Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Creative Sewing > Martha Pullen's Guest - Making Zippers Fun ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Martha Pullen's Guest - Making Zippers Fun
A Fun Way to Use Zippers, Mix and Match Colors
a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Login to reply to this post

Date: 10/28/11 5:56 PM

As noted elsewhere, I've started watching Martha Pullen's, Martha's Sewing Room.

Her guest today was making simple but colorful print quilted and zipped pouches. The fun part was using two different colored separating zippers to make one zipper, pink on one side and green on the other. The colors were picked up from the fabric's print. And, yes, it means buying two zippers to get the effect. But it was a delightfully fun look.

This could work for children's clothing, workout wear, etc. And, they suggested using different team colors on each side of your zipper for your cheer them on apparel. It could make a very bold statement in some of the adult garments with exposed zippers.

The guest also made some flowers with leftover zippers. The teeth were at the top edge. Different, fun and sharp. And, if you've seen the fancier zippers with sparkly teeth, that was made into a really dressing looking flower/pin. Lot's of different ideas I had never thought of including dressing up flip flops by covering the straps and adding a zipper flower.

Any other fun zipper ideas?

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

pattipat
pattipat
Intermediate
AL USA
Member since 1/17/05

Date: 10/28/11 11:22 PM

I watched this show today also and would love a little more instruction on the technique of the first zippered bag they showed. This show does not really give an in depth explanation of things, going over them so fast and with very few close ups of the work in progress. I have been unable to locate any instructions for these bags online. Has anyone else found the instructions? I like making purses and really like mine to have a zippered main section but I always struggle to get zippers to look the way I'd like them to.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08

In reply to pattipat

Date: 10/29/11 0:39 AM

pattipat,

The guest said that there was no pattern and just make it up any old size. My husband was also passing through as she was saying that it would be hard to match a zipper to the print fabric but that now, with the pink half of the zipper on one side and the green half on the other, that it matched beautifully. This struck him as being really funny.

I agree that her guests go through things pretty fast. And, in this case, there weren't really any bag instructions. I'll look around online and see what I can link up here for zippered bags. So, is it that you want the whole main pocket to have a zipper across the top, or are you looking for something with a big zippered pocket inside of the main pouch?

Often, whether it is for a pillow or a tote/purse, I'll apply the zipper onto an oversized piece of fabric, totally finish off the zipper application turning two pieces of fabric into one piece of fabric with a zipper and then cut the pillow/tote/purse piece out of that.

It is easier for me to insert the zipper in the flat fabric. And, particularly on heavier fabrics, the fabric sometimes draws up a bit when inserting the zipper. So cutting the fabric after the zipper is inserted is more accurate for me.

------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have a blog that might help pattipat?

The bag used in the demonstration could have been drawn up by tracing around an over-sized dinner plate or small round cookie sheet. Actually, that is probably where she got the pattern as the deep hem allowance at the top would make it just about right to be just under a half moon shape. The fabric was quilted. The half moon was seamed with no gusset and then the large separating zipper pieces, two different colors, were applied at the top of the box. Right side of zipper side to right side of bag with a very small seam allowance so that a lot of the zipper tape would show.

pattipat, what kind of bag or tote would you like to start with?

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Nurse Jane
Nurse Jane  Friend of PR
Member since 2/2/08

Subject: Martha Pullens Guest - Making Zippers Fun Date: 10/29/11 8:01 AM

Who was the guest? Maybe you could contact her directly for instructions that are more in-depth.

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/23/06

Subject: Martha Pullens Guest - Making Zippers Fun Date: 10/31/11 5:52 PM

I have a peeve with this show. I love Martha and respect her knowledge of heirloom sewing. I get so frustrated when she is explaining something and there is NO detailed closup of the item or of the sewing machine doing its thing. I was told by someone that the show is put on by students in the television program at the college where it is made so it doesn't get very complicated. She has such beautiful garments on sometimes and you just don't get to see the fine details and those details are how she has built her career and reputation. Just wish for better camera work.

As a comparison, Nancy Zieman goes slow enough to get you to understand and always has wonderful closeups of her work.

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08

In reply to solosmocker

Date: 10/31/11 6:00 PM

Thanks for reminding me solosmocker, Nancy Zieman's latest show that aired in our area this past Saturday, featured a nice little tote that included four zippers.

Pattipat, did you happen to see that show, or do you have access to the Nancy Zieman shows.

I hold Ms. Zieman up there at hero status for a variety of reasons. What a woman!

------

purplebouquet
star
purplebouquet
Advanced
AR USA
Member since 11/16/05

Date: 11/1/11 2:18 PM

Many of Nancy's shows are available on the Wisconsin PBS channel. Scroll down and you'll find the recording of Stress Free Zipper Creations.

Claudia

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08

In reply to purplebouquet

Date: 11/1/11 2:23 PM

Thanks purplebouquet, I hope that pattipat will see the link. Naturally, I'll be checking to see what I've missed before our station picked up her show.

------

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UT USA
Member since 12/7/05

In reply to a7yrstitch

Date: 11/1/11 2:37 PM

I agree, this program was a little frustrating, although I enjoyed it anyway. For example, when she's doing the most complex parts of the projects, they are pulled way back so you are seeing her and the machine from about 10 ft away..... makes it very hard to follow the project.

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

Mimicj
Mimicj  Friend of PR
Advanced
NV USA
Member since 1/11/06

Date: 11/1/11 3:02 PM

I think the guest was Linda McGehee, she has a site to view for more instructions, http://www.ghees.com/html/free_projects.html, her site also sells colorful zips.

HTH,

Mimicj

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Martha Pullen's Guest - Making Zippers Fun

Merchants on PR
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Online Sewing Classes
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Simplicity 2922
photo
Review by karen n on 2/25/13
Read Review

You Sew Girl Evening Bag Pattern
You Sew Girl Evening Bag Pattern

Details
Price: $17.65
Add to Bag Add to Bag

You Sew Girl Adult Hats Pattern
You Sew Girl Adult Hats Pattern

Details
Price: $22.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Angela Wolf The Fringe Skirt Digital Pattern (Print at Home)
Angela Wolf The Fringe Skirt Digital Pattern (Print at Home)

Details
Price: $12.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Clara Twirl Dress Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )
Peek-A Boo Clara Twirl Dress Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue Patterns 9586
photo
Review by sewdc on 6/7/11
Read Review

McCalls 6885 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12-14-16 )
McCalls 6885 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12-14-16 )

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2526 Pattern( Size 1/2-1-2-3-4 )
Simplicity 2526 Pattern( Size 1/2-1-2-3-4 )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN