SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Creative Sewing > Am I "Foiled"? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Am I "Foiled"?
Jones Tones
solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

Date: 11/22/11 9:55 AM

I've recently seen some gorgeous garments in a high end shop that had an amazing finish to the textiles, allover. I knew it was familiar looking to me and it wouldn't leave me alone. I thought I could do similar with a shiny silver paint and fabric medium. Then I went to the website and both fabrics in the garments were described as "foiled". They were gorgeous. Now I remember!

Back in the tacky puffy paint early nineties there was a product for "foiling" sweatshirts (eye roll). You put on glue, let dry, pressed on the foil sheets and voila! A stencil was used to apply the glue. The garments I have seen are far different in technique but use the same foil/glue process. I have found where to get the foil, a company called Jones Tones, and can't wait to get my order in and try to replicate these expensive garments.

Has anyone done "foiling" and have any hints? Did you do it way back in the day or is it something you are experimenting or using now in your art garments? Any hints/talk greatly appreciated. I hope to get on this right after the holidays. Thanks.

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 11/22/11 10:03 AM

There are some iron-ons around, and also there are the fabric paints. Lumiere. You can generally get the paints at an art supply store.

fabric paints

The paints work really well. If you look at Marcy Tilton's website, she has stencils and paint ideas and CD's.

Here's a piece of bemberg that I stenciled. This is after the fabric has been stenciled, dried and ironed and rewashed.
-- Edited on 11/22/11 10:04 AM --

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

Date: 11/22/11 10:33 AM

Thanks, Marilyn. I have used lumiere paints and that was an option I considered. I may go that way for my knockoff but the foil gives it a slickness that I don't think you get with paints. I wish I could show you the garments. One is online but just looks like a boring simple grey top. You don't pick up the sheen at all unless you see it in person.

I will definitely be doing some experimenting when I get back. The top requires a lot of coverage with the shine. Ever get obsessed with an idea?

------

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker

Date: 11/22/11 10:46 AM

Marci Tilton does quite a bit with foils...some of her projects and info may interest you.
Marci Tilton Foil Info

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker

Date: 11/22/11 12:44 PM

Quote:
Ever get obsessed with an idea?

Yes.

Marilyn, beautiful results.

JannW, just got my first Marci Tilton fabric order yesterday and was blown away by seeming out of the box quality. Hope they hold up to scrutiny as time goes by, but the first impression was great.

My exploration with fabric paint back in '88-'89 was using a light hand with metallics or jewel tones matched to tiny portions of a print and slightly increasing the embellishment as the print approached the neckline. It will be fun to play with the foil and now I'm wondering if the Martha Stewart type craft stamps would be good for cutting stencils (obsessed). Might try combining it with sketchy embroidery too, to keep a embroidered fabric pliable and to cut back on the use of thread, etc.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Sew Whatever
star
Sew Whatever  Friend of PR
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/24/10
Send Message

Date: 11/25/11 6:07 PM

One way of doing flat foiling is to cut your motif from a fusible web like Wonder Under or something similar. Choose a light version.

1.Press the fusible to the fabric following the recommended method for the fusible, then take the backing paper off.
2.lay the foil onto the adhesive NOTE: Make Sure You Have the shiny colour side up ...it is like a mirror and the colour shines up through the plastic it is attached to.
3.Press the foil onto the adhesive with an iron set to cotton or just under. Leave it to cool before you peel the foil sheet away. this lets the glue get firm again. If you pull away too soon, you will get bits of adhesive on your foil which will transfer elsewhere when you don't want them. Ask me how I know.

If you don't want such a solid block of foil. you can use a fusible called Misty Fuse. I used it one time for foiling moons onto a skirt. They were much more ethereal which was better for me than a solid silver circle of bling. The Misty Fuse doesn't have backing paper, so you use it with baking parchment when you are pressing it. Because it is more of an open web, it also doesn't change the hand of the fabric as much as some of the others.

you can get holographic foils too!

------
Sandy in the UK
A practitioner of the Chop, Chop, Sew, Sew method of sewing
(otherwise known as Make It Up in Your Head!)

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Sew Whatever

Date: 11/25/11 6:19 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Now, with all of the frantic and deeply discounted weekend sales over here, I'm wondering if the Misty Fuse could be fed through a Cri-Cut or Accu-Quilt type cutter sandwiched between paper to cut in intricate shapes.

One more reason (excuse) to look into one of those machines.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

Subject: Am I Foiled? Date: 11/25/11 8:48 PM

Thanks for the Marcy Tilton foil info, very informative. You all are giving me even more inspiration to "foil it". On Tilton's site it suggests Steam a Seam Lite.

The cricut idea sounds fascinating as does the Misty Fuse. Great ideas.

------

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker

Date: 11/25/11 9:02 PM

The only time I ever "foiled" anything was doing gold leaf on a hallway mirror. Wish I could help more, although this sounds like the story of how the producers of the Wizard of Oz dressed up the Tin Man....Scary!

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker

Date: 12/3/11 11:34 AM

I just took a class on foiling at Quilt Festival last month. I've had the books and the supplies for years but never got around to trying it. What fun! My favorite was using fusible web like Sew Whatever described above, but we also did stenciling with foil adhesive and that was fun, too.

I haven't had a chance to use it on any actual projects yet (I've been working overtime since the beginning of October with no end in sight until Christmas), but I envision all my hand-dyed scarves getting a foil design. It's awesome on silk habotai.

We also did a technique with fusible thread which makes wonderful fine swirly lines. Hard to control where the thread goes, though (it just sort of puddles) but a nice free-form accent around a bigger motif.

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Am I "Foiled"?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Ottobre Design Magazine 04-2011-5

photo
by: Ghainskom

Review
Burda 8358

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
You Sew Girl Panel Bag

You Sew Girl Panel Bag

Buy Now
BRUSH FRINGE JACKET, a CD book by Kenneth King

BRUSH FRINGE JACKET, a CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.