SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > Being in a video ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Being in a video
What to wear, and makeup? Ugh.
HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

Date: 11/22/11 11:38 AM

I am going to be recorded in two videos this Saturday. In one I will be playing the piano, and in the other I will be having a mock piano lesson, so I have to wear two different outfits. Now, the good part is probably hardly anyone will watch them, but the bad part is they will be up on the internet on a blog for a good long time, so I'd like to look my best if possible.

I'm thinking black for the first video, and jeans or slacks + top in the second. For makeup, I usually wear a sheer liquid foundation, and then a little blusher and eye shadow, and maybe lipstick, but I usually look so washed out in photos that I feel I must be missing something. (When my husband saw the group photo from PR Day, he said, "Your eyes are closed," but they weren't. They just disappear in pictures.) And then there's my hair . . .

Probably don't have time for a makeover (and those department store makeup counters frighten me), but does anyone have any easy tips? Thanks.

Doctor Sister

Doctor Sister  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 11/5/06
Send Message

Date: 11/22/11 11:44 AM

My only advice, Wear solid colors. No stripes, no big prints (maybe a little tiny overall print but that's risky). If possible check ahead of time what color the background will be and wear something that is different than that color. (but that goes).
I actually had to go to class on being interviewed and that was the most helpful advice. I love watching people on tv and seeing how stripes and prints come across. (it's unpredictable and usually not good).
Sis

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 11/22/11 11:58 AM

Well, I get washed out in photos sometimes so I'll be interested to read what people suggest. I do know darker colors and solids are preferred. Definitely get a manicure as your hands are a focus.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 11/22/11 12:15 PM

For starters- practice your look. Do your makeup, use the camera and the lights to to see what you get. Even if it's not the same camera, you'll still get a good idea just using your point and shoot digital.

Smashbox.com has a great selection of how-to makeup videos- I love their stuff.

From the closed eye problem, I'm going to guess you have hooded eyes, where your lids droop onto your lashes. Here's a
Makeup Geek tutorial for that.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 11/22/11 6:09 PM

Do you look good in black? If you often look washed out in photos, I'd go for a color that's less harsh (charcoal, navy, or chocolate... or even a soft color like cream or yellow).

Good luck! I've done a couple of TV interviews, and I always rely on my TV producer friend (and TV news professor dad) for pointers.

------
~Gem in the prairie

Annie- oh
star
Annie- oh
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 2/7/04
Send Message

In reply to Coconuts

Date: 11/22/11 7:47 PM

Wow, thanks for the links. Off subject, but...

I went to a department store for eye makeup help before my HS reunion last month, and though I love what I'm doing now, I wanted more, especially for night.

The Makeup Geek Tutorial pointed out something that's going to be better for me (less at the upper brow line).

Thanks for posting these! I'm all for this eye makeup - so many people at my reunion said they remembered my eyes...and I haven't seen any of them for 50 years

------
I try all things. I achieve what I can. "Moby Dick"

We stand here confronted by insurmountable opportinities. Pogo

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to HarrietHomeowner

Date: 11/23/11 10:19 AM

Harriet - unless you have great colouring and strong bone structure (think Liz Taylor), black will make you look very washed out. You do need to wear strong colours close to your face - I have been told that turquoise and fuchsia are great for everyone as far as being photographed goes.

For makeup, you do need a lot more than usual. I am always surprised that our ballroom photos look quite natural, in spite of the fact that I really trowel it on and wear fake lashes. So the suggestion to take photos of yourself is a good one. It also is a good idea to stand as far back from your mirror as possible, as that gives you a better picture than the foot or so away that we normally have in our bathrooms.

Sit up straight, don't slouch, speak slowly (yes, mom!), smile and have fun.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

Date: 11/23/11 11:20 AM

Actually, I think black is a good color for me. I am a classic olive-skinned "winter" -- strong, cool colors are best. Anything with brown or a lot of yellow in it (like cream) looks horrible on me, as do pastels.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet. Thanks for posting it, and thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can get my husband to do a trial photo shoot beforehand. And if I do end up looking goofy on the video, well, there are worse things. I'll live.

Debbie Lancaster
star
Debbie Lancaster  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/02
Send Message

Date: 11/23/11 2:48 PM

That fuchsia dress you reviewed looks really good on you. You're right about the strong colors.

For photos and video, you do need to up the makeup, but there's a fine line between looking great and looking like Bozo the Clown. Definitely practice with a video camera beforehand! Lighting can also make a huge difference, so if you know beforehand what the lighting is going to be, you could try to simulate it.

------
Debbie

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to HarrietHomeowner

Date: 11/23/11 7:29 PM

In that case, do black, but do a jewel toned scarf or something near your face. You will look like a million bucks.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Being in a video

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 99383-1000

photo
by: julliams

Review
Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell

Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell

Buy Now
8 1/2 inch LEFTY Dressmaking Shears

8 1/2 inch LEFTY Dressmaking Shears

Buy Now
Self Drafted Pattern 56777-1002

photo
by: jorth

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.