Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Quilters' Corner > What supplies should I purchase for quilting? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What supplies should I purchase for quilting?
Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 4/12/05
Login to reply to this post

Date: 10/24/11 7:57 PM

I have been quilting for a few months now. I joined a group of women at church and they are teaching me. I only do the sewing for now. The strips are already cut and ready to go. The squares too.

I want to know for my own usage at home what tools should I buy? I do garment sewing, so I have rotary cutters and mats. I have a 6x24 ruler that is still in the plastic. I also have a 4x24 ruler. Not much else.

Can you give me suggestions on what tools I should buy? Any suggestions on beginners patterns would be nice.

Learn

------
I am a Quilter at heart. I love to play with fabrics, patterns and colors. Recently I have discovered I enjoy doing applique. I love making pictures. Using a sewing machine is much easier than counted cross stitch or oil painting for me. I enjoy landscape quilting as well. I am working on my first applique project in the spring of 2014.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

In reply to Learn To Sew

Date: 10/24/11 8:23 PM

My "must haves" are a quarter inch foot & walking foot for my sewing machine and a good iron.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07

In reply to Learn To Sew

Date: 10/24/11 8:58 PM

When I started quilting nearly 20 years ago I started with basic supplies like you. I would not worry about having the latest fabulous tool. As your repetoire of skills develop and you work on more diverse projects then supplies will grow. I only get what I need for a project but somehow my stash of fabric and supplies as multipied like LynnRowe Featherweights,

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 4/12/05

In reply to PattiAnnJ

Date: 10/24/11 9:11 PM

I did not think to say I had a quarter inch foot for the BL Molly and the Pfaff as well. The Pfaff has IDT. No walking foot for the Babylock. I use the BL when I talk s a class and for my quilting group.

I have a Rowenta iron, but I prefer my lighter Norelco. Granted the Norelco does not have burst of steam, but it also does not weigh as much. A trade off, you might say.

I know I will collect tools as I go along. I just wanted to be sure I have the basics for getting started.

The pattern book I need to order is called PS I Love You Baby Collection. Our group is doing the lollipops & lemon drops pattern on page 32. I will order a book from Amazon or another seller tomorrow.

Why do I need a walking foot for quilting, anyway? So far all I know how to do is sew the squares together with the strips. I have not done anything else.

------
I am a Quilter at heart. I love to play with fabrics, patterns and colors. Recently I have discovered I enjoy doing applique. I love making pictures. Using a sewing machine is much easier than counted cross stitch or oil painting for me. I enjoy landscape quilting as well. I am working on my first applique project in the spring of 2014.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to Learn To Sew

Date: 10/24/11 10:03 PM

An 18x24 mat, several square rulers, a 1/4" foot for your Singer machine, as well as a walking foot. The walking foot is when you are quilting the backing, batting and top together. A free motion foot. A fabric marking pen. And as to beginner's patterns, Click here
This site will give you patterns like you wouldn't believe. In the box that says Where do you want to go today?, (the selections in this box are also great tools to have), scroll down to Quilt Blocks Galore and click on that. Any block with one pin is a beginner block. They are listed in alpha order or by size.

The How To Pages and Projects, as well as the Lessons are valuable tools I refer to often.

Then there's Bonnie Hunter, www.quiltville.com, if you want inspiration. Her Scrap Users System is how I organize my fabrics, and the pictures from her Binding Hints are so clear and descriptive. I've made about six or seven quilts using her patterns: Bricks and Stepping Stones, Crayon Box, Diamond in a Square Strings, Hidden Spools, Star Struck, Sister's Choice and Strip Twist. There's a lot out there!

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05

Date: 10/24/11 10:15 PM

One thing I learned just recently (just before my class in June actually) was that when you go buy "Quilting thread" you want to get MACHINE quilting thread which isn't coated. Your machine won't like the hand quilting thread because much of it is coated and that stuff can get caught and rubbed off in your machine - at least that is the advice of one of my books and a few ladies in the class. I have a few brands of quilting thread and I like the C&C machine quilting thread better than the other brands I have. I hear you can just use regular Metrosene or Gutermann as well, but not stuff that's coated.
It is coated so that in hand quilting it will pass smoothly through the layers without you having to use as much effort I believe. Other than that - you will also need safety pins for pinning the layers together. Safety pins so you don't stick yourself. the only actual "quilting gizmos" I bought since I am a rank beginner are the gloves (under 3 dollars at JAs) and the handy Kwik Klip - a very useful gadget. Total outlay for those - about 9 dollars or less because I always use a coupon ot two at Joann's.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08

In reply to Learn To Sew

Date: 10/24/11 10:40 PM

Quote: Learn To Sew
I have been quilting for a few months now. I joined a group of women at church and they are teaching me. I only do the sewing for now. The strips are already cut and ready to go. The squares too.

