SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Small Business Saturday ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Small Business Saturday
... day after Black Friday...
Karen31
star
Karen31  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/25/09
Send Message

Date: 11/15/11 10:34 AM

Has anyone heard about this? It's the day after black Friday, an effort to encourage people (who haven't blown their entire holiday budget on black Friday) to patronize small businesses (of course you COULD do this on black Friday, but the "event" is sponsored by American Express and they don't want to lose out on those merchant charges on BF!). I do have some interest in this as I work for a small business, but perhaps we can take a moment to think about whether we can choose an alternative gift still within our budget whose purchase may be more impactful if purchased somewhere other than a big chain. An email I received gave a lot of creative ideas for gift cards for services, dining, etc. that would support small businesses.
I do appreciate the publicity it's getting since it's an AmEx created holiday but am not thrilled that AE is incentivizing patronage by offering a credit on the AE card if you purchase from a small business (not sure what the criteria is, ie if it has to be on some list or something) when they charge a considerably higher merchant fee than other cards making the purchase less profitable for the small business..... but just something to think about...

------
Karen

ClaireC
star
ClaireC  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Connecticut USA
Member since 3/25/02
Send Message

Date: 11/15/11 1:20 PM

This is new to me. I have heard of Cyber-Monday, but not small business Saturday. I like the idea of creating this day to help the small business owner(s). I would love to patronize small businesses on Saturday, even though I no longer have an AMEX card.

Kristine Kay
starstarstar
Kristine Kay
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 4/3/07
Send Message

Date: 11/15/11 1:45 PM

I am going to try and do as much of my shopping as possible with small businesses. American made and local is even better!

------
When life gets you down... Just Keep Sewing!
www.kbdesigns74.blogspot.com

Carol Mendoza
star
Carol Mendoza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/1/06
Send Message

Date: 11/15/11 2:26 PM

American Express - Small Business Saturday

Here is the info from a Merchant's perspective - but it also gives details of what the cardholder has to do. I received the e-mail from A/X because my company (non-profit) accepts A/X cards. I've seen the ads running on TV as well.

------
Bernina 780; 440QE; Vintage 121; Babylock Evolution

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to Karen31

Date: 11/15/11 4:21 PM

Yes I have heard of it, they are even featuring a local small business each day on the news til Thanksgiving. I asked our local small fabric store today & she said they plan to be open an extra hour early on small business Saturday & possibly stay open an extra hour late too if business is good. ... I personally think it is good for our small shops....... & me personally since I am definitely not into mall shopping ... YUK! Malls are not good for people who do not do well with crowds & have to walk slowly to get around safely. ...........

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..

dfr2010
star
dfr2010  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 3/27/10
Send Message

Date: 11/15/11 5:15 PM

Take it a step further and pay in cash so your favorite local small business doesn't need to pay merchant fee on the transaction ... and why only one day? AmEx may regret this someday if the idea takes root like a dandelion seed ...

------
I don't really make mistakes ... I create "learning opportunities"! Murphy says: The better you match the thread to the fabric, the more likely you will need to rip some stitches out! I spend more quality time with my seamripper than I like ...
Yes, I DO love fabric!!
Happy owner of a band of Brothers: LX-3125, CS-770, CE5500 PRW, a PE-770 emb ... and now Kenmore 158.18032 and 148.12190
Blogging my "learning opportunites" at http://sewingmissadventure.blogspot.com/

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 11/16/11 10:49 AM

I can see I will need to make a trip to the quilt shop that Saturday and buy fabric. Gotta help out and do my part.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 11/26/11 2:35 PM

Anyone going to a small business to do some shopping today? I am not sure if I will make it to the quilting shop or not. I plan to get over there if time today. I would like to have some fabric while it is on sale at 30% off. The store is moving before Jan and they are having a nice sale. The sale begins today and runs for 2 weeks or maybe 3 weeks. (need more fabric, need more fabric, need more fabric...)

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Kristine Kay
starstarstar
Kristine Kay
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 4/3/07
Send Message

Date: 11/26/11 4:03 PM

I was limited on time, but picked up a necklace for DD, earrings for MIL, a coffee mug for BFF... And the last store offered $5 off, so I grabbed a pair of earrings for myself! It was obvious te merchants appreciated my business!

------
When life gets you down... Just Keep Sewing!
www.kbdesigns74.blogspot.com

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

Date: 11/26/11 4:13 PM

missed the American Express part never mind...lol
-- Edited on 11/26/11 4:22 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Small Business Saturday

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Vogue Patterns 8593

photo
by: GoodbyeVal...

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2011-101

photo
by: tigergirl

Review
Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Victory Lola Paper Pattern

Victory Lola Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.