SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fitting Woes > Petite alterations for bust and shoulders ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Petite alterations for bust and shoulders
Petite Fit
sewnotwork
star
sewnotwork
Advanced Beginner
Colorado USA
Member since 7/19/11
Send Message

Date: 10/17/11 0:37 AM

Although very simple pattern, did a muslin for Simplicity 2995. Cut a 10 for the upper body grading to a 12 at the waist. I'm shaped like a rectangle. I wear a 32c bra. Upper chest 32 1/2, 33 bust, waist 28 (on a good day) and 34 1/2 hips, lower hip 35.

Shoulders are too wide. and I think the armscye is too long. Also the neckline is low and wide. I'm short, barely 5' 1". Also the darts are about a half an inch lower than at my bust.

Any suggestions as to how to make this work? I have always stuck with dresses that have a bodice with thin straps because of this. Also since most patterns have are geared for a "B" cup. Do I need to make a bust adjustment when I actually probably could wear a 34B, but the fit is better with 32C

Help Please!

helen in oz
helen in oz
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/2/10
Send Message

Date: 10/17/11 6:11 AM

If the bust dart is too low and the armscye is too low, sounds like you need a standard petite adjustment at the armscye notches. However, if the the neckline is also too low, you might be able to do a three-in-one by lifting the whole thing at the shoulders (sewing a deeper shoulder seam). You may need to lift the front more than the back or vice versa.

Regarding the shoulders and neckline being too wide - it might be that you need a smaller size in the neck and shoulders than you used, then do a small FBA for the chest.

-- Edited on 10/17/11 6:14 AM --

jenleeC
star
jenleeC  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Western Australia Australia
Member since 6/4/11
Send Message

In reply to sewnotwork

Date: 10/17/11 7:02 AM

Did you use the petite alterations on the pattern? At 5'1" these would help with your fit.

I am 5'2" and similarly sized to you, just a little more hourglass/pear shaped - 34/25/35. I am also 32B/C and have never needed to do a bust adjustment. Your fit issues sound like the same ones I face. I think you need to do two things: firstly, shorten your pattern by about 1/2" between the bust point and shoulder using the petite adjustment line. This should lift your dart, neckline and armscye. As suggested by Helen, you could also lift the shoulder by sewing a deeper shoulder seam.

Then for the neckline width, see what would happen if you took 1" out on the centre front line. For your muslin, just sew a centre front seam straight down the middle to test this alteration. Alternatively you might be better just cutting a size 8 for the upper body. I commonly cut an 8 for myself even though my measurements would suggest a size 10. I find this gives me a much better fit around the shoulders, armhole and neckline.

As a petite, it is really worth understanding how ease is added to patterns. You will find that the same amount of ease is added for a size 8 as for a size 14. For example, a pattern may have 3" ease at the bust line for all sizes. This means that a size 8 will be relatively bigger than a size 14. As a petite, I find I cannot carry as much ease as a taller person and yet patterns are drafted just the opposite. Cutting a smaller size can help a lot.

I don't know if Simplicity patterns have improved, but I gave up on them a long time ago as they always made up way too big for me. I know some sewers here love them and find the fit suits them well, but they never suited my petite frame.

Sorry this is such a long post, but your fit issues were such a close match to my own that I thought I should share. I hope this information will be of some use to you.
-- Edited on 10/17/11 7:43 AM --

------
Jenny, Perth, WA

sewnotwork
star
sewnotwork
Advanced Beginner
Colorado USA
Member since 7/19/11
Send Message

Date: 10/17/11 9:51 AM

Thanks for the replies. I do use the petite alteration lines but most patterns just have the adjustment at about the waist and not one that goes between bust and shoulders. I do have a book that shows it so will give it a try.

Maybe I will cut an 8 for neck, shoulders and armscye. When you do that do you have trouble with the bust fitting?

sewnotwork
star
sewnotwork
Advanced Beginner
Colorado USA
Member since 7/19/11
Send Message

In reply to jenleeC

Date: 10/17/11 9:55 AM

Quote: jenleeC

I don't know if Simplicity patterns have improved, but I gave up on them a long time ago as they always made up way too big for me. I know some sewers here love them and find the fit suits them well, but they never suited my petite frame.

What pattern line do you prefer? Do you find you have to do an FBA when you cut an 8?
sewnotwork
star
sewnotwork
Advanced Beginner
Colorado USA
Member since 7/19/11
Send Message

In reply to jenleeC

Date: 10/17/11 9:55 AM

[/quote]
What pattern line do you prefer? Do you find you have to do an FBA when you cut an 8?
-- Edited on 10/17/11 9:58 AM --
-- Edited on 10/17/11 10:05 AM --

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

In reply to sewnotwork

Date: 10/17/11 10:10 PM

I am five feet tall and must "petite" every pattern. I take out length in the bodice between the shoulder and bust apex on every garment. I also usually scale down any garment details, like pockets, collars, by a 1/4 inch or sew. I also FBA up to a C on every pattern. I have a tute on my blog on how to "petite" a pattern. It took me many years to figure this out but now I do these changes automatically right out of the envelope. It's made a huge difference. Here' s that link: Petiting a Pattern

As far as pattern lines, among the Big Four, I do the exact same changes to all of them and have never noticed a difference in how one differs from the other in fit. I've been doing this a long time, too. I'm always amazed when some say Simplicity runs big or Vogue runs small or whatever. I personally have found no difference and do the same changes to all of them. HTHs.
-- Edited on 10/17/11 10:12 PM --

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

sewnotwork
star
sewnotwork
Advanced Beginner
Colorado USA
Member since 7/19/11
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker

Date: 10/17/11 11:43 PM

Thanks for the reply, I took at your blog and instructions are really clear. I'll definitely do that. How would you adjust for the narrow shoulders/back?

jenleeC
star
jenleeC  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Western Australia Australia
Member since 6/4/11
Send Message

In reply to sewnotwork

Date: 10/18/11 0:27 AM

Quote: gedaste
[/quote]

I sew predominantly Vogue patterns but this is just because I find myself drawn to the styles not because the fit is any better for a petite. When I sew I am usually looking for something a bit unique with some special detailing or designer element and the vogue line seem to deliver in this area better than the other lines. The Burda patterns also look good but I find their website such a pain it puts me off! I am also sewing a few McCalls patterns these days as my two girls (11 & 14) like the more fashion forward patterns offered by McCalls.

As far as FBA adjustments go, I have never needed to do one, but then I really am quite small in the bust. I would only be regarded as a B cup. I tend to chose a size 10 pattern for fitted garments but go down to an 8 for less fitted dresses and shirts. Unless you are a very full C cup I would think you would be fine without a FBA, even in a size 8. I guess this is one area you will have to experiment with and find out what works best for you.

Do post a review and some pics of your final dress!

-- Edited on 10/18/11 8:37 AM --

------
Jenny, Perth, WA

sewnotwork
star
sewnotwork
Advanced Beginner
Colorado USA
Member since 7/19/11
Send Message

In reply to jenleeC

Date: 10/18/11 1:21 PM

Quote: jenleeC

Do post a review and some pics of your final dress!

I will... I am using an embroidered sheer fabric that I have been told is pina fabric (made out of pineapple fibers) from the Philippines. It will be an overlay over a silk sleeveless dress. Thanks again!
-- Edited on 10/18/11 1:22 PM --
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Petite alterations for bust and shoulders

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

New Look 6816

photo
by: halleyscom...

Review

Pattern

The Essential Tote

The Essential Tote

Buy Now
SewBaby One Piece Reversible Sundress Pattern

SewBaby One Piece Reversible Sundress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.