SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Sewing clear elastic ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing clear elastic
putting it in a round neckline,, knit or woven
sewbluetiful
star
sewbluetiful
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 2/8/07
Send Message

Date: 10/1/11 11:48 AM

This may have been talked about before, but I couldn't find it,, even after searching,,,

How do you put clear elastic in a round neck,,, some elastics will 'curve", but clear elastic doesn't,,, I read that Mellisa did this on her ,, blog back in 09...

------
Mickie

http://sew-something.blogspot.com/

Pinkytoo
starstarstar
Pinkytoo
Advanced
Nevada USA
Member since 6/23/06
Send Message

In reply to sewbluetiful

Date: 10/1/11 12:22 PM

I "stick" it on with Stitch Witchery or Steam-a-Seam before sewing it so it stays in place. Works great!

------
Sewing is my therapy!

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Pinkytoo

Date: 10/1/11 12:38 PM

Sometimes that stuff coats my needles..?!

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

Date: 10/1/11 1:16 PM

For me clear elastic is hit and miss. There's some good ones out there, and some are worthless, and I can't tell which is which. I often use 1/4 or 3/8 knit elastic to finish neckline or armholes. That's what used to finish swimwear and leotard necklines. If the knit is really sheer and I think the elastic will be too heavy, I use iron on tricot interfacing cut into narrow strips and fuse it on the SA. It allows for turning without stretching out.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 1/17/10
Send Message

In reply to diane s

Date: 10/1/11 11:29 PM

I also use a soft 1/4 or 3/8 inch elastic rather than clear. I just serge it on, turn and topstitch with a straight stitch or coverstitch. It's an easy and clean finish. I also use stretch lace or foldover elastic or panty elastic allowing the picot edge to show. I often choose a certain neckline just to be able to use an elastic finish. I never use a facing.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Rosews13

Date: 10/2/11 9:22 AM

What's considered Soft--the ones that say for baby or lingerie?
Also, do you stretch it on the neck at all?

I don't have a serger, but will experiment with a zigzag.
Thanks, I'm getting too many experiments on PR
now to actually SEW!

Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 1/17/10
Send Message

In reply to gramma b

Date: 10/2/11 7:16 PM

Knit or lingerie elastic, whatever is not stiff and which bends easily. I get my elastic downtown Los Angeles very cheap by the bolt, like $6 or $8. I have white and black 1/4 inch. I think zz would work too. I don't stretch it unless it's for a leotard. If you end up with any distortion you can steam it back to shape if neccessary.

purplebouquet
star
purplebouquet
Advanced
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/05
Send Message

Date: 10/4/11 2:16 PM

I don't do well with clear elastic. It tunnels no matter what I try. I even bought a Teflon foot, but didn't have good results.

I've never tried glueing it on; maybe I'll try that.

Claudia

cimmanon
cimmanon
Intermediate
Member since 1/2/05
Send Message

Date: 10/7/11 7:55 PM

I would avoid clear elastic. I bought a bunch years ago when I was making skating costumes (used it in necklines with sheer spandex). When I had my parents mail all of my sewing stuff to me, I discovered that my stash of clear elastic had become brittle. Clear elastic tends to break easily, even when it is new.

I never had much trouble sewing clear elastic. I switched my serger to a 2-thread configuration, and always had the elastic on the bottom (in contact with the feed dogs).

My favorite elastic is usually labeled "cotton" elastic and has that unbleached muslin look to it. It feels softer than the usual black/white variety. It's been a while since I've bought any, but I used to be able to get it in 1/4" and 3/8" widths.

sewbluetiful
star
sewbluetiful
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 2/8/07
Send Message

In reply to sewbluetiful <<

Date: 7/7/12 9:06 PM

Quote: sewbluetiful
How do you put clear elastic in a round neck,,, some elastics will 'curve", but clear elastic doesn't,,, target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>blog back in 09...

I know I posted this about a year ago, but never really got it answered,,,

I guess my question is,, CAN you put clear elastic in a round neckline,, or armholes for that matter,,, because when I try to use it, it doesn't curve, it stays straight..and if I go ahead and use it,, it sticks out since it isn't flexible,,. or.... do you have to use an elastic that does curve, like foldover,, or lingerie elastic???

------
Mickie

http://sew-something.blogspot.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Sewing clear elastic

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

McCall's 3393

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Revisions 107

photo
by: JillyBe

Review
Petite Plus 501 Pattern

Petite Plus 501 Pattern

More Info
You Sew Girl Baguette Pattern

You Sew Girl Baguette Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.