I want to know for my own usage at home what tools should I buy? I do garment sewing, so I have rotary cutters and mats. I have a 6x24 ruler that is still in the plastic. I also have a 4x24 ruler. Not much else.

Can you give me suggestions on what tools I should buy? Any suggestions on beginners patterns would be nice.

Learn

My favorite ruler is the Omnigrid 4x8 - it is good for many sizes without being too big. I also like snips for cutting small threads, you may have one for sewing, but I would hate to be without mine.

Lately I have also been using a 6 1/2" square and a 9 1/2" square which I got cheap - they are useful but not essential.

Easy patterns: four-patch, nine-patch, monkey wrench, greek cross, anvil. I think you will find that as you make blocks some will seem more pleasurable for you than others. I think this is totally individual - the ones you enjoy making might not be my choice. So it is hard to tell you which ones to try.

I actually broke down and bought a set of special rulers (50% off at Jo-ann's, so it was not very far to break down) and I have been making 54-40 or Fight - it is a bit more complicated but I always wanted to make it and I am having tons of fun.

OH, and the most important thing for quilting - a purring cat, sometimes two.
-- Edited on 10/24/11 10:43 PM --

------
Barb

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07

In reply to Learn To Sew

Date: 10/24/11 11:12 PM

Quote:
Why do I need a walking foot for quilting, anyway? So far all I know how to do is sew the squares together with the strips. I have not done anything else.

You may want to learn to quilt that first quilt top soon. I made the mistake of not learning to quilt right off and developed a hugh phobia to it early. I have now surmounted that barrier but it is best to learn from the start some basic straightline machine quilting and stitch in the ditch. You will definately need the walking foot for that.... Some folk like to piece with a walking foot because it helps to assure your peices stay put. Personally I like to pin and I love Iris Superfine Silk Pins These may seem pricey but I still have the same tin I started with so many years ago.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
WI USA
Member since 3/8/10

Date: 10/24/11 11:52 PM

I am thinking of getting a stitch n the ditch foot. Does anyone use that allot? I have been using an open toe foot mostly as I can see better when putting squares together or applique.... Stitch N the Ditch foot a good idea or no?

I have also gotten to really like using snips to trim threads instead of full size scissors... just my preference but I do like them. ; )

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

2 shots in DH eye down, 1 more to go. We hope the tumor is shrinking. Orthopedic surgeon for DH on Thursday... sigh...

"Dear God...Help me out please!" ..Fr. Eric

happiness5
happiness5
Member since 4/19/11

In reply to tgm and Kittys

Date: 10/25/11 4:57 AM

I have the SID foot and I do not use it! I found an open toe foot works better for me so I can see just what I'm doing, but some people do really like the SID foot so I suppose it's personal preference.

I like the Eleanor Burns books for beginner quilting. I think her measurements and directions are easy to follow. The log cabin (she has a book for that) was an easy first quilt because it's just 2 1/2 strips chain piecing.

One helpful tip that I learned the hard way is to match your binding closely to your backing and border print the first few times you do it to help disguise mistakes.

It sounds like you've got a good basic set of tools. I'm a gadget junkie and just can't stop myself. I think the thing I use that's most critical beyond the basics is my tacking gun for basting the sandwich (top, batting, backing). I would scream if I had to use a bunch of safety pins!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> What supplies should I purchase for quilting?

Merchants on PR
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Online Sewing Classes
Sewing Basics
Fee: $14.99
(Regular $14.99)
Sewing Basics

Vogue Patterns 8392
photo
Review by Elle B on 4/16/10
Read Review

Simplicity 3669 Pattern ( Size 3-4-5-6 )
Simplicity 3669 Pattern ( Size 3-4-5-6 )

Details
Price: $11.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1874 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
Simplicity 1874 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $17.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6525
photo
Review by Trinity. on 1/13/06
Read Review

Sis Boom Rosetta Bag Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Rosetta Bag Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $8.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Salme Pussy Bow Blouse Digital Pattern
Salme Pussy Bow Blouse Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Victory Anouk Paper Pattern
Victory Anouk Paper Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Petite Plus 651 Pattern
Petite Plus 651 Pattern

Details
Price: $21.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN