SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Bridal and Formalwear Sewing > flange skirt ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
flange skirt
how to achieve vera wang's flange skirt effect?
dmariecouture
dmariecouture
Member since 3/2/11
Send Message

Date: 11/12/11 1:25 PM

I have a client who wants me to make a dress with a skirt similar to this one by Vera Wang . I'm going to use silk organza, and it looks like they leave the edges raw. Nonetheless, it looks like an awful lot of work to sew on all those layers, but at the price they sell it at David's Bridal, I have to believe there's some shortcut or time-saving technique. Has anyone tried making a skirt like this, or do you have any tips for me? Thanks!
- Danielle

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario Canada
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

Date: 11/12/11 3:00 PM

Whoa that's some dress! One I am NOT showing my daughter!
I'm not going to be of much help, but I am game to try!
I'm wondering about your idea of leaving the edges raw. I think a flange effect means that the fabric is folded in half- like a flange on a pillow. That's what I see from the photo anyways. And the fabric is on the bias.

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

cassaroo
cassaroo  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba CANADA
Member since 1/27/08
Send Message

Date: 11/12/11 6:55 PM

I checked out the photo, using the close-up button, and if you look on the right side of the skirt, you can clearly see the folded edges of the organza. It's gorgeous! Best of luck. I'm not sure how I would proceed if I were you. A few nights sleeping on it usually works for me!

------

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste...."

reneeb4930
star
reneeb4930  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/10/08
Send Message

Date: 11/12/11 7:49 PM

How many yards of silk organza do you think you will need to make that dress? A lot I think and the cost?

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to dmariecouture

Date: 11/12/11 10:59 PM

The first time this technique was brought to my attention was seeing Leanne Marshall's winning Project Runway collection which is still available on YouTube.

This is something I hadn't seen before. It will give a teeny amount of insight.
Close up of winning skirt.

Okay, I hadn't seen this either, but if you like her work, you'll want to see it. WARNING, I DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO WATCH THE WHOLE THING, I'VE BEEN BADLY SURPRISED BY THIS BEFORE, PLEASE DON'T LET YOUR KIDS WATCH IT WITH YOU UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN IT. There is some lighter use of flanges and something new with a 3 dimension cubist effect. And the most elegant use of an exposed zipper that I have seen to date.
2011 Leanne Marshall

This is the Project Runway Finale with the skirt linked above. Thought it would help to see the pieces in movement.
Leanne Marshall Project Runway Collection

I just saw an ad for a used one in Denver (sold already). The ad said the new price was $1,200 and she was asking $800.00. The new price even seems like a bargain. Price wise, can you compete with the prices that the factory is paying for all of that fabric? And, feeling like a stick in the mud for saying this, but short of having the dress to out and out copy in front of you, it is a lot of design time with the hope that your chiffon will have the exact amount of body as the original's.

If I had a favorite niece or daughter that wanted it I would make it as an act of love. But, I would first be testing a panel to be sure that the end result would meet expectations. Can you imagine what would happen if you had to press it?

The only tip I have, other than run, is to study the pattern and the number of flanges with a magnifying glass. You'll also want to print out some copies that you can use to gauge the width of the folded over flange strips which change throughout the skirt. Checking some of the pictures of ads for used dresses, I see that the flanging is not as complicated as it looks in the picture.
Used Gown Ad -Good Standing Front View
It should help to study as many of these pictures as you can find. The flanges are not nearly as swirly looking as they appear in the seated view.

Best wishes. I'll be curious to see whether or not you decide that it is profitable.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Lena Merrin
star
Lena Merrin
Expert/Couture
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/5/09
Send Message

Date: 11/12/11 11:43 PM

How about making a "tube" out of many layers of organza and then stitch one of the sides trough all layers? Then when youhold the tube by one side ( near opening) all layers are going to "fall out" ?

------
www.iconicpatterns.com

Bamma
Bamma
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 3/25/10
Send Message

Date: 11/13/11 0:26 AM

Given the amount of fabric for the entire dress (the cost of the good quality organza alone -- MINIMUM 20-30 yards needed), and the time involved developing the technique and pattern, this may be one of those instances where ready made is the best way to go. The $1200 price tag is not unreasonable for this unique and lovely dress.

------
Land of the free because of the brave.
There's no time like "sew" time.

MaryDB
star
MaryDB  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 2/9/08
Send Message

Date: 11/13/11 1:03 AM

Wow - good luck to you on making this dress!
Of course you know anyone can waltz into David's Bridal and look at the actual dress in person. DB dresses are normally off-the-rack.

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 11/13/11 8:14 AM

I've seen the dress up close. It is folded on the edges. It is also rather stiff so they may have put something else in the layers. I would not make that dress for the price David's Bridal is charging.

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

cassaroo
cassaroo  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba CANADA
Member since 1/27/08
Send Message

Date: 11/13/11 11:07 AM

While trawling the internet this morning, I came across this Marfy pattern with a modified flange look, they call it ruffles, which may be of interest to you.

Marfy patterns

------

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste...."

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Bridal and Formalwear Sewing >> flange skirt

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 199909-1000

photo
by: pinkcatflo...

Review
Ottobre Woman Magazine 02-2008-04

photo
by: Sandi S

Review
SewBaby Travel High Chair Pattern

SewBaby Travel High Chair Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.