadians, BMV is a good deal!

Helen

There do seem to be fewer pattern sales lately. There was a Simplicity/New Look sale in September ($1.99), and 50% off of Burda last weekend, but I can't remember if the BMV patterns were on sale in August? July maybe? I haven't really been paying attention since I signed up online.

When they do go on sale, they're usually $5.99/$3.49 so it looks like we get them for a little less out here.

If you want to check up on the sales on this side of the country, see Fabricland West
Nancy1955
star
Nancy1955  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 5/10/10
Send Message

Date: 2/25/12 8:08 PM

I was on the Kwik Sew website and noticed they have BMV pricing. Is this something new?

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Club BMV

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

McCall's 6282

photo
by: SewButterf...

Review

Pattern

Sewing Workshop Sandra Betzina Vest & Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Sandra Betzina Vest & Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
WhatNots

WhatNots

Buy Now
McCall's 6408

photo
by: SuzyBee

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.