SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Making a quilt from 75-year-old blocks ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Making a quilt from 75-year-old blocks
Invisigal
Invisigal
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/09
Send Message

Date: 10/17/11 11:03 PM

I am new at quilting, having almost finished my first quilt and never having taken a quilting class, etc. I have 10 large quilt squares made by my grandmother in approximately 1935. They are large, about 18 inches, appliqued butterflies on not-so-great quality domestic. I've finally gotten around to trying to do something with them. They are not mildewed, but are stained, so I plan to soak them in Oxyclean and hang to dry.

Is there anything else I should be aware of, try to avoid, etc. when working with this fabric? I haven't quite decided what to do about the number of 10 dilemma -- if only there were 12. Any tips would be appreciated.

Cathy Loves Fabric
star
Cathy Loves Fabric  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/16/04
Send Message

In reply to Invisigal

Date: 10/18/11 2:59 AM

That fabric is old and older than 1935 because it propably had been scraps aging at your grandmother's house before it was a quilt. Most recommendations for old quilts are for a very gentle wash tub wash with detergent made for delicate fabrics. I'm a risk-taker and have used the gentle cycle AFTER I reinforce loose stitches. Soaking the whole block in Oxyclean would not be recommended. You could try spot cleaning one of the blocks gently to see if the stains will come out. I restored an old quilt for my sister and covered the stains by tracing over the stained quilt peices; adding a 1/4 seam allowance and and hand appliquing a new quilt piece over the stained quilt peice. No one can look at the quilt and find the peices I fixed. They just blend right in! You can use clean vintage fabric or reproduction fabric. Of course, it's easier to do if your quilt is patchwork.

I hope you have fun bringing your grandmother's quilt to life.

Article on Vintage Quilt Repair
-- Edited on 10/18/11 3:05 AM --

------
My hope is to sew to the very end. They'll find my head slumped over my precious Kenmore 19606 and have to pry the seam ripper from my cold, dead hands.

Invisigal
Invisigal
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/09
Send Message

In reply to Cathy Loves Fabric

Date: 10/18/11 8:32 AM

Quote: Cathy Loves Fabric
That fabric is old and older than 1935 because it propably had been scraps aging at your grandmother's house before it was a quilt. .....
I hope you have fun bringing your grandmother's quilt to life.

I hadn't thought of that, but you're probably right. I was only thinking of the fabric onto which the appliques were sewn. Since I don't want to take the time to reinforce the hand-applique, I think I will wash by hand. I lost this grandmother when I was only 6, so my memories of her are vague, but sweet. It will be of great sentimental value and I can't wait to show it to the other grandchildren when it's finished.

Thanks so much for your reply.
KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 10/18/11 8:43 AM

go slow, take your time. experiment cleaning one before you do all of them. I think your plan is fantastic, better to use them than leave them shut off in a drawer.

Another thought is individual wall size quilt hangings with a block as a centerpiece if the quilt doesn't work out

Invisigal
Invisigal
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/09
Send Message

Date: 10/18/11 4:09 PM

Kathysews, thanks for your suggestions and comments. I am excited about getting something done with these blocks and I will work with one square before risking all of them.

auntie bellums
auntie bellums  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/1/05
Send Message

Date: 10/18/11 5:53 PM

I have a friend that has an antique shop and when I asked her about laundering older quilts she said first step is Orvis and then if all else fails Cascade dishwaser soap.

I did as she said and was surprised that on the quilts that had severe staining the Cascade took it out when everything else failed and the fabric remained strong and bright.

------
It's not your mamma's sewing.....It's your great grandmamma's

Invisigal
Invisigal
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/09
Send Message

Date: 10/18/11 7:45 PM

Thanks for that tip about the Cascade. I will keep that in mind!

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
online now
Send Message

Date: 10/18/11 8:32 PM

You could just pick the best 9 blocks and make a square quilt. Put the extra one on the back...or on a pillow.

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 10/19/11 0:35 AM

Use your least favorite or worst condition block for your tests. As for 10 blocks, they'll go nicely in three columns: 3, 4, 3. Either on point or staggered, with or without sashing. Or with 10 alternating plain or pieced blocks for a total of 20- 4x5. Or two quilts each with five of your grandmother's blocks plus 4 alternate blocks, in order to have two keepsakes. Good luck!

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Invisigal
Invisigal
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/09
Send Message

Date: 10/19/11 8:18 AM

Thanks for all of these suggestions for things I hadn't thought of. Decisions, decisions.....

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Making a quilt from 75-year-old blocks

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

Online Class
Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Class Details

Other Moonshine

photo
by: velosewer

Review
Candice

Candice

More Info
J Stern Designs The Tee Paper Pattern

J Stern Designs The Tee Paper Pattern

More Info
McCall's 6103

photo
by: ChrisS

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.