SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Beginner sewing machine ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Beginner sewing machine
Help!
Mia
Mia
Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 11/17/02
Send Message

Date: 11/17/02 5:24 PM

Hi there,
I'm looking for any advice on a easy to learn beginner sewing machine. I had home economics in high school and my mom was an avid sewer for awhile when we we're growing up and I'd love to get into it but don't want to be discouraged with a machine that may be to tough to learn how to use.

Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks for your time!  :)

Member since 3/16/04
Send Message

Date: 11/17/02 8:55 PM

Yooper,

Once you find the sewing machine dealer that feels most comfortable for you, see if they can help you find a used mechanical machine.  A good dealer will be highly motivated to meet your perceived needs, rather than being focused on what they'd like most to sell you.

My sewing machine caretaker would tell you that it is best that you sew on as many different brands as you are able and decide which is most comfortable for you.  Then obtain a used mechanical in that brand.  The mechanicals tend not to be so full of features that learning to use them starts to feel like it requires a full college education. :)

I am a fan of Bernina mechanicals; they are nearly bullet proof.  That does not mean that many other brands might not serve your needs as well, and I can't say that I've ever had a sewing machine that I've actually broken beyond repair. :)

Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
Send Message

Date: 11/17/02 9:13 PM

yoopergoddess,

when I started looking at sewing machines last year I was so confused. But I took my time looked at a lot of machines and finally setteled down with my kenmore.

Its a very good machine, I;ve had it for over a year now with no problems at all.

I did look at some 'brand' name sewing machines also but I was not getting the features I wanted in the price I could afford. Two months ago Threads magazine did a very good review of some sewing machines. You might want to purchase that copy and take a  look at that.

The best advice I can give you: make a note of all the features you need and then start looking around. Dont ignore the kenmores. They are good machines and sears is probably having a sale right now.

------
- Deepika
Founder, PatternReview.com
Blog: http://www.deepikablogs.com

Maria Hatfield
star
Maria Hatfield
Intermediate
Oklahoma USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 11/17/02 9:41 PM

;) hi can i put my 2 cents worth in here ? dh bought my first machine (singer) at walmart and it sat for about 6 or 7 yrs. in the box. didnt know how to work it and its the very very simple kind, no fancy stitches or anything. then my second machine was a necchi lydia the 3rd machine was a necchi royal. and boy are them 2 necchi's different. one has a oscillating bobbin and the other is a full rotary bobbin. the oscillating bobbin gives me such a hard time. but everyone is different. you might be able to get along with a oscillating bobbin machine. and i now have one in layaway thats a "new home" plus i have a brother serger (walmart purchase). but im with deepika. if i would have just waited and went to sears. my dad has a charge account over there. and i just want a good ole' work horse that has some fancy stitches doesnt have to be alot of them but a few so that when i get the urge to make little decorative stitches when im doing my crafts, then i'll have them.  :) and still have the machine handle the leather or buckskin i use in my crafts. i even put the necci lydia up for along time BECAUSE, it wasnt "new" but i have lately had to use it and found out it does sew leather. nice surprise and it also has some neat little stitches. so take your time and buy with what you need in mind. unlike me, i did a fast purchase.

------
Happy Sewing Everyone  (smiling at you) ~Maria~http://www.friendsofpr.com/cgi-bin/showAlbum.pl?profileid=1126

Mia
Mia
Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 11/17/02
Send Message

Date: 11/17/02 9:50 PM

Thanks for all of your advice. I have been researching all night and am intreasted in the Kenmore 15516 because it is in my price range. I just don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on something only to find out I'm not as intreasted as I thought I was although I'm pretty sure I've found a niche in life! :)

My only problem with dealerships is I live in a small town and the closest "city" is about 3 hours away, although I live on a border town to Canada which is much larger so with the exchange rate it may not be a bad idea to check out over there.

Again thanks for your help. :)

Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
Send Message

Date: 11/18/02 2:30 PM

yooper do you have Sears near you?

check out this review of singer izek!
http://www.patternreview.com/cgi-bin....&ID=110
You can even buy it online for an incredible price.

------
- Deepika
Founder, PatternReview.com
Blog: http://www.deepikablogs.com

Member since 3/16/04
Send Message

Date: 11/18/02 3:34 PM

Hi, If you don't mind I'd like to add my two cents.

My first machine was a used one that only did a straight stitch. After a year it just bit the dust, but by then I knew I wanted to sew for a hobby. That was 30 years ago.  I went to Sears and bought the basic zig zag with buttonhole attachment. I wish I'd gotton one that had a few more options but could not afford it. Ten years later I got an Elna Carina, (mechanical) and now a Bernina. I love them both.

If you're just getting into sewing I don't know that I'd spend a whole lot of money to start with, I am partial to older Kenmore, like on ebay, or better yet a good used Bernina or Elna, as long as they have been well tended and not run into the ground. They are out there. Good luck, let us know what you decide. Elaine/California

Georgene
starstarstarstar
Georgene
Expert/Couture
California USA
Member since 10/5/02
Send Message

Date: 11/18/02 3:51 PM

Hi, another 2 cents for what it's worth....A machine that sews straight stitch will do a lot.  You don't need fancy or new to get going.  I'm still sewing with my mother's 1933 portable Singer, although I think longingly of my Pfaff that got stolen so many years ago.  I wish I could do basic zigzag sometimes, but I've lived without it.  I do have an old serger machine which satifies my needs for sewing stretchy knits.  Someday when my rowboat comes in, I'll spring for something newer.  Good luck with getting started.  It's like buying cars or houses, you can always trade up!

KarenP
star
KarenP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Nevada USA
Member since 8/19/02
Send Message

Date: 11/18/02 5:01 PM

Hi,  I'm also a happy Kenmore owner.  I bought model 16530 a few months ago, although I think they've recently discontinued that model.  I also checked out some higher end machines, and read the Threads review Deepika referred to (you can get the camparison chart online at the Threads site).  What attracted me to the Kenmores was that I could get more features for a lot less money, and like you I did not want to shell out a lot for a new hobby until it was proven that I would take to it.  I also wanted to get a machine I would not grow out of in 6 months.  I figure I can always upgrade in a few years if I find I'm  still sewing a lot.

If it makes a difference to you, Janome is the manufacturer for most Kenmore machines, and in fact I've noticed that Sears is now carrying some Janomes.

------
~Karen
http://thingsfromscratch.wordpress.com

Lizzi
Lizzi
Advanced Beginner
Louisiana USA
Member since 3/27/05
Send Message

Date: 3/27/05 1:26 PM

I am trying to decide on an "intro to sewing" machine for my 8 year old granddaughter. She is quite sharp and learns easily. At a local store (All Brands) I was introduced to a Craft Master 300. Does anyone know about this brand or model?

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Beginner sewing machine

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

New Look 6130

photo
by: charid daw...

Review
Burda 7547

photo
by: ClaireEmil...

Review

Pattern

You Sew Girl 90mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 90mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Men's Hawaiian Aloha Shirt

Victoria Jones Collection Men's Hawaiian Aloha Shirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.