SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Contest Discussions > More "Placing" categories ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
More "Placing" categories
CAgirl
star
CAgirl
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 4/16/05
Send Message

Date: 11/5/11 9:52 AM

I would like to see more " prize'" or "placing" categories added. A 2nd , 3rd, Runner Up, Honorable Mention, Special Recognition, etc. could be applied . So much time, work and HEART go into these projects that choosing to reward only one participant seems so limited. Possibly the current system exists because it is simple to tabulate... don't know if it would be possible to add additional categories. Just a thought!

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

In reply to CAgirl

Date: 11/5/11 10:58 AM

Perhaps the problem with only two categories of "winners" is getting sponsors to provide prizes to support a greater number. In fact, sometimes the contest prizes are provided by PR. I thought this might be because Deepika couldn't get a sponsor.

------
Judy

Aroura
starstarstar
Aroura
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 7/30/09
Send Message

Date: 11/5/11 1:07 PM

You know, I see this topic pop up every 6 months or so, so I know it must cross a lot of peoples minds. But I agree, it must be due to prizes and sponsors that they have only one first place and one random winner. I mean, each contest currently costs each sponsor about $150. Even the PR challenges usually give away a free class (worth at least $50) and a free copy of 1001 sewing tips (worth about $30). This means they need to find about a dozen outside sponsors each year, and also sponsor 6 or so themselves. This adds up to a lot of free stuff being given away already. :)

However, perhaps PR could just provide something small and inexpensive, but still desirable to the second place for votes? Like a PR tote bag or something.

On the other hand, I would completely understand if they leave the system as it is. Honestly, I"m happy that these contests exist at all. :)

------
Sewing is more than my hobby, it is my art.
My new Blog: http://itssewcreative.blogspot.com/

Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
Send Message

Subject: More Placing categories Date: 11/5/11 1:43 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. A lot of effort goes into these contests. But like you guys pointed out, it's harder to get sponsors these days. We could get multiple sponsors for each contest but then how do we give them equal facetime and that gets complicated.

I do have a few ideas in mind for next years contests, stay tuned...

------
- Deepika
Founder, PatternReview.com
Blog: http://www.deepikablogs.com

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Deepika

Date: 11/5/11 1:53 PM

Yes, there are some wonderful items that don't get recognized due to the competition. Instead of a monetary prize, could a small insignia be made(like the Cup for the winners currently) and placed under the winners avatar? There looks like enough room, next to the FoPR and underneath it. We all love our stars..it would be neat to see it and be reminded every time we post.

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

CAgirl
star
CAgirl
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 4/16/05
Send Message

In reply to jannw

Date: 11/5/11 7:32 PM

I agree with some sort of icon ( blue ribbon, cup, balloon, etc)
attached to a person's avatar as a form of congratulations/recognition for a job well done. Or possibly an " Album of Winners" placed on the site.

JillyBe
starstarstar
JillyBe
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/20/10
Send Message

Date: 11/5/11 8:25 PM

I TOTALLY agree with jannw....exactly the sort of thing that occurred to me. If no sponsorship (i.e., tangible prize) is available, it would be SO nice if 2nd & 3rd place winners had a little badge or insignia acknowledgment that could be placed on their blog or somewhere else.

I, for one, am not so sure of the value of a random prize winner, when the 2nd place winner gets zippo, and sometimes there are only a few votes difference between #1 and #2.

And just to be clear, I've felt like a 'winner' in ever contest I've entered (3 total, I think), just because of the camaraderie, encouragement, and the achievement of completion - I've loved ever contest I've been in. But still, I think a little more acknowledgement for those who 'almost' got the prize would be so nice....

just my two bits :)

------
http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com/
a blog about creativity, sewing, vintage sewing machines, and...... life :)

PhaVic
PhaVic
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/16/11
Send Message

In reply to JillyBe

Date: 11/14/11 10:24 PM

Personally, I'm not found of the random prize winner. But I'm all for acknowledging 2nd place & 3rd place winners, even if it's just with a ribbon.
And another thing also that I'm not crazy about (but many people like it, so...) is the winning by number of items made/yards.
There's already the pattern stash/fabric stash every year where winners are choosen with these criterions, but I really don't like when another contest is decided that way ("Sprint towards the holidays" for example). But maybe it's just me.
Thanks anyway for the contests (and this great website), I follow them eagerly, and I hope to participate in one soon.
By the way, do you have any idea if and when the contests for 2012 will be announced ?
-- Edited on 11/14/11 10:26 PM --

------
Always a novice

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

Date: 11/17/11 1:12 PM

I like the idea that the 1st & 2nd place winners are determined by voting & win the prizes provided by the sponsors. And the 3rd place being a random drawing that gets something provided by PR like a free class or a copy of 1001 sewing tips or a yr. membership to PR.

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

quixoticpixels
starstar
quixoticpixels  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 4/2/08
Send Message

Date: 11/17/11 1:26 PM

These are great ideas! Thanks for the suggestions.

I understand some of you may not like the yardage contests, but others really love them. We try to have a fair number of both types to keep people busy and challenged!

------
Amy
http://quixoticpixels.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Contest Discussions >> More "Placing" categories

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

No Pattern Used xxx

photo
by: My Gramy

Review
Sewing Workshop Onde Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Onde Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Stitch 'n' Flip Jacket Construction - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Stitch 'n' Flip Jacket Construction  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.