SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Hemming Knits ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Hemming Knits
Plumm
Plumm
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 6/11/06
Send Message

Date: 9/28/11 2:15 PM

Does anyone have a good suggestion on hemming t-shirt knits? I like to use a double needle hem for the stretch factor, but no matter the mm length between the needles, I get a tunneled effect. If using a single needle, I sometimes get a wavy hem. I don't want to use a fusible like Steam-s-Seam because then I lose the stretch. I'd love to learn your successful techniques. Thanks!

------
Plumm

JKimes
star
JKimes  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Member since 11/4/05
Send Message

Date: 9/28/11 3:25 PM

Hi Plumm,

I've had good luck with a three-step zigzag if you like that look. I've also used the overlock stitch which looks like a flatlock.
I have an overlock/coverstitch machine so I haven't tried this, but you might put water soluble stabilizer on top when doing the twin needle to reduce tunneling and /or try a narrower twin needle (I get tunneling on lighter fabrics with the wide coverstitch as well).

Good luck!
Juliette

------
Juliette near Austin, TX
Bernina 830LE
Bernina 350PE
Babylock Evolution
ElnaPro 905DCX
BabyLock Melody

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 9/28/11 3:52 PM

The triple stretch stitch on your regular sewing machine works well. If the knit is too stretchy try using a water soluble stablizer with it.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to mastdenman

Date: 9/28/11 4:28 PM

Does anyone use the clear elastic inside all hems/necklines for stability?

Elsewhere here they mentioned a Japanese straight and bias tape for knits that can only be ordered online. I was thinking of experimenting with our version of narrow stabilizing tape, maybe without heat-setting them it might work? Anyone have success with cutting their own strips?

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

Date: 9/28/11 4:30 PM

A couple of things to try with the double needles:

Loosen the bobbin tension.

Put a stabilizer under the hem as you stitch to keep the stitch from tunneling. Tear away stabilizer or perhaps wash away stabilizer?

CMC

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

Date: 9/28/11 4:38 PM

I wore a knit shell yesterday that I skipped the hemming on entirely, and I like it like that... less bulk, and it looks fine.

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Plumm

Date: 9/28/11 7:44 PM

you could use wooly nylon thread in the bobbin and loosen the thread tension on the bobbin a bit. this work well for me.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

Tom P
star
Tom P  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 3/16/07
Send Message

In reply to skae

Date: 9/28/11 11:25 PM

What I did on the last couple of shirts was to use a double needle, but instead of messing with the bobbin tension, I just turned the bobbin over the 'wrong' way. That reduces the bobbin tension, which is really what you need. I liked the way it came out.

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

In reply to Plumm

Date: 9/28/11 11:40 PM

Use 1/4" Wash Away Wonder Tape as your stabilizer. It will serve two purposes: (1) stabilize your hemming area to help prevent tunneling and (2) hold your hem in place so you won't have to pin it.

Don't use a twin needle bigger than 3.0 mm. A 2.0 mm is ideal.

Loosen the tension in your bobbin and use wooly nylon (wound on the bobbin by hand) to give you the built in stretch you need in a hem.

I have to admit, I no longer use a twin needle because no matter what, the hems in my interlock knit shirts always eventually popped. I now own a coverstitch machine and do all my knit hems with it. You have all the stretch in the world built in to a coverstitched hem. I'm a much happier knit sewer making my garments with a combination of an overlocker and coverstitch machine.

------
Judy

tucci4me
star
tucci4me
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/22/07
Send Message

Date: 9/29/11 0:44 AM

This article by Marcy Tilton in Threads magazine is now the only way I hem knits. Find it at the bottom of the article under "Hem a soft, crushable knit " here. Hope it works as well for you.

Ann in Calif.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Hemming Knits

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Simplicity 9843 OOP

photo
by: SheBear032...

Review
Christine Jonson Swirl Skirt & Ruffle Top

Christine Jonson Swirl Skirt & Ruffle Top

More Info
Couch Caddy

Couch Caddy

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.