SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Shoes ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Shoes
what the ... ?
HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

Date: 10/10/11 1:05 PM

I am astounded at the current fashion for very high heels. I went to DSW today and poked my feet into a couple pairs of 4- or 5-inch (at that point, who's counting?) heels just to see what they felt like. Yikes! How can anyone stand in those things, let along walk? The store did have a variety of heel heights and styles, but the dressiest shoes were all of this very high heel type. Add some platforms to those, and you might need dramamine.

So do you wear these? If so, how?

Because I don't want to end up in the hospital, this is what I bought (I'm very happy with them, too):

Clog

Patent MJs

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to HarrietHomeowner

Date: 10/10/11 2:09 PM

Congrats on your new shoes..

Heavens no. I can't put my hooves in high heels anymore. and for the few times I have no choice. I kick them off under that table asap...

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

Date: 10/10/11 2:50 PM

Cute clogs in a nice color!

Really, what's with the uber-high heels these days. I saw a woman wearing sky high chunky wood heel sandals with short short denim cutoffs and some tunic-ish tee...at the grocery store coffee shop place, in the morning, with her 8-10 year old son. Her outfit looked ok overall, she had lovely legs, but why did she need to wear those shoes to go to the grocery? With tight cutoffs? With her young son? I watched her clomp around getting her coffee, hope my mouth wasn't hanging open in my amazement.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

Date: 10/10/11 3:25 PM

I have to admit that when I looked in the mirror and saw myself in those heels I had a few seconds of thinking, "Hmmm, cute," but then recovered.

They are the 2011 version of bound feet.

(I got the clogs in black, btw.)

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

Date: 10/10/11 3:28 PM

I like the low close to the ground type shoes. When I was younger around the age 20 My husband and I went on a trip. I found such shoes sky high 4" heels side stepped. My ankle hurt for a week. No more.
I like the patent Mjs I'm going to look at dws shoes here to see if they have them.
-- Edited on 10/10/11 8:02 PM --

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 10/10/11 3:33 PM

I have quite a few 4"+ heels. They are "drop me at the door, I'm not walking from the parking space three blocks away" shoes, and for that, they're fine.

If we're in Vegas or New Orleans (or other cities where we're walking all over to get to dinner/out), I wear cute, comfortable shoes (emphasis on the comfortable, less on the cute) and keep the heels in my bag, then change shoes once we're nearby/inside. If you can stay off concrete/stone it helps a lot.

Melody
starstar
Melody
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 2/7/02
Send Message

In reply to Coconuts

Date: 10/10/11 4:40 PM

I do the same thing. I have "walking shoes" and "hot girl shoes" to be worn from the front door to the table and back. I have gotten accustomed to wearing really high heeled platform wedges and I find them to be comfortable. I will suffer a bit for fashion but not too much. Then again, if I'm going to get all made up and put on a girdle and hose, I'm already uncomfortable, I might as well go the extra mile. Knowing that I look good can take away the uncomfortable for a little while.

------
Melody

Ugh, really?

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

Date: 10/10/11 6:02 PM

Steve Madden

The front part measures 2" ,the back measures 5", and the heel is chuncky not a styleto. The upper part is black leather.
Beige pair

Both of these use a heavy solid material that makes up the platform/heel that is than covered in cork material. They are comfortable to wear for about 5-6 hours and the key is to take smaller shorter steps. This is why I sew, to be able to buy great shoes.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
Montana USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

Date: 10/10/11 8:44 PM

I love high heels! I broke my toe in the spring and was lost without being able to wear heels.

I wear the 3 or 4 inch heels to work. I have a couple pairs of 4 -5 inch dressy shoes. I think fit is really key to being able to walk well in them. The need to be snug so you don't feel like your are slipping out of them.

I'm going to wear them until I no longer can....lol

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

Invisigal
Invisigal
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/10/11 9:14 PM

I haven't worn high heels since I was in my 20's. I've got bunions from wearing them. Never again!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Shoes

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 1257

photo
by: SewLuva

Review
Paradiso Designs Retro Granny Skirt Formula Pattern

Paradiso Designs Retro Granny Skirt Formula Pattern

More Info
Petite Plus 504 Pattern

Petite Plus 504 Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.