SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Spaces > recomend trundle bed for sewing room ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
recomend trundle bed for sewing room
anybody have one in their room?
JeannieR
JeannieR  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 7/9/09
Send Message

Date: 9/29/11 7:44 PM

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a trundle bed for the spare bedroom.

I gave away my grandmothers furniture, it was just a space waster with a big vanity and only double size bed

I was thinking along the lines of a trundle bed that is king size when opened up.

I'm thinking I could have a cutting board to use over top of it. Have headboard and footboard at right hight and lay board on it.

somthing like that.

I thought I saw somewhere here on PR somebody got a trundle bed. I'd love to know of anybody with one and how it works out.

Any ideas all welcome.

Thank's Jeannie

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

Date: 9/29/11 8:42 PM

Had one many years ago in my sewing room. I bought one that had even posts on headboard and footboard (really brass ball finials) so I could place a hollow core door over for a work surface. Few times I had guests I just placed the door behind the bed.

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

In reply to dresscode

Date: 9/30/11 1:02 AM

Love this idea!

------
Janome 6500P, Babylock Eclipse SX, Janome Coverpro 1000, Babylock BLCS, Juki 654, Juki 735, Janome 1600PDB, Brother ULT 2002D, Babylock Spirit, Brother 770

auntie bellums
auntie bellums  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/1/05
Send Message

Date: 9/30/11 2:56 AM

We had one for years and I hate them. They are a pain to take care of. I did a happy dance when ours left.

If you are sleeping adults, don't expect them to be comfortable and if your guests have any weight on them the trundle bed is a flimsy frame and they break easily. Ours got replaced when the kids got in Jr. High because they were too heavy for the frame and it wasn't a cheap bed.

I don't know if it's common or not, but the two beds could not be pushed together to make one continuous sleeping surface, the trundle part was much shorter than the daybed.

------
It's not your mamma's sewing.....It's your great grandmamma's

Silknmore
star
Silknmore  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wisconsin USA
Member since 9/30/06
Send Message

Date: 9/30/11 8:26 AM

In our last home I had a trundle bed in my sewing room and then replaced it with a nice fouton. The trundle was easy to use and is better for sleeping but the fouton looks nicer. Either way my sewing room could turn into an extra bedroom. (After I spent some time cleaning it up).

Annette

------
Silknmore
http://fabricateandmira.wordpress.com/

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 9/30/11 8:44 AM

I got a trundle online when we down-sized, as the 2nd bedroom doubles as my sewing room and had to also fit a 6-foot desk and antique dresser. It has a low head and footboard, which looks dressier. It's like a regular twin with same size trundle under, not the daybed-type.

Only have to use it a few x a year for adult guests (like those dining rooms!) so it gives them more room as 2 singles than the futons. I have a big cushy comforter on it where the dog supervises me and I can also spread out things--I use my kitchen bar counter for cutting out.
It's also easy to shift around when I get bored with the room arrangement or change it for winter light.
-- Edited on 9/30/11 8:46 AM --

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to JeannieR

Date: 9/30/11 9:12 AM

You might want to consider a futon. Trundle beds are a PITA to unfold, then refold to a larger size. I don't believe they come any larger than a double sized bed, so a king size is out of the question. Futons, at least the one I have, is a queen size, and is very, very comfortable. DH and I have slept on it when my elderly parents came to visit and we gave them our bed. Futons just tilt back; no problems.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Scrappy Gram
Scrappy Gram
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/27/03
Send Message

In reply to JeannieR

Date: 9/30/11 9:25 AM

We are going to install one of these beds in our spare room where my longarm is.

Folds up like a Murphy bed but is much nicer and less expensive.wallbed.com

I saw a photo of one installed in someone's sewing room and told my husband that it would be perfect for us. You can make the front of the cabinet into a design wall if you need to. I have also seen a drop down table attached for a cutting table when the bed is folded up against the wall.

Deb

Sellwood sewer
Sellwood sewer
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 2/13/06
Send Message

Date: 9/30/11 3:12 PM

I have a wallbed and I recommend it! The big advantage is that you can use a really nice quality mattress so your guests will always be comfortable. And when it's not in use, it folds up out of the way. We purchased the mechanism online and then DIY'd it (well, hubby did).

SecondHandRogue
star
SecondHandRogue  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Rhode Island USA
Member since 12/28/05
Send Message

Date: 9/30/11 6:58 PM

I saw someone on the quilting board forums use the Ikea Hemnes Bed in this way, with a cutting table on top. It does turn into a king bed, and looks less treacherous than the old style trundle frames that wheeled and popped...

dark brown hemnes daybed

white hemnes daybed

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> recomend trundle bed for sewing room

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

McCall's 6280

photo
by: ChristmasH...

Review
Veronica Pocketbook

Veronica Pocketbook

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Bohemian Carpet Bag Pattern

Sew Liberated Bohemian  Carpet Bag Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Downloadable 6051

photo
by: sertyan

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.