SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > OK PoorPigling, what are sausage balls, and can I have the recipe, please ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
OK PoorPigling, what are sausage balls, and can I have the recipe, please
seaside sewer
seaside sewer
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 6/23/09
Send Message

Date: 11/18/11 7:37 AM

Have been following PP's Christmas story, and read the bit about sausage balls and potato casserole. YUM. So can I have the sausage balls recipe please? I did google it, and found ones which use biscuit mix. Now, here in the UK, 'specially where I live, [back of beyond and all that]
unusual ingredients are difficult, no, impossible to get. Sooo, if biscuit mix is needed, and I can't get it, what alternative can you recommend, that I may just have in my cupboard.
Many thanks in greedy anticipation
[love the stories by the way]

------
Bernina sewing machines 750, 440, 215, 1008. Bernina overlocker/serger 1150MDA
Pfaff Creative Performance
Janome embellisher
Singer featherweight 221K white
Frister and Rossmann Cub 7

Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

In reply to seaside sewer

Date: 11/18/11 7:50 AM

ditto for me....keep it up!!! It is one of the things that I look forward to each day!

------
There is no easy way! quote from my Grandfather
Sharing is caring!

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to seaside sewer

Date: 11/18/11 8:21 AM

This one is easy.. and that recipe is a favorite here.. I always make up a double batch.. they get eaten faster than chocolate chip cookies here.

That Potato Casserole dish recipe was posted on a link in sewwolfs what are you eating for Thanksgiving dinner thread. I can't wait to try it out.

Instead of posting the recipe right now.. as I have to dig it out from my stash of recipes.. let me just tell you where to go find it.. as that site its on is my favorite site.. Has other stand by recipes such as Impossible Taco Pie.. All the recipes on that site take few ingredients and are easy and quick to make up. The main ingredients in most of them are eggs, cheese and bisquick.. It is in fact the Bisquick recipe site ..

Basically for the sausage cheese balls. its a bit of milk.. a LOT of cheese and sausage.. The original recipe has a bit of rosemary in it I do not use.. as I do make up these for my dogs also.. Now with this recipe .. you can do variations .. change out the cheese.. The original calls for some parmesan.. which I have found you don't taste anyhow. so most generally I leave it out. You can use your favorite cheeses if you want though.. swiss or whatever. I just use the yellow cheese most of the time. And you can substitute cheeper brands of sausage rather than the more expensive Jimmy Dean or such.. The hardest part of the recipe is grating the cheese needed.. so you could buy bagged cheese.
You can also do just cheese balls without the sausage.. or substitute another meat . I would also bet there are variations on this recipe on the site.

Let me know if you can't find it.. I am going to go look for the link in my files right now. but am betting by the time I find it someone else who is better at this computer stuff will rescue us both..

Bisquick btw. is just a premade mix of flour etc. I can find that mix recipe also.. but its simple staple ingredients.. Go read the history of bisquick and you will see..

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 11/18/11 8:28 AM

I may go get JTinks for this one .. I know she does that taco pie.. and is a much better cook than I.. she may have her favorite variations on this recipe also..

These will keep a few days fine in the fridge.. most bisquits don't keep well.. but these will. However you better hide them in the back of the fridge as they do get eaten quickly..

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 11/18/11 8:29 AM

I'm going to butt in here, sorry Pigling. I look forward to the sausage ball recipe too, but I grew up on Sausage "biscuits". Not the traditional "biscuit with a round patty of sausage on it". This isn't sausage balls, but it's good. This is what I make and you will probably have all the things you need on hand:

2 cups of self-rising flour, table spoon of shortening, teaspoon of sugar. (If you are using biscuit mix, ie: Bisquick, you won't need the sugar or shortening.) Sift the flour and sugar, cut in the shortening. Add about a cup of Buttermilk(or regular milk). In otherwords, make a biscuit dough. I then roll it out into a rectangle that is about a 1/4 inch thick. Spinkle Cooked sausage, that's been crumbled up, all over the dough. Roll up starting at the long side(like a jelly roll), carefully slice about 1/2 inch thick and lay cut side down on greased baking sheet. I like to have the sides of my biscuits touching, makes them softer. Cook 450 degress, about 10 minutes or so, till golden brown and enjoy them warm from the oven.

Each person enjoys their own spread, I like Strawberry jam on mine, hubby likes butter. Just like we would on a regular biscuit. These essentially look like "pinwheels". Awfully good with a pot of veggie soup or breakfast with eggs.

Just looked, Pigling was typing her recipe as I was typing this...I'm going to go read hers now.
-- Edited on 11/18/11 8:30 AM --

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to JTink

Date: 11/18/11 8:34 AM

Thanks J.. Please note that Her recipe calls for precooked sausage.. the Bisquick recipe is made with the uncooked sausage..

So. do you have on the top of your head the substitute recipe for bisquick.. Still having my first cup of Joe here..

Mom to 5
star
Mom to 5
Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 2/5/09
Send Message

Date: 11/18/11 8:36 AM

.... sorry you guys know the Bisquik one already
-- Edited on 11/18/11 8:37 AM --

------
http://mamazsewingescapadez.blogspot.com/

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 11/18/11 8:36 AM

Allright already.. I will be the first one to admit I am a bit lazy in the kitchen.. so was looking over your recipe J.. and thinking you could just buy premade bisquit dough.. like what comes in those little round tins.. then roll it out and proceed on with the rest of your recipe ?

Bet you could sprinkle cheese on it too ?

I think its the combo of cheese and sausage that makes those cheese balls a favorite..

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 11/18/11 8:38 AM

Pigling, you give me too much credit on my cooking ability, but thank you.

We Love the impossible Taco Pie! The impossible Pumpkin pie is a holiday staple around here. I always make my biscuits from scratch, but when making the "impossible" stuff, I always use Bisquick. I'll never forget the first time I took my Impossible pumpkin pie to a family gathering. My Mother just couldn't figure out how we were going to cut it without a crust, to keep it from falling apart. She had a large spoon ready just in case it "liquified", she could scooped it out of the pie plate

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to Mom to 5

Date: 11/18/11 8:38 AM

Thanks.. not sure what the dogs will think about the dip..

Yes, this recipe is crumbly.. and sometimes I add a bit more milk if needed.. just a sprinkle more at a time..

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> OK PoorPigling, what are sausage balls, and can I have the recipe, please

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Simplicity 5581

photo
by: 3strouble

Review
Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings

Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.